Plane boring

Juanholio

Warlord
I'm stuck in a game with tediously long turn times. I play with all animations switched off for expediency yet for some strange reason aircraft relocation animations remain. Fair enough, but is it really necessary for the AI on my borders to swap cities every single turn?

In this game I have Germany on my borders with 12 aircraft in one city and 6 in the other so every turn 18 plane moving animations. In previous games I've killed cities and essentially ruined the immersion just to stop this behaviour. Surely it's an easy fix to either implement 'quick movement' properly or just not have the ai constantly moving planes to totally pointless cities.

I'm not sure if there are any changes since G&K in this regard but I'm noticing this a lot more recently. In the past I've killed the city (or nuked) and the problem is solved so I'm pretty certain the animations (which I've opted out of) are adding the time.

I don't remember ever seeing the animation of AI relocating their planes, and I play with movement animations on. Is there some other setting for this?

I don't remember ever seeing the animation of AI relocating their planes, and I play with movement animations on. Is there some other setting for this?

As far as I know there is only 'quick movement' which toggles all movement animations. Regarding the aircraft movement ones, the AI has them just like the player. It's only noticable with unit/city visibility - I'm assuming units in the FoW aren't animated.

I have a decent pc so turn times aren't a problem but I notice a definite slow-down with this. I've just noticed the patch notes refer to an issue being fixed with turn times but not what it is.

It just seems odd to me that switching off animations works for everything else but this, regardless of how stupid the AI is with the air units. Often, though, they're triplanes or fighters so can never be set up to intercept.

I much prefer watching the animations for units moving and fighting, but since changing both to "quick", my turn times have been drastically slashed. I have a top end PC too, so it's nothing to do with processing.

I don't even miss the animations any more.

Thet should have given a slider for accelerating animations rather than a binary on/off switch. Worst part is that move speed can be modded to make them faster, but it looks like fight speed can't. Unfortunately, switching them off will remove some informations when combat occurs and you just loose units without even knowing who hits them. And no, the logs don't keep this information and with quick combat, the scrolling text is gone to fast to be able to read it. :mad:

Unfortunately, switching them off will remove some informations when combat occurs and you just loose units without even knowing who hits them. And no, the logs don't keep this information and with quick combat, the scrolling text is gone to fast to be able to read it. :mad:

This is one of my biggest remaining annoyances with CiV. After the scrolling text (exceedingly quickly) disappears, you have no record whatsoever of what just happened. Would it be so hard to add a way to toggle back and review that text at your leisure, with a simple hotkey press?

I'm stuck in a game with tediously long turn times. I play with all animations switched off for expediency yet for some strange reason aircraft relocation animations remain. Fair enough, but is it really necessary for the AI on my borders to swap cities every single turn?

In this game I have Germany on my borders with 12 aircraft in one city and 6 in the other so every turn 18 plane moving animations. In previous games I've killed cities and essentially ruined the immersion just to stop this behaviour. Surely it's an easy fix to either implement 'quick movement' properly or just not have the ai constantly moving planes to totally pointless cities.

I'm not sure if there are any changes since G&K in this regard but I'm noticing this a lot more recently. In the past I've killed the city (or nuked) and the problem is solved so I'm pretty certain the animations (which I've opted out of) are adding the time.

I got the same problem. need to be fixed in a patch

Aircraft rebasing, isn't that taking, what, a second? All I can see is something that swooshed past the screen and then they have moved.

I've seen it. It's delayed so it doesn't extend their turns. They move them all at once and then it shows the squadron of planes leaving one by one.

I'd still like to know what's so hard about making the AI just say "yeah, that unit is doing just fine where it is, I'm not moving it this turn".

The AI doesn't even have the most basic positioning scripts going for it...

Thet should have given a slider for accelerating animations rather than a binary on/off switch. Worst part is that move speed can be modded to make them faster, but it looks like fight speed can't. Unfortunately, switching them off will remove some informations when combat occurs and you just loose units without even knowing who hits them. And no, the logs don't keep this information and with quick combat, the scrolling text is gone to fast to be able to read it. :mad:

There is a slider, but it is hand made ;)

It's a minimod with some little lines of code that change the speed of the animations. I use it since... forever. Best of both worlds, still get nice animations but at twice the speed for land/sea units, and 4x for planes.

I can share it if you want, but it has some other stuff in it (like silencing that annoying voice that tells me the "story" of a civilization, or speaks nonsense when I discover a technology... :D

Want it?

Aircraft rebasing, isn't that taking, what, a second? All I can see is something that swooshed past the screen and then they have moved.

Sure each one seems to me to take about 2-3 seconds but for every plane so in my case 18 planes, which I guess it's something like 45 seconds a turn. Admitidly this doesn't sound like much but is a bit frustrating when they're doing nothing but swapping cities every turn. Plus over the course of, say, fifty turns that's more than half an hour.

This is, of course, assuming the animations are actually adding to the turn time and no other useful processing is happening behind the scenes. In previous games I've captured cities (with over a dozen air units) for this and noticed an improvement in times so I believe this to be the case.

Again, that this is happening at all when I've switched off unit animations just seems odd to me. This isn't the only inconsistency, however: for example if you use a nuke with animations you get a brief glimpse of the territory around the target. With animations off you don't. Also as stated above without animations it can be difficult to judge what happens in combat.

There is a slider, but it is hand made ;)

It's a minimod with some little lines of code that change the speed of the animations. I use it since... forever. Best of both worlds, still get nice animations but at twice the speed for land/sea units, and 4x for planes.

I can share it if you want, but it has some other stuff in it (like silencing that annoying voice that tells me the "story" of a civilization, or speaks nonsense when I discover a technology... :D

Want it?

I WANT it! Especially the other stuff it does. Good voice actor, but daaaaamn...

I WANT it! Especially the other stuff it does. Good voice actor, but daaaaamn...

There you are.

Put it inside your mod folder... if you want to change speeds of animations, go into Rules.sql with any text editor, and change the numbers (they are multiples). Very intuitive to do.

Enjoy the best of both worlds ;)

Thanks, pal. :cool:

Top Bottom