[Religion and Revolution]: Maps and Scenarios

That's the reason I asked those question. I think it would be great to have some variation in maps and playing style; the possibility of seeing those type of maps and scenarios in a mod not specifically limited/made for that would be really impressive!

Maybe that type of winter scenario just doesn't fit for RaR... but you & the team should at least consider something similar which brings originality to maps (like you did with your latest map).

For me: of course, I would appreciate that map! At least I think it could fit with the resource system of DoaNE; and along some map generation tweaks and a few more bonuses/features specific for that climate it should work! As I have written at some point, I would want to create a system which integrates climate maps from the DLL to python and vice-versa; so an scenario could just force some game rules to follow adjustments only available for that map for ex.
But I will left these ideas for the thread in the other sub-forum...

If there is a separate sub-forum that we should be having this discussion in, please link me to it.

I thought it would be useful to type out a few of the challenges and setbacks associated with a Hudson Bay map.

Given the geography of the Hudson Bay, it would be hard to know where we should place starting locations. And we would have to restrict the Europe plots to the amount of European nations (RaR6), because otherwise I highly doubt they would be placed in feasible locations.

So the Hudson Bay is a big U, with a small line on top, open at both ends. The U is the shape of the Bay, the floating line is the large islands at its mouth. If we start the European nations outside of the U, up near the island chain somewhere, or just south of Greenland, it would be highly unlikely that game play at the far side of the U or the bottom would ever take place. The long trip to Europe (10+ turns) and back (20+ turns round trip) would make that an unbearable impossibility. It would be like playing the Western Hemisphere map when Vanilla first came out, and nobody played on the North American continent because it took to long to get to.

So the solution to this problem would be to place the start locations within the inside of the Bay. The problem with this is more of a realism one than not. If you have a settlement on the islands at the top of the Bay, and it sails to the middle of the Bay to "go to Europe", doesn't that seem kind of funny? Because in reality it is sailing away from Europe to go to Europe.

If we do decide to place start locations within the Bay, the best idea would be to place them evenly around the Bay following the curve. So someone would start on every side of the Bay, and perhaps someone would start at the top by the islands. If this sounds like a good idea to you, keep in mind that any Europe plot placed west of the y (vertical) axis, would be changed to a Europe west plot by the game engine. Hence the player automatically discovers the Pacific (irrealistic) and when a player is sending a ship back to the New World he/she will choose whether or not to send it via Pacific or Atlantic, further degrading the natural and realistic feel of the game.
-----

These are the main problems I had when planning the map. I can offer at least one solution, let me know what you think. What if we chop the top of the U off, getting rid of the island chain, and having the map open from the top with land on 3 sides. If we did this we could put all Europe plots at the top. Or we could flip it sideways, and have all Europe plots on the right side, conforming to the game engines strict Europe East Europe West system. Any better ideas?

Just to say what a excellant mod this is! Cant wait to see it further develop.
I made a map ages ago and converted it to play on this mod and it went so well I thought I would post it and give it to you guys.

Basicly its all north and central America excluding alaska. It has a small corner of south America and half the caribbian.

Its not 100% finnised yet as the natives placements are not finnished in the map yet and Im still working out how to give tools to the starting ships. Still the play test I done it went very similiar to world events with spain grabing central america and fighting control with the dutch over parts of the cabribben and france concentrated in cannada.

Im not from USA, Cannada or Mexico so if some of the finer placemnets of things are wrong im sorry as I had only maps to work from. Plus some thinsg had to be squashed abit to get them in.

Attachments

• America Version 7.zip
    41.4 KB · Views: 176
yup a scenario. Fed up of tiny realistic maps so descided to make a hug one. Its 120x72 and runs quite smoothly.

I kind of want to extend the carebbian is there a way to make the map bigger to give me a bit of extra space? Just when i go into the save script and change it it then wont load.

Just a quick question. Can anyone tell me if 'The New World' (Once discovered, it was changed forever) scenario from AoDII has been converted for R and R?

Can anyone tell me if 'The New World' (Once discovered, it was changed forever) scenario from AoDII has been converted for R and R?

Not to my knowledge.
(It is not part of the official releases.)

I also don't think that there are any plans to do so. :dunno:
(Personally I have too much other stuff I want to finish.)

Not to my knowledge.
(It is not part of the official releases.)

I also don't think that there are any plans to do so. :dunno:
(Personally I have too much other stuff I want to finish.)

Shame, I think that was the best map of the new world I've seen. Nice size and great detail. Thanks for the info though. :goodjob:

colonialfan has created a new map for Religion and Revolution. :goodjob:

The New World

1. Complete New World (North, Central and South America)
2. Created with Mapsize Gigantic

We hope you enjoy. :)
(It will be included in the upcoming release.)

Attachments

• Civ4ScreenShot0012.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0012.JPG
    158.7 KB · Views: 383
Yepp, the gigantic map is really good. With R&R 1.3 and the other gigantic america map (amerayaca or so), I hade big performance problems and good not enter europe.

Performance on this map is very good, it could be from 1.4, too.

So beautiful

so, can the French sail into the Saint Lawrence River and found a city "where the river narrows"? :)

The French can sail through the Gulf of Saint Lawrence (which are essentially sea tiles), all the way up to where the Saint Lawrence River runs into the Gulf, (where the land tile starts). Geographically/historically speaking you can place Quebec, very close to where is was originally founded.

Unfortunately the current game mechanics do not allow ships to sail on rivers, unless you create rivers using sea/ocean tiles, like I did for part of the Amazon in the New World map. However, to create all rivers like this and for the map to still look correct it would need to be of Titanic proportions, which would cause a whole multitude of performance and numerous other problems.:(

but i bet its a lovely map nevertheless...

looking forward to playing it <3

I have uploaded a new map to SVN:

Two Continents

• Fun map (not geographically correct)
  • Mapsize "Gigantic"
  • Two enormous landmasses
  • Optimized for Religion and Revolution

Attachments

• Civ4ScreenShot0000.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0000.JPG
    224.7 KB · Views: 215
  • Civ4ScreenShot0001.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0001.JPG
    229.4 KB · Views: 250
  • Civ4ScreenShot0002.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0002.JPG
    236.6 KB · Views: 216
  • Civ4ScreenShot0003.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0003.JPG
    213.1 KB · Views: 199
Hi all

Have started playing this mod quite recently, and am a bit confused by all the different maps / scenarios. Is there a full list anywhere of the type of maps, what they roughly look like, continents, islands etc?

I've played New World, but wanted to play a gigantic map that is slightly more random. I always find Amerayca and Two Continents a bit unsatisfying, as the landmasses seem to come out looking very regular and a bit 'square', with the sea channels between the continents also very straight and uniform.

Is there a gigantic or huge map that will roughly resemble a real life New World, but with random placement of resources, natives etc?

There is no list that describes the maps.
You could either read their description or simply take a look ingame.

If you want to have more randomness, why don't you play MapScripts instead of Maps ?
(FaireWeather is the best Mapscript to my opinion.)

And you say, that you did play The New World ?
(It is MapSize "Gigantic" as well.)

There is no list that describes the maps.
You could either read their description or simply take a look ingame.

If you want to have more randomness, why don't you play MapScripts instead of Maps ?
(FaireWeather is the best Mapscript to my opinion.)

And you say, that you did play The New World ?
(It is MapSize "Gigantic" as well.)

Thanks ray.

I've played New World and liked it a lot, but once you know the map it can get a bit predictable so I wanted a similar New World type map but with more variety.

I'll give FaireWeather a go and see how it works out!

Top Bottom