Anyone know if Civ5 has been pirated yet?

Speaking of "renting" games. I feel that too. I bought Civilization III Gold Edition through the internet. When I got it I could only get 3 reactivation codes, after that I had to buy it again. That was very disappointing, now I dont have it anymore, yet I paid for it. I really miss that game.

This means that if you change hardware in your computer, you need to reinstall it, so this basically means that if you change hardware in your computer more than 3 times, you need more activation codes and you need to buy it again.

I was so disappointed when I could not reinstall it again, I sat there and thought about the cash I gave them.

Yes, Civ V with Babylon has been pirated. Not sure about the Mongols DLC or patches but probably them as well. It's on various illegal torrent sites as you would expect.

On the subject of DRM, the Witcher 2 is being released with little or no DRM from most stores, and with a Premium edition and Digital Premium edition (lotsa extra goodies) for the regular price. It's on GoG (they get even more extra stuff), Steam and Impulse for the Digital Premium version.

Speaking of "renting" games. I feel that too. I bought Civilization III Gold Edition through the internet. When I got it I could only get 3 reactivation codes, after that I had to buy it again. That was very disappointing, now I dont have it anymore, yet I paid for it. I really miss that game.

This means that if you change hardware in your computer, you need to reinstall it, so this basically means that if you change hardware in your computer more than 3 times, you need more activation codes and you need to buy it again.

I was so disappointed when I could not reinstall it again, I sat there and thought about the cash I gave them.

What crappy store did you get it from? This is why I never post anything about the EA Store, because I know they use limits (which are supposedly reusable when you uninstall, but they even admit that doesn't always work and then you're stuck phoning their support line).

As for changing hardware, I've swapped out my hardware (almost all of it at one point, and other times just a couple of parts) and never had to reinstall anything :/

As for Civ3, its not too expensive from a few reliable stores that won't limit your downloads:

http://www.gamersgate.com/DD-CIV3/civilization-iii-complete

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=civilization+iii&x=0&y=0

It is my hope that Steam has done a good job at preventing or at least reduced the number of pirated copies. I don't visit those sites because they're riddled with viruses and spyware from what I hear, and I like to financially support pc gaming. PC gaming needs all the help it can get in the war against consoles.

Anyhow, has there been any news on Civ5 being cracked? I hope the answer is no, and if it has been cracked then at least I hope they can't access the modded content.

I like to think Steam helps as a solid form of anti-piracy. As mentioned, I bet there are people who still have managed to do it.

I just did a quick search on Google News and absolutely nothing came up, so this is a very good thing. It looks like Steam is doing a good job in that regard. Nice.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

do a "good" search, then. Pirated to the latest update, far ago. Steam only punishes us, the stupid buyers.

Everything gets pirated. It's impossible to completely prevent it, but it is possible to make it so inconvenient, that people would rather just pirate it, than go through the hassle [to buy the game].
I think this is very true.

Yes, Civ V with Babylon has been pirated. Not sure about the Mongols DLC or patches but probably them as well. It's on various illegal torrent sites as you would expect.

On the subject of DRM, the Witcher 2 is being released with little or no DRM from most stores, and with a Premium edition and Digital Premium edition (lotsa extra goodies) for the regular price. It's on GoG (they get even more extra stuff), Steam and Impulse for the Digital Premium version.

Indeed, the Witcher 2 will have no DRM at all.

By the way, technically, Torrent sites are not illegal, because they contain no copyrighted material. In a way, if you made torrent sites illegal, you would have to make internet providers illegal. It's just a means of communication, agnostic to the content that goes through it. You have a ton of completely legit stuff being exchanged via torrents.

I noticed the game was cracked the very day it was released... ( I am guessing someone leaking info from the development team, or those hackers are really good...)
I have to admit I was a bit in a dilemma, as the release was limited to several countries at first, but luckily I was able to buy a digital copy from a website that had no limitations for Macedonia (it was frustrating to get several websites refuse payment as you were not from a listed region).
Anyway, I bet a cracked game is full of spy ware or back doors allowing hackers to mess with your PC... So better stay on the safe side.
Besides, if you want to ever see CIV 6, then you`d better pay for the game and support its development

One thing i noticed about DRM's...
People seem to always rant about how a game "needs yout o be online at all times, even when doing single player".

Even for Civ 5 this was done about having to have steam online etc...

Why haven't anyone pissed on blizzards parade with Starcraft 2?
Exact same DRM "Online at all Times" even for Single Player mission.

My guess is that the "reviewers community" has a backbone of whipcream, and doesn't dare to slagg on blizzard, while it is rightfully so deserved.

One thing i noticed about DRM's...
People seem to always rant about how a game "needs yout o be online at all times, even when doing single player".

Even for Civ 5 this was done about having to have steam online etc...

Why haven't anyone pissed on blizzards parade with Starcraft 2?
Exact same DRM "Online at all Times" even for Single Player mission.

My guess is that the "reviewers community" has a backbone of whipcream, and doesn't dare to slagg on blizzard, while it is rightfully so deserved.

Never played Starcraft, but it sucks to have to be online even for a single player game IMHO, when it does not effectively prevent piracy... It is just increasing my stress level, as I have to wait for steam to start, connect to account, and I have to be spammed by game offers everytime i play

Never played Starcraft, but it sucks to have to be online even for a single player game IMHO, when it does not effectively prevent piracy... It is just increasing my stress level, as I have to wait for steam to start, connect to account, and I have to be spammed by game offers everytime i play

And Steam uses extra resources. Hell it uses more than my sidebar, and it stays in the background unless you manually close it.

Steam is adware, that's what I object to, especially when I have taken so many steps to make sure I'm not infected by normal adware, such as the pernicious doubleclick, which this site wants to install (shame on you!).

Indeed, the Witcher 2 will have no DRM at all.

By the way, technically, Torrent sites are not illegal, because they contain no copyrighted material. In a way, if you made torrent sites illegal, you would have to make internet providers illegal. It's just a means of communication, agnostic to the content that goes through it. You have a ton of completely legit stuff being exchanged via torrents.

BS.
It depends on the country.
You can't make blanket statements like this. There are countries where sites that grant access to illegal pirated material are themselves illegal.
Otherwise, I guess the former people of Piratebay will get a quick pardon. Guess not.

Edit: Unless you mean Torrent Sites that only grant access to legal material, and actively hunts down any illegal material posted.

What crappy store did you get it from?

I had actually forgot where I bought it so I needed to google it again. And I'm pretty sure I bought it from here: http://www.civ3.com/

I recall that design and layout of that website, with the beautiful civ image on top-right. Cant believe they havent changed the look of that site since then, its still the same.

There was a buy button somewhere on that site... The receipt of my buy is stacked on my old computer which is stacked in a dark and cold place not to be easily accessed in this moment, so I can't tell with 100% certainty, but i'm still confident thats where I got it from.

If i recall correctly, I downloaded it for free and the buy button was in the program itself, in the installer, and it redirected me to a visa site inside the install program.

And Steam uses extra resources. Hell it uses more than my sidebar, and it stays in the background unless you manually close it.

Steam is adware, that's what I object to, especially when I have taken so many steps to make sure I'm not infected by normal adware, such as the pernicious doubleclick, which this site wants to install (shame on you!).
Sigh.

1. You can disable the notifications in the Settings menu (click on Steam in the upper left corner, then Settings). Some people, like myself, enjoy them (its the ONLY advertising I see that is actually relevant to my interests), but I can see why people don't like them, hence why they are optional.

2. Steam doesn't use very many resources, it usually uses about 5 MBs of my RAM (I have 2 gigs), maybe 10. It uses more of course if you have the window open, the store and community pages loaded up, but there are plenty of other processes that use similar or more system resources and it really isn't a problem (if it is then you probably can't run Civ5 anyways).

3. If the few seconds it takes for Steam to start and log in is raising your stress level you might have more pressing psychological problems to worry about.

4. Steam doesn't have to be online, though going into offline mode isn't as streamlined as it should be.

What is this doubleclick thing you are talking about?

It is my hope that Steam has done a good job at preventing or at least reduced the number of pirated copies. I don't visit those sites because they're riddled with viruses and spyware from what I hear, and I like to financially support pc gaming. PC gaming needs all the help it can get in the war against consoles.

Anyhow, has there been any news on Civ5 being cracked? I hope the answer is no, and if it has been cracked then at least I hope they can't access the modded content.

You don't know if civ5 has been 'pirated' yet, and you 'heard' 'those sites' are riddled with viruses and spyware.
:mischief:
Who turns your PC on for you in the morning?

Sigh.

1. You can disable the notifications in the Settings menu (click on Steam in the upper left corner, then Settings). Some people, like myself, enjoy them (its the ONLY advertising I see that is actually relevant to my interests), but I can see why people don't like them, hence why they are optional.

2. Steam doesn't use very many resources, it usually uses about 5 MBs of my RAM (I have 2 gigs), maybe 10. It uses more of course if you have the window open, the store and community pages loaded up, but there are plenty of other processes that use similar or more system resources and it really isn't a problem (if it is then you probably can't run Civ5 anyways).

3. If the few seconds it takes for Steam to start and log in is raising your stress level you might have more pressing psychological problems to worry about.

4. Steam doesn't have to be online, though going into offline mode isn't as streamlined as it should be.

What is this doubleclick thing you are talking about?

Thanks for the help, will disable ads next time and will no longer whine about that part...
Regarding point 3, I am running on minimum requirements (processor is not even dual core) so you might imagine loading the game takes a huge amount of time :)

I'd like the ads if they took into account what games you played. Anything that isn't FPS/TBS/Civ I just don't care about unless it's so awesome I would've heard about it anyways.

BS.
It depends on the country.
You can't make blanket statements like this. There are countries where sites that grant access to illegal pirated material are themselves illegal.
Otherwise, I guess the former people of Piratebay will get a quick pardon. Guess not.

Edit: Unless you mean Torrent Sites that only grant access to legal material, and actively hunts down any illegal material posted.

The Internet grants you access to all that material. Make your own conclusions.

I just did a quick search on Google News and absolutely nothing came up, so this is a very good thing. It looks like Steam is doing a good job in that regard. Nice.

wtf are you talking about?
you search pirate things on google news?

hope fbi is not searching bin laden home in there too...

Omg... did we ever discuss the very same issues at great length(s) over at the GC2 Forums for months - if not years!

DRM, Impulse's GOO, Piracy, Copyrights, perspective potential of true sales for both distributors & designer studios, EA's Securom and just about everything else related.

I'll sum up my own humble opinion in a quick but obvious sentence;

"IF you are running a Pirated copy of *insert your favorite software title here* -- you simply are a thief just as much as those making it available through illegal means!"

Top Bottom