[Religion and Revolution]: General Questions and Discussions

Guys, is there any SVN link available to public? :) And also any approximate time for the very first playable version?

Guys, is there any SVN link available to public? :) And also any approximate time for the very first playable version?

Sorry, access to SVN is limited to team members (and trusted cooperation partners).
Our releases will be download links.

We do not have a fixed date for our first release.
Even an approximate date is hard to give.

There are still several things that need to be done for Release 1.
(Final merge with TAC 2.03, some major features, some graphics, improvement of existing features, balancing, improvement of texts, ...)

Quality and fun are more important to us, than sticking to a release date. :)

Also, please be so kind and do not post questions like that in threads for feature discussions. ;)
(There are other appropriate threads for general discussions, mod development, ...)

Also, please be so kind and do not post questions like that in threads for feature discussions. ;)
(There are other appropriate threads for general discussions, mod development, ...)

:confused:

I am sorry, I thought this thread called "General Questions and Discussions".

But thanks for clarifications! I will wait with patience :)

Here are some nifs I had on my HD (downloaded from civfanatics) that you might like to use for native buildings and such.

Thanks. :thumbsup:
(Maybe KJ - our expert for graphics - can take a look at it, when he has a little more time again.)

How are things going with the mod, planned for a release soon?

Things are going on. :D
Every week we add or improve a little.

No, there are no plans for a Releases "soon".

We have promised to not have our own Release, before TAC 2.03 was released.
And I don't think, that TAC 2.03 will be released soon. :dunno:

Also, this project is not about time pressure or fixed release dates.
It is about having fun modding together and creating good quality.

This project really is huge and currently only very few team members have enought time to actively work on our features and graphics.
Even if TAC 2.03 was released tomorrow, I really don't know, when we would have achieved sufficient quality (graphics, AI, ...).

I see several problems with this unusual approach... I mean that it is much more motivating for both modders and players to get some intermediary releases. This help modders with valuable feedback, and for players they can stay motivated while they wait for the actual release.

Plus, if you base yourself on either TAC 2.02d or 2.03, you are based on a stable mod, so the excuse of saying that RAR won't be interesting or stable don't hold here, it can only be an improvement over TAC.

Basically, I think you are making an error, you strive to get perfection in one single shot... Don't let the pursuit of perfection obstructs your progress, or as another saying says, don't look at the trees, look at the forest. You want to make a very good mod, there is no doubt about that. But you can do that better by releasing your milestone versions, and not the final version (that won't be final in the end) in some months.

I see several problems with this unusual approach...

See here:

We have promised to not have our own Release, before TAC 2.03 was released.

1. I repeat, we have promised to not have our own releases before TAC 2.03 is released.

So there is no discussion about that even if TAC 2.03 still needs another year to be released ...
(Our internal version already contains parts of TAC 2.03 since I am merging on a regular basis.)

2. If TAC 2.03 is out, it is still our own decision / judgement, if we are satisfied with quality of our mod and are ready to release that.

Although this mod is really huge, currently our mod is extremely stable. :)
But our features and additions are not yet "perfect" ...

We have already now added massive amounts of improvements and features and are adding more every week.
However some of them still need to be improved (balancing, AI, graphics, ...).

After TAC 2.03 is out, we will enter a phase of finetuning, improving and balancing.
After that phase we will have our first release. :thumbsup:

3. We are having a lot of fun with modding.
For me, this is pretty independent of having a release or not. :dunno:

Summary:

I can really understand, that it is annoying for non-teammembers to not be able to play our mod. :thumbsup:

But the community will have to wait until a few weeks after TAC 2.03 for our first release.
(It really does not make any sense to have further discussions about that ...)

I promise, it will be worth waiting. :)

Our first release will not be the final one.
We plan to have many more releases after our first one.
These might be on a much more regular basis then.

I didn't follow the hole discussion.

I think the hole mod will be in English, right?

I prefer German (I'm German :D ) and lots of the features from TAC will be in German, too. Will it be possible to translate passages of this mod (back) into German - what I mean: Will we be able to change the language of the texts (unit descriptions, event texts etc.) by changing the corresponding .xml? Is the structure of the mod easy enough to do this?

I didn't follow the hole discussion.

I think the hole mod will be in English, right?

I prefer German (I'm German :D ) and lots of the features from TAC will be in German, too. Will it be possible to translate passages of this mod (back) into German - what I mean: Will we be able to change the language of the texts (unit descriptions, event texts etc.) by changing the corresponding .xml? Is the structure of the mod easy enough to do this?

Ja, das ist nicht schwierig. Die Texte liegen im "/Religion_and_Revolution/Assets/XML/Text/" und es gibt Raum im jeden Text für auf Englisch, Deutsch, Spanisch, Französisch und Italienisch schreiben.

Ja, das ist nicht schwierig. Die Texte liegen im "/Religion_and_Revolution/Assets/XML/Text/" und es gibt Raum im jeden Text für auf Englisch, Deutsch, Spanisch, Französisch und Italienisch schreiben.
No indeed it is not difficult ! :)
I'm translating some texts in French...
It would be good to have someone translating texts in German
... (And why not Spanish and Italian?) :goodjob:

Schmiddie, willst du die Texte übersetzen für uns?

Hi Schmiddie,

schön das du den Weg zu uns gefunden hast. :)

Back to English:

Main language of the mod is English.
Simply because we are an international team.
(Although some team members are really good in German. :goodjob:)

But I would really love to have everything translated at least into German and French also.

This can be done quite easily in XML.
(Somebody simply needs to take the time to do it. :) )

Our XMLs for Texts are really well structured. :thumbsup:
(Very well separated from TAC and Vanilla.)

Hi Folks,

I have a stupid question:

How can I place native armed soldier, native cavalry and native armed cavalry on the map?

I tried to use the wordbuilder, but the builder only works with European nations, because they have these units already in the beginning of the game. Do I have to start a new game, bargaining with the natives weapons and horses and then (after 30 or 40 rounds) hoping that they establish these units before I can see them on the map? :hammer2::wallbash:

I have finished the new graphics of 4 native nations and want to show you the results...Is there another chance which will be faster and more promising?

Please help... :D

Is there another chance which will be faster and more promising?

The fastest way is probably to assign the UnitArt to another "Testing-Unit".(In XML)
Create yourself one "Testing Unit" and use it only for testing new graphics you created.
After you have tested the graphics, simply remove the "Testing Unit" again.

That is how I would do it. :dunno:

Hi guys,

I think it is time to loose some words again. :D

Many many thanks to all team members for all the hard work you put into this project. :goodjob:

It is really a pleasure working with you and to see our mod become better and bigger every week.
When I take a look at what we have already achieved together, I am extremely proud.

Community won't believe their eyes, once they see our first release ! :eek:

Let us continue having fun together. :rockon:

Woah !!!! :woohoo:

Hi guys, I am currently playing colonization with my business laptop.
It really is a high power machine compared to my private desktop.

These are the values of Windows-Performance-Index:
(7.9 is highest value)

6.4 for Processor (Intel Core2 Duo T9600 2.8GHz x 2)
6.4 for RAM (6GB)
5.4 for Graphic-Card
5.9 for Data Storage
Windows 7 (64Bit)

My private Desktop:
Spoiler :

5.5 for Processor
5.9 for RAM
1.2 for Graphic-Card
5.7 for Data Storage

This is such a totally different experience !

I mean, the game and the mod were running ok on my private desktop, but they are just racing on my business laptop !

The biggest difference between both systems is the graphic-card.
(My private machine has an incredibly bad rating compared to my business machine. :badcomp:)

Thus I concluded:
Graphic-Card makes the difference. :cool:
(64Bit compared to 32Bit might also be an aspect ...)

Top Bottom