Official System Requirements

my turn !

my laptop is quite old:
core 2 duo 1,66Ghz
2Go DDR2
ATI x1300 256Mo

I guess my graphical carg is not enough to run ciV...? thanks

Really I need a whole new computer even though I have a 3Ghz duel core processor? I figured just getting a true graphics card would do the trick.
You should be able to run it (with a new graphics card), but I'm guessing the late-game won't be very pleasant.

my turn !

my laptop is quite old:
core 2 duo 1,66Ghz
2Go DDR2
ATI x1300 256MB

I guess my graphical card is not enough to run ciV...? thanks
Yes - it falls well below the minimum requirements. It will probably launch, but it won't be playable.

You should be able to run it (with a new graphics card), but I'm guessing the late-game won't be very pleasant.

I'm used to slow late-games even since Civ3 playing on the world map with preplaced cities that came with PTW. 15 Minutes turns were brutal towards then end. (I've gotten a much better computer since then however.)

Really I need a whole new computer even though I have a 3Ghz duel core processor?

Computation speed for games almost never scales linearly with the number of cores. So even if CiV scales well with the number of cores, a 3 GHz Dual Core will be about as fast as a 1.8 GHz Quad Core (as in recommended specs). You should be fine :)

I use my Windows XP Bootcamp partition primarily as my gaming partition, and games like Left 4 Dead run just fine for me. Fortunately, my MBP will run ciV, but I'm wondering this: Would upgrading to a 64-bit version of Windows 7 help Civilization V to run any more smoothly, since it makes better use of the 4GB of RAM I have available? Or would the benefit be minimal? I don't, really, want to spend the extra money, but I'd consider it if it'd help me have a better experience with ciV.

Thank you.

Should be recent enough, considering Apple's release timeframes. Mostly it depends on which model did you end up with? Are we talking base 13" MBP with integrated graphics, the top-end MBP 17" with a standalone GPU, or something in between.

I hope it's something with a standalone GPU.

It is a 13 inch macbook, so its on the lower side. The thing I'm most concerned about is the graphics card, I'm not sure what is integrated and what isn't.
i posted my computers stats a little while back, but here they are:
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.26 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 3 MB
Memory: 2 GB
Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz

Chipset Model: NVIDIA GeForce 9400M
Type: Display
Bus: PCI
VRAM (Total): 256 MB
Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)
Device ID: 0x0863
Revision ID: 0x00b1
ROM Revision: 3427

(2 of these, RAM)
size: 1 GB
Type: DDR3
Speed: 1067 MHz

Is this game, or is it not, more graphically demanding than Napoleon: Total War?

Because I can run Napoleon pretty well

For CAN$200, you can do much, much better than either of the cards you were looking at. You can get a GTX 460 for CAD$199+Shipping, or a Radeon 5770 for CAD$143+shipping after a rebate. The GTX 460 is a good deal faster than the 5770, for what it's worth. You do have a PCI-Express slot, right? :blush:

If you're on AGP, the best you're going to do is this Radeon 4670 for CAD$105+shipping after rebate
I have 2 PCI-Express slots--a x16 that houses the current video card and a free x1 slot. I gather the new card will have to replace the current one in that slot. Not sure if it's PCI 2.0, though--my manual doesn't specify, so I'm worried that it's not (the system is a Dell Dimension 9200C, in case you're wondering).

My thanks to you, Quintillus, and tokala for your help. :goodjob:

It is a 13 inch macbook, so its on the lower side. The thing I'm most concerned about is the graphics card, I'm not sure what is integrated and what isn't.
i posted my computers stats a little while back, but here they are:
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.26 GHz
RAM: 2GB DDR3 @1067

Chipset Model: NVIDIA GeForce 9400M
VRAM (Total): 256 MB

Hope you don't mind, but I edited that down for you.

The 13" MBPs come with an integrated GPU. The GeForce 9400M will share up to 256MB of video ram by "borrowing" it from the system RAM. This is not a standalone GPU. Review of the 9400M in Apple line for gaming.

You might be out of luck, given the published minimum specs for Civ5. It's really hard to say until we start seeing some real-world installs. It might load, and you'd likely have to play on minimum graphics setting. Your gameplay will probably be choppy, and experience late game slowdowns.

EDIT: I don't play Starcraft, so I don't know if this is a useful reference or not. However, others with your same unit are playing SC2 on low settings. Improved performance with extra RAM and by playing via Boot Camp. Up to you to decide if it's worth making those investments.

Ooh, ooh, me, me! ;)
I hope to run civ 5 with bootcamp with win 7 on my late '07 mac pro, which has 2 Dual-Core Intel Xeon 2.66 GHz Processors and the stock NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT. I'm thinking the graphics card needs upgrading(?). With a little research, it seems that the ATI Radeon HD 4870 is the way to go, but it's pretty expensive at $349. Anyone know of another card that would handle civ 5 for less? Or a better card for a comparable price?
Or should I just scrap the idea of playing it on my mac? :p
Thanks in advance!:goodjob:

Ooh, ooh, me, me! ;)
I hope to run civ 5 with bootcamp with win 7 on my late '07 mac pro, which has 2 Dual-Core Intel Xeon 2.66 GHz Processors and the stock NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT. I'm thinking the graphics card needs upgrading(?). With a little research, it seems that the ATI Radeon HD 4870 is the way to go, but it's pretty expensive at $349. Anyone know of another card that would handle civ 5 for less? Or a better card for a comparable price?

I've been under the impression that it is essentially impossible to upgrade a video card in a MBP, because the card is soldered to the motherboard.

I've been under the impression that it is essentially impossible to upgrade a video card in a MBP, because the card is soldered to the motherboard.

No, it's totally upgradeable, as it is a pcie card. The problem, apparently, is that most of the graphics cards out there aren't compatible with the mac OS. :(
Thanks for your reply though!

(Also, I forgot to mention in my last post that I have 9 gigs of RAM.)

Ooh, ooh, me, me! ;)

Yes, I'd guess that your Pro needs at least a new GPU. Also add more RAM -- from what I can tell, the stock model came with only 1GB. Is that right? Yikes that seems so little by today's standards. Especially if you plan to use BootCamp and Win7, you'll need more RAM.

To be honest, I know very little about the Mac Pro models, and so I don't want to mislead you. There are some great resources to be found online. And if you're shopping for a new GPU, the online outlet OWC routinely receives good feedback from the community of a Mac forum I'm on. Their sales team can help you identify your exact model and upgrade paths.

No, it's totally upgradeable, as it is a pcie card. The problem, apparently, is that most of the graphics cards out there aren't compatible with the mac OS. :(
Thanks for your reply though!

(Also, I forgot to mention in my last post that I have 9 gigs of RAM.)

Well, I learned something today. Unfortunately, I'm somewhat behind in my familiarity with available hardware, so I won't be of much help. Hopefully, someone else will be, though.

It is impossible to upgrade the GPU in the MacBook Pro for the exact reason you mentioned -- it's soldered to the logic board.

However, our friend Seek has a Mac Pro, which is upgradeable. Unfortunately, options are limited and tend to be very pricey.

Yes, I'd guess that your Pro needs at least a new GPU. Also add more RAM -- from what I can tell, the stock model came with only 1GB. Is that right? Yikes that seems so little by today's standards. Especially if you plan to use BootCamp and Win7, you'll need more RAM.

To be honest, I know very little about the Mac Pro models, and so I don't want to mislead you. There are some great resources to be found online. And if you're shopping for a new GPU, the online outlet OWC routinely receives good feedback from the community of a Mac forum I'm on. Their sales team can help you identify your exact model and upgrade paths.

Yeah, I forgot to list my ram in my first post, but I added 8 gigs on top of the original, so I *think* I'm ok in that area.
Thanks for the link, I'll check them out.:)

It is impossible to upgrade the GPU in the MacBook Pro for the exact reason you mentioned -- it's soldered to the logic board.

However, our friend Seek has a Mac Pro, which is upgradeable. Unfortunately, options are limited and tend to be very pricey.

Oh, I misread that one detail. I'm sorry about that. It's late, at the moment, and I wasn't as focused on what I was reading as I could have been.

Top Bottom