[Religion and Revolution]: Feedback and Questions

Wow... you reply so fast...

So, you think it is a bug, not a feature? (i.e., assigning a key is done in RaR with another sequence for avoiding conflicts with some features)?...
oooch... how comes I would be the 1st one noticing it: assigning shortcuts is so common in TBG/RTS/RPG games (and in all Civ games)

- In order to help you tracking, I attach a saved game done just BEFORE hitting Ctrl+0 (it is the same with 1, 2 to 0) for assigning the 0 key on my seasoned scout...
- and a saved game just AFTER hitting Ctrl+0, without doing anything thing else, so then, perhaps, it can help tracking a change... It is still a colonit, but skill is lost (and key 0 not assigned)
- I also attach my DxDiag, rebuild just now for having what I have in my computer at the exact moment of my saved games.

My game version (downloaded/installed 4 days ago): Religion & Revolution 2.4 (rev 1033 -01.04.15)
I Have also TAC_2.03Final installed. No other mod. Original Col version (not a Steam version but full Civ4 "Gold" DVD version fully updated 1.01f)

Attachments

• BEFORE doing a ctrl and 0 on seasoned scout.ColonizationSave
    334.5 KB · Views: 61
  • AFTER doing a ctrl and 0 on seasoned scout.ColonizationSave
    334.5 KB · Views: 61
  • DxDiag64-M17X.txt
    60.4 KB · Views: 57
assigning shortcuts is so common in TBG/RTS/RPG games

I don't disagree. :)

But this functionality simply does not exist in Civ4:Col.
And it was never implemented in RaR or any other Civ4:Col mod I know either.

So this is simply a feature request which nobody ever implemented.

Development of RaR main mod has ended.
But maybe somebody will implement it in a modmod one day. :dunno:

I don't disagree. :)

But this functionality simply does not exist in Civ4:Col.
And it was never implemented in RaR or any other Civ4:Col mod I know either.

So this is simply a feature request which nobody ever implemented.

Development of RaR main mod has ended.
But maybe somebody will implement it in a modmod one day. :dunno:
Ooops!
Here I strongly disagree, as I used shortcuts in Civ4 vanilla for the last 10 years in literally hundreds of civ & col games, it includes Colonization vanilla, and it works in all mods including TAC
As RaR uses TAC as basis, obviously something got lost somewhere on the path ...

I attach a saved game I just created now (TAC_2.03) with my cuirassier bound to key 1, and pioneer bound to key 0, created with Ctrl+0 and Ctrl+1...
Pressing "0" center the map on my pioneer, and pressing "1" centers it on the cuirassier, as it always did.
in the spoiler, a printscreen showing that my cuirassier has been bound to key 1 (#1) , hence can be recalled by just pressing key 1, centring the unit on the screen where ever it is...
(now, in RaR, it removes any skill on the unit, and does not bind it to a number)
Spoiler :

Now, as English is not my language, perhaps my explanations were confusing, and you understood something else with the word "shortcuts"...

Attachments

• TAC_203-keys assigned to cuirassier and pioneer.ColonizationSave
    32.3 KB · Views: 99
... it works in all mods including TAC
As RaR uses TAC as basis, obviously something got lost somewhere on the path ...

Really ? :confused:
I knew it existed in Civ4 but I never saw or used it in Civ4:Col.

Well, we (especially myself) worked a lot on shortcuts in RaR.
Africa, Port Royal, all the different Terrain Improvments, all the small new features, ...

Maybe something really got lost or simply reassigned.
(I can't recall removing something.)

But well, RaR development is finished.
(I am sorry, but I don't want to get drawn into modding again and end up publishing another release.)

Maybe one of our modmodders will fix this issue though.
(Maybe it is just about looking into the XML to find the solution.)

Hey, I just found out about this mod after playing TAC for at least a year and this mod is genuinely amazing. I can only describe how incredible this mod is with a simple analogy. This mod is to TAC the way that C2C is to RoM:AND.

I have just gotten around to building an education system, a schoolhouse, in my colony around the year 1520ish. The problem is that I'm not able to assign native slaves to the schoolhouse. Assigning free colonists works just fine, so I just wanna check if this is a bug, an intentional feature, or me being to clumsy to figure out what I'm doing wrong.

If you could explain to me what's going on, I'd be very grateful. Thanks!

Edit: nvm, I played around in world editor for a bit and I think that either you need at least a college to teach slaves, or it wasn't working because my city health brought education point production to less than 1 per slave.
Thanks anyway for the fantastic mod.

If you have a couple of cities that are near each other and there is only one square that is not under any culture influence, the slave will always flee to that square. Besides making it easier to recapture it also is a good experience farm. Just keep rotating the unit that is guarding the square. Otherwise I don't bother because if in a war I'll usually not notice that one fled and it would screw up the balance in the city.

And yes your memory is good.

Really ? :confused:
(...)
(Maybe it is just about looking into the XML to find the solution.)

why not!?:cooool:
If I can simply find a workaround by editing a text file or editable with notepad+, it would be to me like I used to do with the modding of most paradox's games (Hearts of Iron, EU3...)

As you know probably where shortcuts are supposed to be, can you help in the task of pinpointing the subfolder(s)/filename(s) I should search among the 1000s you created?

Just for the record. I intend to work in RaRE in the near future by adding all the bugfixes that has been mentioned recently and some other stuff. Looking at assigning groups to hotkeys sounds really tempting as it could be a useful feature.

As you know probably where shortcuts are supposed to be, can you help in the task of pinpointing the subfolder(s)/filename(s) I should search among the 1000s you created?
The XML files are in Assets\XML, though I kind of suspect that the culprit could be Assets\Python\Screens\CvMainInterface.py
That python file listens to the keyboard and does some actions if certain stuff is pressed. The problem is that it also does a whole lot of other stuff. Besides sometimes the key pressed is checked against the keys stored in XML files.

One way to try to track the location of what happens is to set a breakpoint in the clear speciality function and then use the debugger to see where it is called from. Sadly this will likely result in "called from python" where the debugger can't see what is going on. Still maybe it can reveal something.

CvUnit has in fact a variable called m_iHotKeyNumber, which is stored in savegames. Tracking that one to figure out where and when it is used could be interesting as well.

Excellent!
For both the possible-future RaRE version, and the tips for the locations!
Thank you and Bon Courage !

edit:
I see that files CvUnit.h and CvUnit.cpp (containing "m_iHotKeyNumber") are added in the RaR folders, when TAC uses the original Col version. As problem comes in RaR, perhaps focusing at start on what was added on top of already existing Col files can help.
In both Col and RaR version, the "CvUnit::setHotKeyNumber" coding part is similar (lines 91190->9152 in RaR version of CvUnit.cpp). As the skill (ex.: Farmer) is removed when trying to assign a hotkey, I suppose that the "setHotKeyNumber" is not even triggered, or triggered very briefly for being overwritten by another routine using CTRL key and re-initializing what "setHotKeyNumber" did a fraction of second before...
:confused:

edit2:
removing the 2 files CvUnit.h and CvUnit.cpp from folder "...\Sid Meier's Civilization IV Colonization\MODS\Religion_and_Revolution\DLL_Sources", hence forcing RaR to load from regular folder "...\Sid Meier's Civilization IV Colonization\CvGameCoreDLL", does not solve the shortcut issue: it still resets my units to default colonist, and without assigning a hotkey...
Problem does not come from it... :(

edit 3: 2 months later, I give up. Trying to assign a hotkey to a unit still removes the profession, and I am not skilled enough for going further...
:(
Please, if there is a skilled moder around here, feel free to investigate further !!

new to the mod and really enjoying it so far

Something just happened that has me going wtf though....

I am asked by my king to declade war on the spanish. I agree and ask for help.

He sends me a ship of the line, 2 artillery, and 4 musketmen.

I then proceed to roll right into the spanish capital and take it out, then the next 2 turns take out the town right below it.

I've lost 0 units.

Am I missing something here? This just seems like I was given an army on a silver platter and the AI cannot hope to defend against it. Seems extremely imbalanced to me, am I missing anything?

No, you aren't missing anything. This event is very strong and gives you an advantage, no doubt.

I once had this three times in one game and steamrolled anybody else on the map :)

... am I missing anything?

Well, you are maybe missing that everybody is free to adjust the mod to his liking. :)

All important features can be balanced in:
GlobalDefinesAlt.xml

To adjust the troops the king sends you for the feature you are mentioning, simply change the values of these 2 balancing settings:

KING_REINFORCEMENT_LAND
KING_REINFORCEMENT_ARTIL

I personally also change back both balancing settings to "2".
(I even considered to change them to "1".)

Well, you are maybe missing that everybody is free to adjust the mod to his liking. :)

All important features can be balanced in:
GlobalDefinesAlt.xml

To adjust the troops the king sends you for the feature you are mentioning, simply change the values of these 2 balancing settings:

KING_REINFORCEMENT_LAND
KING_REINFORCEMENT_ARTIL

I personally also change back both balancing settings to "2".
(I even considered to change them to "1".)

Hehe thanks for the suggestion, didn't mean to imply the creators didn't work really hard or anything but before I changed it I wanted to make sure I wasn't messing with an integral part of the balancing.

For example I kept thinking maybe the spanish king gave his colonies a huge fleet and they were coming to invade as well. So I take it the AIs don't get this random event like the player does?

Any idea if the amount of troops given depends on the time?

I'm still pretty early in the game and a army this powerful is just a bit ridiculous from a balance standpoint.

could you elaborate a bit on this balance setting you are referring to as "2"?

For example I kept thinking maybe the spanish king gave his colonies a huge fleet and they were coming to invade as well.

No, the feature does not do that.

Any idea if the amount of troops given depends on the time?

No, the amount of troops given is always the same.
(There is only a minimal number of rounds before the feature triggers the first time.)

So I take it the AIs don't get this random event like the player does?

No, the feature "European Wars" is Human Player only.

could you elaborate a bit on this balance setting you are referring to as "2"?

Search in GlobalDefinesAlt.xml for:
KING_REINFORCEMENT_LAND
KING_REINFORCEMENT_ARTIL

It should really be self explaining.

No, the feature does not do that.

No, the amount of troops give is always the same.
(There is only a minimal number of rounds before the feature triggers the first time.)

Awesome thanks Ray

I would also like to change the ship that is given, do you have any idea where I can find the syntax for this?

I searched the doc for other unit classes but cannot seem to find them.

Any suggestions on if I wanted to give the player gold on how I would add that?

Thanks!

Is there anyway to figure out combat odds before you attack?

n/m the reason right click wasn't working is I had an open borders agreement

Are the natives a bit overpowered in the Gigantic maps? Reason is I've been declared war upon by tribes who were "pleased" with me and they almost always seem to invade with some 30-40+ braves, and this is around 1620. There is simply no way for me to give a good counter considering my cities are a bit spread across and I'd need atleast 10-15 units on each border with each native to be able to respond well without damage...Maybe I invest too much into my navy and end up in trouble when this happens, but what do you guys usually do in this situation? Do you simply not expand that much initially until you get a super well-garrisoned fort or just pick a few uninhabited islands initially?

Is there anyway to figure out combat odds before you attack?

n/m the reason right click wasn't working is I had an open borders agreement
Press alt and hover over the enemy you want to attack. You will see some tooltips on the left over the minimap.

You need to have good relationships with the natives (e.g. by trading with them, building missionaries in their cities etc.). Indeed, a military strategy will only work if you have a strong army.

You need to have good relationships with the natives (e.g. by trading with them, building missionaries in their cities etc.). Indeed, a military strategy will only work if you have a strong army.

I did all this..Even had a defensive pact, joined their war request and after a while defensive pact got anulled..Had no red qualifiers and positives added upto +4 or something. I guess that is not enough to not guarantee a war declaration. Maybe have to bribe them with "gifts" to get it to 6+. Or maybe I just had too many cities :dunno:. (around 12 by 1620) Next time will probably just keep it down to 5-6.

Still, their power seems a bit imba but I guess that's to be expected in Conquistador difficulty.

Top Bottom