Guess what the next civ to be revealed will be!

So, the next civ will be

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
IMO the European civ options are reduced to Italy, Venice and Hungary
Italy has far more chances, being around 70-80%, while the other 2 around 10-15%

I agree with you. Given the scramble scenario, in addition to whatever clues there are, Italy just makes too much sense thematically. Particularly since Ethiopia is in the game.

In the same way, Morocco makes a ton of sense. BTW given Morocco, Songhai & Portugal all in the game, my guess for Moroccan leader is Ahmad al-Mansur (but that's just based on doing a lot of wiki'ing this week).

Initially, my mind flew to Congo being added, but with Zulu & Morocco in, plus Congo & Belgium seemingly eliminated by clues... and given we know there's a euro coming... it just has to be Italy, right?

I'm fully stoked by Morocco (assuming it's them).
I'm fully bummed by Italy (Kingdom of, I assume).

But facts is facts, and clues is clues, and I just have to reluctantly bank on Italy.

Even so, let me go ahead and put "Indonesia/Morocco/Sioux/Venice" out into the aether one more time in the hope that the universe magically manifests it.

I hope Italy (if it's in) is a Renaissance-based Civ rather than a modern one. A modern Italy which doesn't have Rome as its capital would be silly. At least I hope that they have a Renaissance leader and one Renaissance UU/UB, even if they then have a modern UU as well.

I hope Italy (if it's in) is a Renaissance-based Civ rather than a modern one. A modern Italy which doesn't have Rome as its capital would be silly. At least I hope that they have a Renaissance leader and one Renaissance UU/UB, even if they then have a modern UU as well.

I suspect it'll be something similar to how Germany and France were designed in vanilla.

Modern leader(Bismarck, Napleon and for Italy it'll be Victor Emanuel II)
Historic UA(Furor Teutonicus, Ancien Regime and for Italy it'll be something Renesaince related)
Modern UU(Panzer, FFL and for Italy it'll be the Bersaglieri)
Historic UU(Landsknecht, Musketeer and here you can be my guest at guessing the second Italian UU)

A modern Italy which doesn't have Rome as its capital would be silly.
Rome (Papal states) was one of the last parts of Italy to be added to the country during the risorgimento. They could get away with going for Turin.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kingdom_of_Sardinia-Piedmont#Territorial_evolution_of_Italy_from_1796_to_1860

Anyway. I still think it's going to be Venice, because Ragusa (Dubrovnik) is gone from CS-list and was Venetian but never Italian but for WWII. That or they go for the Normans and Ragusa (Sicily) is added as Norman Sicilian town... I think the Normans will be in, but won't be announced friday.

I see your point, but nevertheless I am convinced (or hoping at least) that Italy will be Renaissance in outlook for that reason.

Also, I thought it had been convincingly demonstrated that it's Venice that has been removed from the CS list, not Ragusa?

I suspect it'll be something similar to how Germany and France were designed in vanilla.

Modern leader(Bismarck, Napleon and for Italy it'll be Victor Emanuel II)
Historic UA(Furor Teutonicus, Ancien Regime and for Italy it'll be something Renesaince related)
Modern UU(Panzer, FFL and for Italy it'll be the Bersaglieri)
Historic UU(Landsknecht, Musketeer and here you can be my guest at guessing the second Italian UU)

This is possible, but the Great Works system makes me think they're going to make it narrower than this. A Renaissance-themed Italian civ would be the ideal match for Great Works, and I think they'll want to milk that. So some kind of UA that gives them more Great Artists (call it "Patronage of the Arts" or something), and a well-known Renaissance leader and art patron like Lorenzo de' Medici. I also don't think it's likely they'll get two UUs; Renaissance Italy saw its share of wars, but militarism isn't really what it's known for. More likely the second unique element would be a UB; something like a Galleria as a Museum with an extra Great Work slot, maybe. Possibly a token modern UU (even the obviously Viking-themed Danes got the Norwegian Ski thing), but more probably something that still fits the Renaissance theme. Well, that's how I would do it, anyway. I have not the slightest idea what they will do.

I'd quite like to see a Genoese Crossbowman as the Italian UU, though I think the most likely build is this:

Leader: Lorenzo de Medici
Capital: Florence
UA: Great Works/Culture/Tourism-related
UU: Modern, Carabinieri or Bersaglieri (latter more likely)
UB: Art Gallery, a Museum replacement with extra GW slots (or something similar)/a replacement for one of the Guilds that improves GA generation

The civ focused on international trade most likely be Morocco. So I doubt there will be Venice as one more trade-oriented civ is a bit too much. If there will be some Italy, I expect it to be focused on great works, so either Florence or, more probably, Italian states.

But I want Hungary :)

Here's one I posted once:

Leader: Lorenzo de' Medici
Capital: Florence
UA: Patron of the Arts (or whatever); +(however much)% to Great Artist generation. Receive free Great Artist on entering the Renaissance Era.
UB: Galleria (or whatever); Replaces Museum. Has an extra Great Work slot.
UU: No idea. Some kind of ship for Venice, or Swiss Guard for the Papal States, or Condottieri, or whatever. The Italian focus wouldn't really be on military anyway.

That's only one way to do it, of course, and it's not without its flaws. The simple increase to Great Artist spawn rate might overlap too much with Brazil, for example. But if it's a Renaissance-themed Italy (as opposed to Venice or a more modern incarnation of Italy), it should definitely be Great Works-oriented in some way rather than trade-oriented.

ETA: When I said "ship for Venice, or Swiss Guard for the Papal States", I didn't mean "if it's in as Venice or the Papal States". I meant as the UU for Italy itself, as a nod to the fact that it includes the Venetian Republic and the Papal States. In all honesty, the UU is the aspect of a Renaissance Italian civ that I would be least interested about. It could be the Blackshirts with some kind of Ideology tie-in as its token "modern" element for all I care. As long as the rest of the civ is Great Works-oriented, it would be a great fit for the new system.

If it's renaissance-themed, lets go with "receive one great artist of each type at Renaissance"

Also, I'm suspecting Morocco for this teaser.

I agree with you. Given the scramble scenario, in addition to whatever clues there are, Italy just makes too much sense thematically. Particularly since Ethiopia is in the game.

Ethiopia is in G&K, but is it going to be in BNW?

Ethiopia is in G&K, but is it going to be in BNW?

By default - no, GnK civs will not be in BNW, but we discuss finished game with all civs inside.

They could, they just haven't said anything yet. I believe Spain was announced fairly early on with G&K so you would expect to hear something by now.

Says who? It still seems fairly likely.

With Morocco and Italy both almost certain inclusions now (the Morocco "slip" and Venice being removed), added to the known alphabetical order (where Italy and Morocco would take up the remaining places before 'Po'), that leave Indonesia seemingly extremely unlikely. Personally I dislike the idea of Italy being added, and Indonesia was a Civilization that personally sat amongst my favourite options for this expansion, but there is little need to delude ourselves the the facts go clearly against what we desire.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom