Unique Civ-Specific Great People Names

Cool, well I'm not releasing a version of CD any time before then so no worries. Also I'm curious as to how I'll get this linear thing working, all I'll have to do is change one of your variables, right?

One more thing, I saw in some of the above posts that a simple "A Great Artist has been born in a far away place" will show up instead of the great artist's name.. may I request that you create a variable or a different version that allows the name to show up all the time? I know this may give you a tiny advantage but I think the flavour is better than just seeing a great artist or great engineer. Or, as you said, just show the name of the great person after you meet this civ, but that would probably be more difficult to code, and take longer to release. :p

I have been deliberately delaying it until I can upload the corrected version with the savegame fix. The way things are going, that will likely be sometime in April or May. :p

well I guess I'll just have to wait. I was hoping to put this on the next version of civil war, just edit it to my needs of course, and give you credit of course ;)

I didn't read back many pages, will this include Dales fix?

Cool, well I'm not releasing a version of CD any time before then so no worries. Also I'm curious as to how I'll get this linear thing working, all I'll have to do is change one of your variables, right?

One more thing, I saw in some of the above posts that a simple "A Great Artist has been born in a far away place" will show up instead of the great artist's name.. may I request that you create a variable or a different version that allows the name to show up all the time? I know this may give you a tiny advantage but I think the flavour is better than just seeing a great artist or great engineer. Or, as you said, just show the name of the great person after you meet this civ, but that would probably be more difficult to code, and take longer to release. :p

To change the linear ordering you just change RandomNameOrder = 1 to RandomNameOrder = 0 in the Python naming file. I could've put this in a regular CONFIG file I guess but I got lazy. :p

About the "great X has been born..." notification, I plan to make a feature that displays a special message if you have met the Civilization, but I don't know when I will have time. :crazyeye:

well I guess I'll just have to wait. I was hoping to put this on the next version of civil war, just edit it to my needs of course, and give you credit of course ;)

I didn't read back many pages, will this include Dales fix?

You mean the one about the unit names being saved with the worldbuilder? No. I suppose I could include it, but he said it will be in the next patch anyway.

I have been deliberately delaying it until I can upload the corrected version with the savegame fix. The way things are going, that will likely be sometime in April or May. :p

...plus, there are 100 custom CIV Gold civs to add to the mix. :D

The new patch has delayed it even more; I have to wait until I can confirm that it works well on 3.17.

I got an idea for a message if you haven't met the civilization...

"A Great (Person) has been born in a distant land!"

Interesting idea. I will try to implement custom messages in the near future. I had originally planned to make different event notifications for each Great Person type, so it shouldn't be too hard to hide the type altogether if you haven't met the target civ.

This is great! I love this mod it's so practical. Keep up the good work!:goodjob:

The new patch has delayed it even more; I have to wait until I can confirm that it works well on 3.17.
What's the status Giaus... you have an up-and-working v3.17 patch (and save-game issue(s) fixed?)... also, I assume that a unit is a unit is a unit... so if this works for great people, this would also work with other unit types (like ship names specific to nations).

Would it be possible for someone to upload the older, unfixed version of this mod. I used to have it before my computer crashed, now I find playing the game without it kind of irritating.

What's the status Giaus... you have an up-and-working v3.17 patch (and save-game issue(s) fixed?)... also, I assume that a unit is a unit is a unit... so if this works for great people, this would also work with other unit types (like ship names specific to nations).

I figured out a really simple way to fix the savegame issue, but it works only for sequential naming... but it's multiplayer compatible. GeneralMatt and I have been testing it in our latest games. As you suspected, the new mod also has land and sea unit naming, so you can have the Missouri for America and the Graf Spee for Germany without having lots of extra units. I don't know when it will be out, though.

If somebody wants to upload the old .zip file in the meantime, that would help. :)

As you suspected, the new mod also has land and sea unit naming, so you can have the Missouri for America and the Graf Spee for Germany without having lots of extra units. I don't know when it will be out, though.

I don't know, if you have use for it, but anyway: I have made lists with ship names for every vanilla civilization (about 70+ ship names for each civ), because Refar once thought about creating a mod for giving each sea unit a name. But this didn't worked well, as far as I understand. However, if you can use these lists for your mod, just say something.

Here you are. I added some comments from where the names are. (It wasn't possible to find historical names for ships for every civ.) No name should be longer than 25 letters. (I think 25 letters is the longest allowed name in the game.) If you have questions about the lists, send me an IM. Please let me know, if they are helpfull.

Attachments

• Ship_names.zip
    29.6 KB · Views: 81
Top Bottom