Maya

Probably. I still feel like we are missing something key for the UA. But at least gives me something to speculate about still. :)

It's possible that the Mayan UA would work something like this: Instead having 4 Great Person bars to fill,there is only 1 Great person bar to fill and every GPP goes there . When it's completed,you receive a notification to choose any Great Person . Such UA would be easy to balance and therefore,it wouldn't become Overpowered . If such guess is not the Mayan's UA,then it can be used in the future for other civilization,like Hebrews,for example .

Genji: Um, that's fairly horribly broken, IMO. A more balanced version of that is that you're not allowed to pick the same GP until you've picked one of each (possibly keeping General and Admiral together).

Pretty sure that the Mayan Long Count bonus is not just GP.

Remmert: I don't think it's random. I think that the bonus you get is dependent on what number 'moves'.

Genji: Um, that's fairly horribly broken, IMO. A more balanced version of that is that you're not allowed to pick the same GP until you've picked one of each (possibly keeping General and Admiral together).

I do think you mean that such UA could be easily abused if the person only decided to pick up GS or GE . Another way to solve such problem,while maintain the flexibility of this UA is to give differents bars increasing,depending on what GP the player choose . In this case,the Great Scientist will be the GP who increases more the GPP bar than any other GP . The increasing order would be like this:

Great Scientist>Great Engineer>Great Artist>Great Merchant .

In that case,the Great Merchant is the GP who increase the GP bar less than any other GP,while the Great Scientist is,on the other hand,the GP who most increase the GP bar . I decided to remove the Great Prophet/General/Admiral,because the GPP bar is,by default,limited to Great Scientist/Engineer/Artist/Merchant generation .

Pretty sure that the Mayan Long Count bonus is not just GP.

Like I said before,it's just a guess that could be used for another civ,if Mayan happens to not have such UA .

How many Long Counts are there in 6000 year, ie, how many 'events' will the Mayans get?

GenjiKhan: I do not see how giving that UA to another civilization over the Mayans would make any more balanced. :p

Montov: Someone posted that there is one every 400 years or so, so I guess about 15. That's the 'big ones'. They might get others. Note that if this follows a correspondence between Western calendars and the Mayan calendar, it's front-loaded. At the beginning of the game, it would be, what, one every 16 turns? Of course, 2K may have calibrated it quite differently.

This answers your first question, but does not necessarily answer your second. That would depend on whether the Maya years correspond with the Gregorian years when it comes to turns.

Louis: Thanks! I'll edit this post to find the turn #s that correspond to each of these.

Is there code below that to do a complete conversion?

here's the conversion, if the link is correct and the conversion is simple.

Long Count) Turn #
13) 23 (Note that this is very close to the fastest you can research Calendar, barring goodie hut)
1) 32
2) 42
3) 52
4) 62
5) 72
6) 86
7) 101
8) 117
9) 133
10) 152
11) 183
12) 234
13) (2012, very late game)

This answers your first question, but does not necessarily answer your second. That would depend on whether the Maya years correspond with the Gregorian years when it comes to turns.

1.0.0.0.0 November 13, 2720 BCE
2.0.0.0.0 February 16, 2325 BCE
3.0.0.0.0 May 21, 1931 BCE
4.0.0.0.0 August 23, 1537 BCE
5.0.0.0.0 November 26, 1143 BCE
6.0.0.0.0 February 28, 748 BCE
7.0.0.0.0 June 3, 354 BCE
8.0.0.0.0 September 5, 41 CE
9.0.0.0.0 December 9, 435
10.0.0.0.0 March 13, 830
11.0.0.0.0 June 15, 1224
12.0.0.0.0 September 18, 1618
13.0.0.0.0 December 21, 2012

These are the only ones that really matter.

Assuming that there's some trigger point (not the beginning of the game), then it's really only from the 3rd or 4th B'ak'tun to the 13th that would matter (about 10).

There's also 7ish Great People in the game.

So, yes, if you hit the 'trigger' very quickly, you'd likely get more early game, due to the date->turn size conversions, but late game the date->turn size is fairly small and therefore you'd get less, or more turns in between.

Assuming of course any of that was actually triggered on the b'ak'tun and the guy didn't just happen to randomly get the bonus for another reason.

If it triggers every Baktun and starts at Calendar, then you can knock several Baktun off the beginning while you build up techs to study Calendars.

MadDjinn: The screenshot I've seen of the Long Count Bonus showed that the Calendar had just hit 10.0.something.something. Or was it 11? Anyway, there was pretty good evidence that this happens on the tick.

It might also be that all the Mayans' Great Person points go into a single, larger pool that gives a player's choice of Great Person and that the Long Count ticks add a point value to that pool and can cause the Great Person choice to trigger then.

Eagle Pursuit: Maybe, but I find that farfetched. Now, if the Long Count bonus added, say, 20 points to every GP pool in every city, it might be like spitting out all kinds of GP at once. I really don't think that they're going to pool GPP.

I spent way too much time on this, but if the Maya Calendar follows a rough turn comparison with the Gregorian calendar, here is the result for each Long Count:

Year Turn
2720 - 33
2325 - 42
1931 - 52
1537 - 62
1143 - 73
748 - 85
354 - 101
41 AD - 116
435 - 133
830 - 152
1224 - 182
1618 - 234
2012 - 432

Ignoring the gap between the last two (which is 198 turns), the rest are very close together - sometimes only 10 turns apart. If I had to guess, they'd apply it far more linearly, rather than give you something every ten turns from turn 30-80. Alternatively, they'd give different bonuses, that don't add up to something so dramatic.

Er, Louis, I already did this, but okay? ;) *points up*

But why would they apply it linearly? This looks a LOT like the France benefit. It also almost forces you to research Calendar ASAP to gain the most benefit from the ability. Given that we don't know what it does completely yet... yeah, don't see the issue.

Louis added the turn numbers. ;)
But turn 152 is listed twice.

If you get to choose a Great Person, which looks like it, at least once, then those 10+ moments are too much.

Montov: Um, he added the years, but I did have the turn numbers already. *sigh*

You're probably right about the 'too much', but nothing else really makes much sense. Otherwise, the Mayans truly aren't operating in the same universe as the rest of the civs.

This would point to the bonus being either random, or something other than 'free GP', and they just had a placeholder graphic for it.

Ulthwithian, sorry, I missed that. Still, it's good to have two people do the math. Fixed the 152 twice as well.

Top Bottom