Unique Civ-Specific Great People Names

I'm sorry if this has been asked before, but is there any way that I can get this into another mod, or does it have to be by itself? Thanks.

I always liked this mod but it's still annoying how you can get the modern people in ancient times and vice-versa.

Tell it to Mexico. I'm waiting for him to release a BtS version of his fix. :)

Yes, you can combine this with other mods, but it will be a little tricky in some cases and you'll have to combine the XML files.

Try looking at post 128. :)

Aargh.. Curses.. This mod was out for BtS already and I didn't even realize it until today! :D

Well, this warrants a download!

Really nice mod, merging right now in my own compilation.

Just as historical note:
Apollodorus was a greek man of letters and a sculptor ;)

Thanks again for the mod and keep it up :goodjob:

Just as historical note:
Apollodorus was a greek man of letters and a sculptor ;)

Ahem... ;)

Some civs have people who weren't ethnically part of that civilization, but who were employed by it. A good example is Apollodorus, who was ethnically Greek, yet is included with the Romans because he lived under the Roman Empire, worked for the Romans and made major contributions toward Roman engineering.

:D

I am currently trying to update this mod to a Python system. This will eliminate the need for all the extra XML files and UU's, replacing it with a name-change-upon-birth system. Unfortunately, I'm having a bit of trouble getting it to work right now.

hi there ^^

did you make any progress about the pyton version?

Actually, yes, I am still working on the BtS python verson. Unfortunately, I've had some trouble adapting TheLopez's mod (worked fine in Warlords, but not in BtS) so I'll have to look at it more closely this weekend and see if I can't get it running. :)

I hope to finish this soon, because it makes adding names MUCH simpler.

That's one possibility. As it stands, the way I have it worked out the game will not display the names unless it's your own civ, so I had to add an extra event notification for others. It shouldn't be too hard to implement a check to see if you've met them yet, but that will probably be a later addition.

So you WANT to be able to see only your own names? I always thought that kind of ruined half the fun. :crazyeye:

I'll try to see if I can do both.

I now have the basic skeleton working within BtS, which means in theory I could release it as-is and it'd function without any problems whatsoever. No need to download the old Great General fix, either. :D

However, before I do that I'd like to clean up some of the little things that are bugging me. Right now the system uses TheLopez's random name generator, so in theory you could have the same great person born twice. This is not entirely new (C3C's system also worked on a loop whereby if you ran out of names, the list would start again from the top) but I think it makes more sense to have only one birth per person. :crazyeye: The title of this thread is, after all, Unique Civ-Specific Great People....

So what I am going to try to do is to rework the random naming convention to eliminate names which have already been used. Sounds trivial, I know, but I haven't had a lot of time lately to code in Python, so it could take a while.

Also, the current system will not display names in the event log, meaning the only way you can see somebody's unique name is to look at the unit on the map. This will make NikNaks93 happy, I'm sure :), although later on I plan to add an additional global notification that displays only after you have discovered that civ.

Top Bottom