Figure out what Attila is speaking

According to dialogue box he supposed to say "The son of Mundzuk greets you." or as we all expect sth like "I am Atilla" but i hear neither Mundzuk nor Atilla. Did anyone heard he said any of those?

The text in the dialog box is independent of what they're actually saying. See for example Washington and Elizabeth I. And notice that they always say the same thing when you meet them, but the text will be different. It's not meant to be a 1:1 match.

They probably had some linguistics and historians throw some mishmash together. After all, you only need a few lines and you are set.

Just find some words that have Hunnic roots and throw it in a blender. Whatever... it is probably more accurate than anything we would see today.

They probably had some linguistics and historians throw some mishmash together. After all, you only need a few lines and you are set.

Just find some words that have Hunnic roots and throw it in a blender. Whatever... it is probably more accurate than anything we would see today.

Since Suleiman talks like someone just learned modern Turkish(not the one being used at 15th century) and makes a lot of grammar mistakes, i start to believe that game's language department is slacking and make Atilla speak some make up language with every barbaric sounding word from various languages. It is sad when game developers aren't interested in game as much as us.

Since Suleiman talks like someone just learned modern Turkish(not the one being used at 15th century) and makes a lot of grammar mistakes, i start to believe that game's language department is slacking and make Atilla speak some make up language with every barbaric sounding word from various languages. It is sad when game developers aren't interested in game as much as us.

Or perhaps having the budget or resources to accomplish a truer language voice-over? Considering I do not listen to game sounds while I playing (I have my own music playing on iPod), I certainly do not want them to spend precious resources to track down and pay for an esoteric academic exercise. Coming up with something reasonable and inexpensively is the best solution given the needs in other areas of the game.

How do you guys know that Attila's language is fake? Maybe they found a speaker of some language in the Caucasus. If it's not Chuvash (though did the guy at Chuvash.org listened to the dialogue?), then I'm betting on Ossetian. They could have used Hungarian if they didn't want to put any effort. But they didn't. I still believe that Attila is speaking a real language.

I have to say, that if at first I thought that the idea of every leader speaking his country's language was cool, I do not think so now. I think it would have been much better if every leader would speak English, but with a different accent, like Bismarck with a German accent, Alexander with a Greek accent etc. It would've been much easier this way to record even more dialog. I mean, listening to the same sentences over and over again is really annoying. Another benefit is, of course, this way there is no need to look for people who speak languages like Nahuatl and Akkadian. Just research the way they sound and find people who can do the accent.

I have to say, that if at first I thought that the idea of every leader speaking his country's language was cool, I do not think so now. I think it would have been much better if every leader would speak English, but with a different accent, like Bismarck with a German accent, Alexander with a Greek accent etc. It would've been much easier this way to record even more dialog. I mean, listening to the same sentences over and over again is really annoying. Another benefit is, of course, this way there is no need to look for people who speak languages like Nahuatl and Akkadian. Just research the way they sound and find people who can do the accent.

Agreed
There was no real need for separate languages
Firaxis/2K just thought it's another fancy thing they can further advertise the game with

I myself would rather have simpler leaderscreens as well, if it means we can have multiple leaders - each with some sort of small bonuses, both positive and negative, and of course totally different personalities
It would much further increase the replayability and uniqueness of the game
Of course UAs would remain way more powerful than leader traits, that's just a little extra differentation between leaders
The main thing is the leader personality after all...

I think it would have been much better if every leader would speak English, but with a different accent, like Bismarck with a German accent, Alexander with a Greek accent etc. It would've been much easier this way to record even more dialog. I mean, listening to the same sentences over and over again is really annoying.

Sounds like a good idea, but don't forget that Civ is available in multiple languages (mmhh...9 at least), and your approach would make it necessary to record that all multiple times.

That, and how many things do they need to say? Is their speech going to match their dialog, or just kind of stand alone like now. Also, accents tend to be cheesy unless done very well.

I myself would rather have simpler leaderscreens as well, if it means we can have multiple leaders - each with some sort of small bonuses, both positive and negative, and of course totally different personalities
You already can do this. Simply duplicate the Civ (Possible), replace the Leaderhead with a static screen of a different leader (Possible), change their dialogue and flavours (Possible), and voila, you're done.

Now the usual complaint is that, "But it's not 3d and doesn't speak like the others". Well, if Firaxis had lowered their standards just to do what users can not only already do themselves but also to their ownliking, it would have obviously been a mistake.

Sorry if this sounds angry, it's certainly not meant to. :lol: I just think that the fact that Civ V is so moddable - especially compared to the modern trend of making a game as unmoddable as possible to increase profit margins - is consistently overlooked.

While I like this idea, the major problem I see are some overly-sensitive consumers getting offended by the accent of their language not being 100% perfect and politically correct.

NO!:mad:
Having characters speak English with an accent is IMO a horrible idea. If want them to be voice acted in English then just make all of the non-English speaking leaders speak in British English, but making them speak with national accents is just horrible. I think the way they did it in Civ5 is fine and nothing to complain about. Maybe it's just me but I've been playing PC games for a while now and hearing that typical Russian or German accent in games for the 100th time is just horrible, especially if the overdo it.

What? Most major Universities wouldn't have the necessary language department on hand.

How much time and money do you think they should spend to launch an expedition to the mountains to find someone to speak three lines of a dialogue that nobody listening to is going to understand anyhow?

Having them all speak English with accents would have been beyond cheesy. It probably would have taken me out of the game a bit. Plus, are you going to find German, French, and Italian people (different voices for each civ) with various accents so as to do the translations? Native speakers, to me, dramatically increases the immersion into the game - especially when well-acted. Augustus, Montezuma, Kamehameha, Harald, Catherine are all good examples.

Having them all speak English with accents would have been beyond cheesy. It probably would have taken me out of the game a bit. Plus, are you going to find German, French, and Italian people (different voices for each civ) with various accents so as to do the translations? Native speakers, to me, dramatically increases the immersion into the game - especially when well-acted. Augustus, Montezuma, Kamehameha, Harald, Catherine are all good examples.

:agree:

Sounds like a good idea, but don't forget that Civ is available in multiple languages (mmhh...9 at least), and your approach would make it necessary to record that all multiple times.

Which still would be way easier than looking for somebody who knows Akkadian and can record a few simple sentences.

It might be easier to find 300 people who speak the 9 required languages (in various accents), but is it better or more economical? It seems to me, paying the 35 or so people to speak the native languages would not only be cheaper, it would be a better experience. I feel like I'm playing Spain because Isabella is speaking Spanish not because a woman is speaking English while trying to sound like Penelope Cruz.

It might be easier to find 300 people who speak the 9 required languages (in various accents), but is it better or more economical? It seems to me, paying the 35 or so people to speak the native languages would not only be cheaper, it would be a better experience. I feel like I'm playing Spain because Isabella is speaking Spanish not because a woman is speaking English while trying to sound like Penelope Cruz.

I agree for the most part, but for old/dead languages, does it matter? It's cool that they try, but when it comes down to it I'm okay if it's relatively close. I don't mind if some of them are speaking modern equivalents just like I don't mind that George Washington sounds like Bill Clinton. :D

Another subject in this thread is that if they didn't spend so much time on the leaderheads then we would have multiple leaders for different civs. If that's the case, I'm glad. One leader per civ is a good decision. With multiple leaders we'd currently have about five American Civs and three Englands and a few Frances instead of Polynesia and the like.

I think they should try when they can. But I don't blame something like Egypt given the difficulty in finding a more accurate speaker and the fact that Ramses's voice actor is sounds really good.

Top Bottom