What civs do you enjoy playing as most?

Loucypher

King
Just a fun thread for some light discussion and talk about which civs we actually ENJOY playing as most. We can all debate for ages on which ones are the best and the worst, but some folks might not enjoy turtling up as babylon and just scientistspam all day long, they'd rather go in a viking pillage tour with Denmark. So, this topic is for those who just want to talk about their personal favorites to use, the ones you have the most enjoyable games with, no matter the reason.

For me, there's 3 standouts:

The Inca
I love everything about this civ. Military wise, the Slinger may be the weakest link in their chain, but that's more then made up for by their maneuvrability over the hills. This, combined with their extremely cheap roads, enables you to have a very mobile force supported by cheap roads. The Terrace Farm is probably the best UI in the game, the way it supports huge cities with some powerful production along with it is mouth-wateringly good.

The Dutch
Maybe I'm slightly native-biased here, but the Dutch just play so well for me. Early game flexibility (Do I need money to maintain a bigger army or extra happiness for the expansion?) followed up by the second best UI in the game. Marsh Polders aren't that great (Though really, 4 food, 1 hammer and 2 gold from a marsh is hard to argue with) but once you got some flood plains, hoo. They follow it up with being a terror on the seas come Rennaisance. Flexible start, dies down a bit at late classical/early medieval, but once you have hit Economics and Navigation, they're just so much fun to play.

Russia
Russia is to me all about their UI. That extra production may not seem like much, but their early cities get kickstarted so well from it, not to mention in the later game, your cities will be churning out units and buildings in no time. The extra gold in the early game from pawning off your extra strategics and the ability to field a larger strategics-fueled army is a nice bonus to that. The Krepost is forgettable and the Cossack is in the bottom half of UU's, but still, Russia is so much fun to play due to their high production rates...

...come and think of it, I seem to love civs that have a knack for high production. Huh.

Portugal, because of their music and their useful ability. Also have nice ships, and the improvement can come in handy, too (haven't tried it out yet, though, for some reason.)
And Polynesia, because of their great ability and the moais. And their music makes you almost feel like you're at vacation at the beginning of the game.
I also like the leaders of both. Pity you can neither see nor hear them when you play them yourselves.
And I guess I agree that the science-turtling civilizations like Babylon and Korea aren't really that exciting. They're good, and I like them as an ally, but I prefer choosing others.
Really, a nice musical theme can certainly increase the enjoyment I get of any game. (Off-topic, but is there a way to find them on the hard disk or get the names of them? There are some I'd like to listen to when I'm not even playing the game.)

The Dutch and Inca for me too. I seem to like the unique improvements.

I like Morocco too though. Might be #3.

Arabia: I love trade empires and they're the best trade civilization. If you get Bazaar it gives you extra luxury and that's fantastic for trade.

Ottomans: Great UU's and literally 'King of the Seas'. They're fantastic both on sea and land.

Assyria: Perfect combination of War and Science. You always lead the game if you're Assyria. Also, their both UU and UB is great. Even if you research Physics do not upgrade your Siege Tower because they don't obsolete with Physics but Chemistry.

Babylon: One of my other favorite peaceful civilization. Always lead the game, the best faction for science victory. Also, Babylon Walls and early Bow unit is quite good for defend your cities.

The Aztecs. Raging barbarians gets tons of early game culture and the UA is just so fun throughout the game. They have the best tall UB in the game and I prefer a tall strategy. The Jaguar warrior is pretty good at scouting and looks cool.

Germany: I actually enjoy the UA of converting barb camps. I also just like being Germany (family heritage).

Poland: I like the UA, UB and UU...not much else to say!

Spain: Love being near natural wonders. When I play as someone else and find a wonder near my capital and it is not about to be taken by a city-state, I always wish I was Spain.

Swedes (what, a civ where diplo actually matters?!), Persians (Perfect for a speedy puppet empire swimming in gold, and I love the immortal artwork), Aztecs (Super fun UA and UU; UB is strong enough to cope with messing about with so much war), Danes (more movement again, and the beserker feels super strong to me now its early, I love the pillage repair w pyramids cheese), English (sea-keshiks, sniper xbows and super science steal), and of course you can't beat a good old fashioned steam roll with China.

These are my standard ones:

Aztecs - tall science
Poland (guilty pleasure) domination
Portugal - trade
Morocco - trade
Venice - trade
Korea - tall science

I like any civilization with a good seige uu. So any civilization that has a good civilization with a seige unit as its UU is interesting. Other civilizations that i enjoy playing with are civilizations that have a religion to go with it so that you can get the piety start with them.

I like playing as England, Russia, and Germany. I am just naturally good with England I guess, pretty much all of the games I've played as them I was super advanced in tech. I like Russia because the production bonuses and resource bonuses helps out a TON, especially early game and later in the game as well. Germany is good because you can focus more on your infrastructure early game, while you get fan army from barbarian encampments.

I have an England (I'm a filthy Canuck colonist peasant) and Germany (my family is from Germany) fetish. My current game is Russian Duel domination, however, and I'm liking playing the Reds, at least on this small map.

Generally, Unique Improvements are always fun. They bring more flavor to a civ than anything else does and I hope that everybody gets one come Civ 6.

Assyria's Siege Towers are great fun. I mean, they're a lot like the Battering Rams but I just like them a lot more.

Aztec culture victory is always a fun time.

I enjoy playing the iroquois. They can run through forests and jungles as it's a road and mohawks are effective in forest. I feel like I have an army of predators when intruders enter in my territory !

Greek : Perfect to grab all city-states (almost a civ to cheat ?).

Venice : It's fun to play a city-state. It's the perfect civ to make international bizness.

The Maya - science+religion seems to be one of the best combos. And it encourages going wide - my preference.
Poland - obvious for their UA.
Arabia - very nice UB and one of the best UUs. Good for domination.
Siam - was surprisongly strong for me. Obviously diplo.
Inca - imagine a desert mountainous start and you even grab a petra! The fastest science victory for me.
Egypt - seems to be fun.
And I am prone to playing with Rome, although they're not that good. Depending on the situation the Assyrians can be very powerful.

Persia - for some reason I just enjoy their UA. What others do doesn't matter when your cities are on "Golden Drugs" for a half of the game.
China - we all know they are powerful, plus I'm biased towards the civ :)
Aztec/Inca/Dutch - I started focusing heavily on growth recently and these civs definitely help.

Top Bottom