City States Update

One possible new civ that uses the Motte & bailey are the Viking kingdom of the vandals. It existed in southeast Spain and scicilly? amongst other places. If Norway can't be a civ,then any form are good enough for me

Vandals weren't Viking, nor did they use Motte and Bailey.

At which time we'd have seen all the new city states. If this is the case then we'd expect that Venice would be one of the two remaining city states.

civs...

This is based on the city state replacement analysis which previously showed that in all cases where a city state had taken a known colour-type combination it was a replacement.

The trouble with this is that there haven't been any of these since G&K, and this assumes that the observed colour-type combinations known from BNW are direct replacements where these are preoccupied (e.g. Riga=Venice). DLC CS replacement switched like for like, but that may merely have been due to time constraints and ease of programming - a CS of that colour-type already existed, so why not just change the name?

An alternative remains that the very lack of correspondence you've shown here between city states removed and the colour/type combinations of known BNW city states indicates that there is no like-for-like replacement in this expansion. If that's the case (which seems the less likely scenario, but not to the degree that I'd say the alternative is "almost certain"), then one argument for Venice is on shaky ground (although it's still supported by the absence of other plausible European civs that fit the alphabet clue).

The trouble with this is that there haven't been any of these since G&K, and this assumes that the observed colour-type combinations known from BNW are direct replacements where these are preoccupied (e.g. Riga=Venice). DLC CS replacement switched like for like, but that may merely have been due to time constraints and ease of programming - a CS of that colour-type already existed, so why not just change the name?

An alternative remains that the very lack of correspondence you've shown here between city states removed and the colour/type combinations of known BNW city states indicates that there is no like-for-like replacement in this expansion. If that's the case (which seems the less likely scenario, but not to the degree that I'd say the alternative is "almost certain"), then one argument for Venice is on shaky ground (although it's still supported by the absence of other plausible European civs that fit the alphabet clue).

Panama City is a replacement for Rio de Janeiro, whilst Bratislava is a replacement for Warsaw, this by the same method that all the other replacements were found.

Also, in Gods & Kings the replacements were done as well, not just in the DLC. There has also never been a situation were a city state has been given a known colour type without it being a replacement, and there have been plenty of these to base observations on.

You also seem to forget the colour matching for the unknown civ to the colours on the Venetian Flag as it is on Wikipedia, which has lottery level odds of happening by chance.

Speaking of city state updates it would be nice, if there was to be another expansion, if they could somehow change diplomacy so your city state ties have more of a history/loyalty. Or just change diplomatic victory completely. It's really more an economic victory than a diplomatic one anyway. You can free all of the city states in the world from the Mongolians but for a chunk of change they will suddenly be best friends with their former captors

Speaking of city state updates it would be nice, if there was to be another expansion, if they could somehow change diplomacy so your city state ties have more of a history/loyalty. Or just change diplomatic victory completely. It's really more an economic victory than a diplomatic one anyway. You can free all of the city states in the world from the Mongolians but for a chunk of change they will suddenly be best friends with their former captors

They have changed the way that diplomatic victories work dramatically in the expansion.

civs...

Dude, give it up already. If all these hints and indirect evidence pointing to Venice weren't enough, they were pretty much confirmed as solid with the not-so-subtle hint from the PCGamer reviewer.

To be honest, I wonder if the game devs read these forums and after the early on Venice/Riga analysis by menzies, decided to keep Venice hidden until the very end and kept dropping all those hints, like the flag, for and giggles.

I suspect it would be more along the lines of having noticed large amounts of anti-Venice/Italy rhetoric, they would delay naming them so that there is less time for negativity before the game goes on sale.

Well, I think there are lots of people that are huge fans of Venice being added too. Plus, given that it's a well-known secret at this point, revealing helps make the last one a total surprise. That being said, I could see them releasing it last because people know who they are (so there's no risk of people saying "who?").

I suspect it would be more along the lines of having noticed large amounts of anti-Venice/Italy rhetoric, they would delay naming them so that there is less time for negativity before the game goes on sale.

To be honest, I doubt anyone will actually care once they are announced. In fact, I'd go as far as saying that by the time Civ VI is getting expansion packs, people will be demanding Venice.

The negativity you see on CFC is a tiny, tiny fraction of the audience the devs are considering. Have you seen the people on facebook? They represent a much larger audience, but even then they're still a fraction of the people who will buy and play Civ. I don't think the devs care as much as we think - they do care, of course, otherwise they wouldn't have chosen Indonesia or Poland in the first place, for instance, but we're just one of many things on their mind.

And despite all that, I'm pretty sure that, save for a most unserene few, even most anti-Venice people will still buy BNW anyways.

cybrxkhan, while I am not a Venice fan I am just excited about the expantion pack in general. I can't think of a realistic civ idea that would cause me to refuse to buy it. I am generally for geographic representation so I did have a nightmare after the Portugal and Zulu announcement that the final 4 were Italy, Gauls, Franks and Normans. I think they have done a good job this time of creating new and interesting civs.

Also - in that video, pause it at 1:32 - there appears to be a new cultural city state in the top-right background called Kyzyl. I'm now looking it up as I've never heard of it before...

EDIT: It appears it's the capital of Tuva Republic (currently part of Russia) - I wonder if they included it because of the title of this thread: http://forums.2kgames.com/showthread.php?189256-Why-no-Kongo-Italy-Sioux-Tannu-Tuva-etc :p

It is also called the center of Asia. BTW, it seems like it has Florence's colors. Have we seen Florence yet?

From that video, Samarkand and Kyzyl are new, Katmandu changed to religious.

It is also called the center of Asia. BTW, it seems like it has Florence's colors. Have we seen Florence yet?

From that video, Samarkand and Kyzyl are new, Katmandu changed to religious.

According to Menzies' list, Kyzyl is Middle Cyan Cultured where Florence is Cyan Cultured, so it's not a replacement. However, Menzies may change his mind and decide that It is regular Cyan after all. He's been known to mistake similar looking colors. ;)

Top Bottom