How well has your country been represented in game?

Did firaxis accurately portray your country?

• Yep, they nailed it!

Votes: 22 10.9%
  • They did pretty good.

Votes: 79 39.1%
  • Meh, they did okay

Votes: 55 27.2%
  • Not that great

Votes: 34 16.8%
  • Maybe Firaxis should actually do some research first

Votes: 12 5.9%

• Total voters
Canada. It hasn't really been represented at all. If you're going to include two city states from a single nation, maybe that nation is big enough to make an actual civ.

The main argument against including Canada always seems to be that it's not the United States. I mean that's really what it comes down to - objectively Canada has been an extremely successful country, which has always punched above its weight (probably partially due to being self-conscious about comparisons to the Americans), but it's always measured with reference to its next-door neighbour, a global hyper-power of virtually unprecedented proportions.

There's also this idea that no important or significant people have come from Canada, which is so untrue I don't even know where to begin. Off the top of my head - Frederick Banting (discovered use of insulin for diabetics), Marshal McLuhan (communications theorist, of "the media is the message" fame) Terry Fox (founder of the International Terry Fox runs), J.A. Bombardier (inventor of the snowmobile), Peter Jennings (legendary newsman), Shania Twain, Bryan Adams and Celine Dion (international megastars who ARE NOT Justin Bieber), John Kenneth Galbraith (economist), Wilder Penfield (scientist who mapped the human brian), Wayne Gretsky (hockey legend), John McRae (soldier, poet, author of the poem "In Flanders' Fields"), Stephen Pinker (prominent neuroscientist) Billy Bishop (WWI flying ace, went head-to-head with the "Red Baron" at least once), Sam Steele (pioneering lawman), Lester Pearson (prime minister, diplomat, Nobel Peace Prize winner), John Humphrey (diplomat, author of the United Nations Universal Declaration of Human Rights), Charles Taylor (prominent philosopher), Sir Sanford Fleming (inventor of time zones/standard time, and many other things as well), and John Ralston Saul (businessman, diplomat and philosopher).

...and in a nod to recent events, Ted Cruz (politician, curmudgeon). You guys can keep him. :p

Looks like you found a nice list somewhere....;) And I would add Bell the inventor of the telephone...though he was a Scottish immigrant, but he did most of his development work in Brantford, Ontario....and then there is Marconi...and Italian, of course, but some of his work on the radio was done in Newfoundland...which was not part of Canada back then, but now is... Hmmm, gets confusing....

And, of course, a typical Canadian is invisible to an American... But then Canada was essentially founded by Americans who wanted to remain British; combined with French colonists who didn't want to be British.... And somehow the British left ...except for the Queen ...and it became Canada. No wonder it's a strange country; hard for foreigners to figure out.... :lol:

Oh and I don't see Michael J. Fox on your list...a Canadian from British Columbia...

Good <snip> God even I have to admit that would be terrible. Ok how about this Bieber won't be our leader and in exchange we will take the bankrupt city of Detroit and represent as part of Canada as an exchange.

Touche, but I'd rather keep Detroit than have to take Bieber.

Moderator Action: You are responsible for everything in your post, so please avoid quoting inappropriate language.
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

They should at least add Bieber as a great musician that comes with CN tower to make that wonder at least slightly better.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

As a mostly Scottish person, I will say I don't think Scotland is well represented by the Celtic civ.
Edinburgh being the holy city for Catholicism is really... wrong. "Not Roman Catholic" is the most popular religion in Scotland. Beyond not liking Catholicism, the Scots are too practical a people for religious fervor old Europe was famous for. Or maybe they just used up all their ire on the English and didn't have any left for other forms of xenophobia?

Anyway, for the Celts to accurately represent Scotland, they would need a scientific bonus of some sort. The Scottish are easily the equals of the ancient Chinese when it comes to ingenuity. Furthermore, the Scottish contribution to economic and scientific development had a much larger impact on the world because they exported their ideas and inventions beyond their own borders, whereas many of China's advancements didn't reach the rest of the world until they were smuggled out of the country or taken by force.

As a mostly Scottish person, I will say I don't think Scotland is well represented by the Celtic civ.
Edinburgh being the holy city for Catholicism is really... wrong. "Not Roman Catholic" is the most popular religion in Scotland. Beyond not liking Catholicism, the Scots are too practical a people for religious fervor old Europe was famous for. Or maybe they just used up all their ire on the English and didn't have any left for other forms of xenophobia?

Anyway, for the Celts to accurately represent Scotland, they would need a scientific bonus of some sort. The Scottish are easily the equals of the ancient Chinese when it comes to ingenuity. Furthermore, the Scottish contribution to economic and scientific development had a much larger impact on the world because they exported their ideas and inventions beyond their own borders, whereas many of China's advancements didn't reach the rest of the world until they were smuggled out of the country or taken by force.

Scotland was mostly Catholic up to a point that I can't quite remember the date of (around Mary, apparently), and the Celts represents the Celtic Nations, which are (to my knowledge) mostly Catholic. Also, when since did Scotland make a ton of scientific contributions? I mean, there's a good couple of industrial-age Scottish inventors I can name, but I had no idea of the ancient scientific advancements.

Scotland was mostly Catholic up to a point that I can't quite remember the date of (around Mary, apparently), and the Celts represents the Celtic Nations, which are (to my knowledge) mostly Catholic. Also, when since did Scotland make a ton of scientific contributions? I mean, there's a good couple of industrial-age Scottish inventors I can name, but I had no idea of the ancient scientific advancements.

Scotland was catholic until a certain Pope tried to force the king of Scotland to abdicate by excommunicating him. He assumed his lords would not want a heretic on the throne. Nobody cared. Then he tried excommunicating all the lords, hoping the peasantry would revolt. Nobody cared. So, he excommunicated everyone in Scotland. Again, nobody cared.

Sheer ignorance. The telephone, the television, artificial asphault, vulcanized rubber tires, the science of geology, radar, cloning, a steam engine good enough for industrial use, the reflecting telescope. These are a few things I know off the top of my head, and all of them are Scottish. :king:

Here is a nowhere near complete list from wikipedia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scottish_inventions_and_discoveries

Scotland was catholic until a certain Pope tried to force the king of Scotland to abdicate by excommunicating him. He assumed his lords would not want a heretic on the throne. Nobody cared. Then he tried excommunicating all the lords, hoping the peasantry would revolt. Nobody cared. So, he excommunicated everyone in Scotland. Again, nobody cared.

Sheer ignorance. The telephone, the television, artificial asphault, vulcanized rubber tires, the science of geology, radar, cloning, a steam engine good enough for industrial use, the reflecting telescope. These are a few things I know off the top of my head, and all of them are Scottish. :king:

Here is a nowhere near complete list from wikipedia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scottish_inventions_and_discoveries

First, you missed out penicillin as a Scottish discovery. Although not an invention, still pretty important.

Secondly, by referencing the ancient Chinese, I thought that you were also referencing the ancient Scots, but that serves me right for not reading it properly. Also, I was aware that most of those discoveries were made by Scots, I just suck at remembering useful stuff. :p

Hiberno-Scottish mission and the Scottish Reformation seem to suggest a religious bent is not unfair. I suppose I should mention at least that Scottish Presbyterianism has a bit of a puritanical reputation in Ireland.

Indonesia:

Anything other than the mispronunciation for Gajahmada in the intro,
I think Indonesia is great.

I think you might have your countries mixed up a bit..... Scotland was heavily involved in the Protestant reformation along theological lines...though with a lot of "realpolitik" thrown in to move things along.

It was a mix of Lutheranism and Calvinism with the Calvinists having the "final say"....i.e. John Knox. So I suppose you could say that the "soul mates" of the Scots became the Calvinists in the Netherlands, in Switzerland and the Huguenots in France..[oh yes, and the Boers in South Africa, who went on to bite the backside of the Empire several hundred years later...long after the Scots had been "pacified" by the English.] In terms of "soul mates" the Lutherans of Germany and Scandinavia were a close second.....

That the Calvinists were puritanical is probably an understatement.... ;)

Tolerance was not considered a virtue among the Calvinists...and probably explains the "problems" encountered by the Huguenots....

Even in a country that seems so sensible as Sweden....during the late 1600s a law was passed making it a capital offense to be other than a Lutheran...special dispensation was given for businessmen traveling from southern Europe....money talks louder, of course, than anything else....

If I would be a germany i would be offended with the barbarian unique ability to capture brutes

german people and soldiers where portrayed as brutes that want to conquer the world as propoganda in the world war 1
look :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4iFnce-4e74

My country :

I am from the netherlands and i thinx my country is good represented however i would like it be changed at brave new world:
the extra happiness when you trade away a luxury is verry handy (can trade a luxury for a other luxury and get double out of it)

I would have liked seen the UNique ability changed at brave new world to something to do with sea trade routes and made the east indian company a building

Why so many of these posts "what did your people do''? Stop asking that! every country in the world and more importantly people did something good. Even if it is a very small thing they contributed to the whole mankind, at least respect that. Because pretty much the whole human history was a survival of different people. Everyone wanted to be the biggest and most badass people and to kill others it was always about conquest and expanding your living space. So at least respect the people from different cultures (and that culture as well) that gave something good to this world.

As someone said this thread won't end well...

Why so many of these posts "what did your people do''? Stop asking that! every country in the world and more importantly people did something good. Even if it is a very small thing they contributed to the whole mankind, at least respect that. Because pretty much the whole human history was a survival of different people. Everyone wanted to be the biggest and most badass people and to kill others it was always about conquest and expanding your living space. So at least respect the people from different cultures (and that culture as well) that gave something good to this world.

As someone said this thread won't end well...

So Liechtenstein is a country. Should they be in Civ ?

Not all cultures and civs have had the same impact on the history of the world. It's not insulting to say that, is it ? Also the "naming great people" thing is a fallacy, it's much easier to name a bunch of Canadians than, say, a bunch of Phoenicians because of the time period.

I'm not saying Canada and Australia are insignificant at all, I'm saying it's not shocking at all that they're absent, the way it would be if America, Rome or China were missing. Again, it all comes down to having good ideas for the UA and UUs. I don't think Firaxis should make a particular effort to get Canada and Australia into the game because they happen to be vocal about it.

Canada or Australia definitely dont deserve to be in Civ. They are just English/French colonies nothing more. They are not unique in any meaningful way, they dont even have their own language. They dont have unique or long culture. Pretty much only reason to add them would be that they are modern so they could have modern UAs, UBs and UUs. Maybe adding some flavor to the late game.

As a Finn I think we are represented ok as a part of Sweden although they totally messed up the city list. I guess they just looked what are the biggest cities in Sweden and Finland and went with those. At least they should have used the Swedish names for those cities.

I have to apologize if this comes off as rude, but I'm reaching my limit.

Can we STOP TALKING ABOUT CANADA?

This is a thread to find out the view points of people about "Their Civ" in game. Canada is NOT playable, it is two city states, GET OVER IT.

If you want to have a thread about Canada make your own, but this is NOT the thread for it.

Actually I have to ask the mods, why hasn't anyone stepped in here? It's getting ridiculous. 75% of this thread has been arguing about Canada.

So Liechtenstein is a country. Should they be in Civ ?

Not all cultures and civs have had the same impact on the history of the world. It's not insulting to say that, is it ? Also the "naming great people" thing is a fallacy, it's much easier to name a bunch of Canadians than, say, a bunch of Phoenicians because of the time period.

I'm not saying Canada and Australia are insignificant at all, I'm saying it's not shocking at all that they're absent, the way it would be if America, Rome or China were missing. Again, it all comes down to having good ideas for the UA and UUs. I don't think Firaxis should make a particular effort to get Canada and Australia into the game because they happen to be vocal about it.

I agree that some civs had a much greater impact on world history or on history of a particular continent or region. But I am just saying that we should appreciate all the accomplishments made by different cultures both big and small.

I have to apologize if this comes off as rude, but I'm reaching my limit.

Can we STOP TALKING ABOUT CANADA?

This is a thread to find out the view points of people about "Their Civ" in game. Canada is NOT playable, it is two city states, GET OVER IT.

If you want to have a thread about Canada make your own, but this is NOT the thread for it.

Actually I have to ask the mods, why hasn't anyone stepped in here? It's getting ridiculous. 75% of this thread has been arguing about Canada.

I'll refer you to Post #119. These threads always end this way. It is, unfortunately, inevitable :(

Top Bottom