Some notes on the Wonders

RedKi-rr

Prince
Sorry for confusing. Eventually I found some good notes on the Wonders.

In the end of
http://www.civfanatics.com/civ1/faq/civfaq4.php

The corresponging link
http://www.civfanatics.com/civ1/refcharts/index.php

My notes just add some info, at most.

The text above was added later.

------------------------------------------------------------

Unfortunately the standard manuals don't decribe how a wonder works exactly. Also I coudn't find this information elsewhere.
So, I decided to make my own research on some wonders.

Civ 1 has 21 wonders, 7 wonders for each era.

Ancient Era.

Hanging Gardens - Gives +1 Happy face (should be applied in the end, like S.Bach's Cathedral, which means very good and useful)

Colossus - Gives +1 commerce to a cell, which already has one. Pretty much obvious too.

Great Wall - AIs always offers a peace. Everything is clear.

Lighthouse - Gives plus to movement.

Oracle - Doubles effect of temples. What does it mean? A usual temple makes content one unhappy face. With mysticism a temple makes content two unhappy faces. So, Oracle provides two content faces for each city. In the other words a temple workds like a usual cathedral! But you can compare 40/1 against 160/3 (shields/upkeep).

Pyramids - Allows any goverment, allows goverment change without a delaying.

Great Library - Gives you a technology whcih already is known by two other civs.

Medieval Era.

Copernicus Obs. - Is applied only for city where it is built. Doubles science output. How does it works? The city counts its usual science, and in the end this number is multiplied by 2.

S.Bach's Cathedral
- Makes content two unhappy faces (is applied for each city at the continent). The good thing: it is applied in the end, along with Cure for Cancer and Hanging Gardens (in a city the ordering is as follows: luxuries, temples-stadiums-cathedrals(may be after troops?), troops, wonders)

Michelandelo's Chapel - "Increases effect of cathedrals". This words can be found in civilopedia...How it increases we should know ourselves. It increases the effect by two faces. So, cathedrals with this wonder make content six unhappy faces. In the other words, this wonder makes content two unhappy faces. Pretty much like Oracle.

Shakespeare's Theatre - Eliminate unhappy people. Everything is clear.

Darwin's Voyage - Gives two free technologies. And one of the technologies are the one currently is researched. So, it's better to finish this wonder when you just started a technology.

Magellan's Expedition - Gives plus to movement. Can be found everywhere.

Isaac Newton's College - This one is the most nontrivial. Manuals and civilopedia says "Increases effect of libraries and universities". Do you know how? Something like gives 2/3 of their effects. Or, libraries and universities in all your cities increase science by 83,3% instead of 50%. Moreover, it is necessary to keep in mind that all numbers are integer...So, the formula for a city with library and university and with this wonder is as follows: [Commerce * ScienceTax] + [[Commerce * ScienceTax]*(1/2)] + [[Commerce * ScienceTax]*(1/3)], where [x] is the greatest integer less than x. The last sum is due to this wonder. So, be careful, or you can easily waste some Science every turn. Moreover, the scientists becomes different. One of them gives 4 science (like in a usual city with library and university), other of them gives 6 science! It's not like odd and even scientists...but if take four of them you should get 20 science.

Modern Era.

Appolo Program - Allows space ship (for everyone) and shows all cities placement (only for owner)

Manhattan Project - Allows nuclear weapon (for everyone)

Cure for Cancer - It's a modern Hanging Gardens.

Seti Program - Again, the manuals says that it icreases the science output by 50%. But if you look at the number of science the numbers a the same...Only the number of turns needed for the research is cut by 2/3. So, this means that this wonder sums all final science from all cities and multiple it by 1.5. I am not sure whether it is applied for rival civs. This wonder kind of compensate the increasing of technologies' cost after 1 AD (it's increases by two times). Also I forgot whether the cost of technologies is increased after 1500 AD, 1750 AD, 1850 AD.

Hoover Dam - Gives a free hydroplant in a city (at the same continent?)

Women's Suffrage - It's useful only for Republic and Democracy, where troops outside cities got a happines penalty. So, with this wonder Republic can forgot about this penalty, Democracy can feel like a usual Republic.

United Nations - It's a modern Great Wall

Darwin's Voyage - Gives two free technologies. And one of the technologies are the one currently is researched. So, it's better to finish this wonder when you just started a technology.

One more note on Darwin's Voyage:
Any light bulbs you had in the research box at the time you complete the wonder are still there after you get the discoveries from the Voyage. You don't have to be careful about timing when to build it.

One more note on Darwin's Voyage:
Any light bulbs you had in the research box at the time you complete the wonder are still there after you get the discoveries from the Voyage. You don't have to be careful about timing when to build it.

Oh, Great point, Valen...
I think I had never noticed it. So far, from time to time I got something new for myself about Civ1. Hence, the timing could save something around 10-15 bulbs, not a big deal at times of the Voyage...

Does Hoover Dam reduce pollution in every city on your continent (as a hydroplant would?)

Top Bottom