[MOD] Fall from Heaven II

On Grigori and agnosticism;

I've been playing that Civ as well and wanted to add some things to what Hian the Frog said. (playing fractal - pangea, warlord diff, epic speed) EDIT:Monarch difficulty

Happiness is a warm sword. I didn't solve my happiness problems until monarchy let me put the boot in. The few religions that spread to a couple of my cities also caused frustration because they only effectively spread unhappiness and I couldn't convert to their religion. I had to wait till I got access to the consumption civic to regain the pre-religious levels of happiness.

The adventurers rock! Definitely worth the price of the upgrade (flatline your research if you have to) and they don't need to be produced. I got two and they spearheaded campaigns very nicely until - and this is the biggest problem IMHO - they got diseased. Agnostic = no priests = no cure, OUCH. No medics to accompany them either. Well, maybe Druids, but they are a long time coming.

So, cool adventurers vs poor early-mid happiness and civics. Hmmmm.
The adventurers might be a bit more fun if they could get any promotion, not just the promotions of the unit they upgraded to. They would be a bit more versatile and you could be imaginative with promotions e.g. warriors with subdue animal might make bear catching feasible, or flanking - archers with city assault etc.
The Grigori need a medic of some sort that can cure disease early on.
The poor early happiness is just about manageable but the negative effect of religion is a pain.

Those are my first impressions. and I am having fun with them!

thearkane said:
for those of us who cant afford a new system which can show alpha channels. could you make a alpha channel patch?

If not, its a easy fix for me. go into fall of heaven 2 folder,assets,xml,art (folders). right click on civ4artdefines_civilization file use wordpad go to race with white flag, change <bwhiteflag>1</bwhiteflag> to <bwhiteflag>0</bwhiteflag> . so far only hippus,and kuriotates have shown up and they both have white flags. I put this here just in case someone else wants to try doing it their self.

Me again. I see you changed the 1 to 0 for all of them, in the new patch. Hopefully this will not affect flags for people who can use alpha channels if it does i am sorry(the only time your going to get it). If it does affect others feel free to change it back.

so far no real problems, thank you, exellent job.

Hello Team,

I Dowlnoaded the game yesterday and tried going a couple hundred turns with the elves. I agree with an earlier post that the spell system is great but a bit confusing. Do I have to promote in generic combat before I can get the second level of a sphere (like Body 2 for example). If I recall correctly, it was after I had reached combat 3 that I could finally choose Body 2 (this was for an elven adept). With the Druids however, they started with just about everything and I could summon a treant right away. It almost seems worthless to build adepts since they take so long to advance and by the time they are almost there, you can get an archmage or druid. If there was a way to tell which advance would get you which spells at the cost of which mana, that would be helpful. Along with this, I noticed every mana node said it needed to be improved with body, so i put body nodes on all of them. Are they all generic or are there actually different nodes for body, nature, spirit, etc...?

Secondly, I found that the Dragon cult is nasty in wars. If you conquer a city with that cult in it, you will probably lose the population all the way down to one, cuz you dont have any culture radius to work the tiles!...almost better to raze it and re-settle it with your own settler or else have three prophets ready to send in a build a little culture. I think this was mentioned earlier, but Purge the Unfaithful didnt work on the Dragon cult and didnt seem to work on the other religions either. Maybe I'm misunderstanding how Purge works...

I'm looking forward to figuring this Mod out. Looks like tons of hours of enjoyment, thanks for the effort!

Also, is there a place to see what the first patch fixed?

This version of the mod seems to take MUCH longer to load save games. It also takes an usual amount of time to open the world builder.

I don't experience this using FFH1 or vanilla civ. Is this a known issue? Or is just me..

First off, very cool mod.

Second, at about turn 312 playing as the Luchirp(sp?) I got a repeatable crash to desktop when using the Recruit ability of the Great Commander that spawned in my capital. I'm fairly certain that that's the cause, although there is a chance that the autosave got corrupted when my anti-virus auto-update triggered and switched me to desktop and I switched back.

Again, very cool scenario. :goodjob:

Hey, tried this latest version. Its pretty cool. Lots of great changes, too numerous to list. I think summons were still too strong before and they have been made more so. Granted you have to pay money to upgrade to them now but they are just too easy to spam the computer with. It might be ok vs humans with that anti summon building but the computer isn't going to reliabliy have those. Perhaps if making summons costs xp and you get less then it costs each turn so you cant make them over and over?

Hi, just started playing FFH2 and so far I like it a lot. I began with the Luchiurp and found myself alone on an island.

In any case, I did notice something a little bottersome. The wonder Pact of Nilhorn only has a description but it doesn't tell me what it actually does.

Haven't gone further so I have nothing else to report except that everything seemed to be working so far.:goodjob:

redradish said:
On Grigori and agnosticism;

I've been playing that Civ as well and wanted to add some things to what Hian the Frog said. (playing fractal - pangea, warlord diff, epic speed)

Happiness is a warm sword. I didn't solve my happiness problems until monarchy let me put the boot in. The few religions that spread to a couple of my cities also caused frustration because they only effectively spread unhappiness and I couldn't convert to their religion. I had to wait till I got access to the consumption civic to regain the pre-religious levels of happiness.

The adventurers rock! Definitely worth the price of the upgrade (flatline your research if you have to) and they don't need to be produced. I got two and they spearheaded campaigns very nicely until - and this is the biggest problem IMHO - they got diseased. Agnostic = no priests = no cure, OUCH. No medics to accompany them either. Well, maybe Druids, but they are a long time coming.

So, cool adventurers vs poor early-mid happiness and civics. Hmmmm.
The adventurers might be a bit more fun if they could get any promotion, not just the promotions of the unit they upgraded to. They would be a bit more versatile and you could be imaginative with promotions e.g. warriors with subdue animal might make bear catching feasible, or flanking - archers with city assault etc.
The Grigori need a medic of some sort that can cure disease early on.
The poor early happiness is just about manageable but the negative effect of religion is a pain.

Those are my first impressions. and I am having fun with them!

You should probably go for the Aquae Sucellus while playing the Grigori so you can remove disease from your units. There is usually more than one way to do things in the Mod, not that every way is easy.

Warlords Eraser said:
Hello Team,

I Dowlnoaded the game yesterday and tried going a couple hundred turns with the elves. I agree with an earlier post that the spell system is great but a bit confusing. Do I have to promote in generic combat before I can get the second level of a sphere (like Body 2 for example). If I recall correctly, it was after I had reached combat 3 that I could finally choose Body 2 (this was for an elven adept). With the Druids however, they started with just about everything and I could summon a treant right away. It almost seems worthless to build adepts since they take so long to advance and by the time they are almost there, you can get an archmage or druid. If there was a way to tell which advance would get you which spells at the cost of which mana, that would be helpful. Along with this, I noticed every mana node said it needed to be improved with body, so i put body nodes on all of them. Are they all generic or are there actually different nodes for body, nature, spirit, etc...?

Secondly, I found that the Dragon cult is nasty in wars. If you conquer a city with that cult in it, you will probably lose the population all the way down to one, cuz you dont have any culture radius to work the tiles!...almost better to raze it and re-settle it with your own settler or else have three prophets ready to send in a build a little culture. I think this was mentioned earlier, but Purge the Unfaithful didnt work on the Dragon cult and didnt seem to work on the other religions either. Maybe I'm misunderstanding how Purge works...

I'm looking forward to figuring this Mod out. Looks like tons of hours of enjoyment, thanks for the effort!

Also, is there a place to see what the first patch fixed?

The patch thread is here: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=171661

I will check out Purge the Unfaithful it should remove all the non-state religions.

You can put any mana upgrade on the nodes, that tooltip is just pulling the first one.

Adepts can never learn body 2. They can only learn rank 1 spheres. They have to be upgraded to mages or conjurers before they can learn rank 2 spells. And they have to be upgraded to archmages or summoners before they can learn rank 3 spells.

They have to be level 3 before they are able to be upgraded to mages or conjurers. They have to be level 6 before they can be upgraded to archmages or summmoners.

You can neve build a mage, conjurer, high priest, archmage, summoner or immortal. You have to go through the upgrade process to make them.

Sisonpyh said:
This version of the mod seems to take MUCH longer to load save games. It also takes an usual amount of time to open the world builder.

I don't experience this using FFH1 or vanilla civ. Is this a known issue? Or is just me..

There is a ton of objects in the game comnpared to vanilla, these all have to be gone through in both the processes you mentioned.

Kael said:
There is a ton of objects in the game comnpared to vanilla, these all have to be gone through in both the processes you mentioned.

Ah, ok figured as much.

I've been getting a CTD in my latest game, I posted the file up in the Bugs forum if you have the time to take a look.

kendric said:
Hey, tried this latest version. Its pretty cool. Lots of great changes, too numerous to list. I think summons were still too strong before and they have been made more so. Granted you have to pay money to upgrade to them now but they are just too easy to spam the computer with. It might be ok vs humans with that anti summon building but the computer isn't going to reliabliy have those. Perhaps if making summons costs xp and you get less then it costs each turn so you cant make them over and over?

Id be cruious to hear what summons you think are more powerful. they rank 2 (conjurer) summons are generally less powerful than the fire elemental in FffH1 and the rank 3 (summoner) summons should be generally less powerful than the demon in FfH1.

Janusi said:
Hi, just started playing FFH2 and so far I like it a lot. I began with the Luchiurp and found myself alone on an island.

In any case, I did notice something a little bottersome. The wonder Pact of Nilhorn only has a description but it doesn't tell me what it actually does.

Haven't gone further so I have nothing else to report except that everything seemed to be working so far.:goodjob:

That should be fixed with the patch.

EDIT: pmed you, wanted to say, from a nif viewer perspective your mod looks great ;) hopefully i can test it ingame today...

seZereth said:
hi keal, perhaps you can help me, as you can help with almost everything ;) i wanted to play your mod, downloaded 1.61 and ffh2, and then... every text in the menus etc disappeared, you can still click what u want, but you cant read what you click, i think this issue has occured sometimes before, so perhaps you already know what i am talking of. this is urgent ;)

That usually means your text files are messed up. Your /assets/xml/text/ directory should only have 1 file in it (and no sub-directories). Do you have something different than that, or some in your customer assets?

3rd crash, i tried to go back to a saved game, went back to five different ones and 15 years back, but none would load, got about half way thru this time, when loading it got to the wallpaper of the FfH and tried loading but poof, got the microsoft error to send or not to send.

I have the patch applied also.

First off, let me apologize in advance for any repetitions of comments :/. I haven't read the whole thread :(.

Let's see, first off a few "bugs". There is a bug on line 468 in CvEventManger.py--
if Cyame().getSorenRandNum(100, "Bob") <= 3:

Just left out the G ;)

Also, captured bears can build the dancing bear even without a carnival, not clear if that is intentional or not, but it seemed odd (to me).

I used the "fantasy map" map script, which I assume was installed with FfH2 (hense why I had mana nodes ;). The script produces some really wonkey maps. I ran with "logical" resource placement, but I had ice squares that were acting like flood plains (without the health penalty), and ice, tundra, desert, and plains all mixed willy nilly together. It made for some very ugly maps. Also I had oasises on tundra, plains, I believe even ice squares not just desert (that's without any use of the water sphere). Have you considered co-opting one of the existing map scripts for your base mapscript? For FfH 1 I took the Oasis script and modified it to add in some "scenario" flavor to FfH1. It's a very easy to understand mapscript with selective resource placement algorithms already written. Add some ice in place of the water at the northern end (add some ice to the south region) so you can have your undead walking (I just added them manually to certain parts of the oasis) and you have yourself some sort of random generated scenario lite type map :). Just a thought. Could probably whip it up in a few hours, really.

Let's see, ok.. so some impressions. I felt like there aught to be some sort of forced specialization of casters. I spent a certain amount of time getting caster units with every different sphere. This seemed sort of wrong, like, somehow, being the Dwarves with nature sphere and earth, and death and life and chaos and entropy and... Was sort of.. bad role-playing :). Might be nice to come up with a system wherein you developed specialization with various kinds of magic. I had some ideas for a system like this a while ago I wrote down somewhere, but... Don't remember the details, but you can do a variant on event-driven tech opportunities, where getting a caster with a certain sphere or sphere combo created the opportunity to research a particular casting tech. Having a water sphere caster sit in a water node gave you a 1% * games speed chance each turn of discovering a new water magic tech you could then research, etc. Oh, right, now I remember, I had an idea for having discrete magical colleges in each particular city which had their own spellbooks, which casters could learn from, attempt to extend or attempt to propagate to other cities, etc. Anyway...

Let's see. I think I lost focus a while ago, so I'll just throw in a few other thoughts I had. Lizardman going over the water is mean. That caught me by surprise :). Mmm.. I still think culture bonuses for animal acts are pretty crazy high. It would be nice if you could add some features to make the mod easier to play. Like, having a unit newly built in a city automatically get all the enchantments available from the casters present in the city, so I don't have to do some sort of laborious micromanagement enchantment chain.

Also, it would be great to see a feature where I could hit ctrl-b, say, and have all the barbarians on my map hilited with a grid square color coded by the highest move unit in the square. I like to play on Raging Barbarians with FfH, but after a point, it just starts taking too long checking every barbarian stack to make sure you arn't about to get surprised by something.

Let's see, what else... Might already be in at some higher sphere, but a Fire sphere ability to melt ice to grasslands and tundra to plains or some such. Water Walking for Water Sphere. I noticed Air seemed to have been removed or unfinished. I'm sure you have lots of ideas already for spells anyway. Just wished I could pretty up my ugly terrain 8).

I'm sure I've forgotten quite a few things. I think my brain shut down midway through this post 8). Hopefully it made some sense, though.

@Belizan:

Dancing Beras can be built without carneval as bears the strongest animals. This is the reward for capturing them.

The Fantasy Map script came with Vanilla 1.61. You can use every Map script with FfH and will get our Resources.

You will want to specialize your mages, as a good mage (especially when he wants to become an Archmage) would need: Comvat 1-5, Spell extension 1-3, and one Spell Sphere on level 3. When you buy a lot of different Spheres you will be able to use most of them quite unsuccessfull.

Belizan said:
Let's see, what else... Might already be in at some higher sphere, but a Fire sphere ability to melt ice to grasslands and tundra to plains or some such.

Try Nature III (Vitalize the Land)

Belizan said:
Let's see, ok.. so some impressions. I felt like there aught to be some sort of forced specialization of casters. I spent a certain amount of time getting caster units with every different sphere. This seemed sort of wrong, like, somehow, being the Dwarves with nature sphere and earth, and death and life and chaos and entropy and... Was sort of.. bad role-playing :). Might be nice to come up with a system wherein you developed specialization with various kinds of magic. I had some ideas for a system like this a while ago I wrote down somewhere, but... Don't remember the details, but you can do a variant on event-driven tech opportunities, where getting a caster with a certain sphere or sphere combo created the opportunity to research a particular casting tech. Having a water sphere caster sit in a water node gave you a 1% * games speed chance each turn of discovering a new water magic tech you could then research, etc. Oh, right, now I remember, I had an idea for having discrete magical colleges in each particular city which had their own spellbooks, which casters could learn from, attempt to extend or attempt to propagate to other cities, etc. Anyway...

Chalid answered most of your points, but I wanted to respond to this one. I really thought about making a few upgrades for spellcasters that allow different spheres. So for example you could upgrade to an elementalist that could learn fire, air, earth and water spheres, or a thaumaturgist than could learn spirit, mind and body, etc etc.

This does make a lot of roleplaying sense, but it limits strategic choice. I like the fact that you can build the mage however you like. If you imagine your civ has law and chaos mages then go ahead and do it. Roleplaying is what you decide to do.

Top Bottom