COTM 9 quick game - spoiler thread

Theoden

Deity
GOTM Staff
This is the spoiler thread for the COTM 9 quick game. To qualify for this spoiler you must have played and submitted your game.

In addition to discussing the game, comments and feedback are also welcome.

So, did you revolt to republic in the beginning? What did you do to stabilize the economy? How was your balance between researching and trading?

I didn't revolt to republic, as i didn't think it would be worthwhile in the short period of time. Got a monopoly on Music Theory and Economics to get most of the bottom row. I think i hit Industrial 1410AD. Miss out on a Free Artistry monopoly by about 2 turns. All MA techs ended up being researched.

It took 22 turns to get there (in the interturn of 1300). I disbanded a number of units, added some workers to cities, settled a couple more towns on the island, and kept building universities. Got the monopoly on music theory, traded around for a number of techs, including republic, and revolted. I set a bunch of scientists on invention during the 4 turn revolt. Grabbed 2 more monopoly techs (Economics, free artistry, and I cant remember the third tech) in 4 turns each, and that got me to the Industrial Age. I guess the turns I cant remember was finishing off astronomy at the beginning.

Quick game COTM09

I stayed in Monarchy since I didn't want to risk a long anarchy.

My first action was to sell off all Colloseums and stop the ones being built, I removed the worker stack that where standing and waiting to get fried by an vulcano eruption :nono: , I still remember losing a few when I played this before, I joined most of the workers to citys, in the end I only had 6 left.

I waited for a few turns to do any trading, hoping that the Dutch would sell my contact to someone, I think they sold contact to Zulu since I had contact with them 1180AD.

I learned Astronomy 1160AD and started to research Navigation. I upgraded my galley and sent it west, it survived and made contact with Hitties and China 1190AD. I traded for all contacts and sold Astronomy for Engineering and Feudalism.

1200AD I bought the remaining beakers on Navigation and traded for Invention, started research on Banking.

1250AD Learned Banking, traded for Gunpowder and Chemistry. I noted that no one knew Music Theory so I started that with 90%. I had to loan some cash from Celts 1255AD to be able to do 4 turn reaserch.

1270AD I learned Music Theory at monopoly. I traded for The Republic, Chivalry, Printing Press, Democracy, Physics, Metallurgy, Theory of Gravity, Magnetism and Military Tradition

Objective complete.

I had a few boats out after I lerned Navigation, so I could sell WM every turn.

I think you guys did it the hard way, although ts64 did beat me by 2 turns, I finished in 1280.

Reworked some tiles, mostly irrigating grass, founded one additional city. Then added my workers to various cities, sold a few coloseums. Finished researching astronomy in 5 turns. Researched Music Theory in about 7-8 turns. In the meantime, the Dutch had been pleasant enough to trade contact with me to everyone but Babylon, so during this time I traded Astronomy to China for engineering. When I got Music Theory it was, of course, a monopoly. I managed to trade during that turn for every tech in the MA except for 3 optional techs which nobody had. I started a list of trades, but thanks to my kids I got distracted & it would be hard to put back together now. It went something like this:

Traded MT for techs / gold, got techs some of the backward civs didnt have (Banking, I think) Bought Democracy from someone, 3 civs didnt have it and so I traded it around. Bought another tech, I think Magnetism, & then traded for Theory of Gravity. It was a bunch of trades, I even traded away my only horse resource, but i never built any units anyway, in fact I disbanded my galley. In the end I had to research Free Artistry to get the required 6 optional techs, when I discovered that I traded for Medicine with the Babs just for good measure & then tacked on a few other deals for the fun of it, although I nearly went broke while deficit researching Free artistry, that took me 6 turns, if any civ would have had either Free Artistry, Economics, or Military Tradition I would have been able to finish at 1250.

That was a very interesting scenario:

I reduced the number of military units and disbanded them in cities where I thought I had a chance to finish universities as long as it matters.
The rest of the cities were set to wealth with as many scientists as possible.

Research sequence:
astronomy to finish in 3 turns
music theory to finish in 6 turns
economics to finish in 5 turns

trades:
with astronomy: engineering + all contacts + some money with luxuries
with music theory: feudalism, invention, gunpowder, physics, navigation, banking & chemistry
with economics: metallurgy, democracy, chivalry, republic, theorie of gravity, magnetism

Finished in 1260 AD

When I started, I did not think it was possible in so few turns (I hoped to get an IA tech as well, I gifted Babylon into the IA and had 3 optional techs, which they did not have, but they got nationalism and would not trade.

It was amazing how quickly a large gap in techs can be closed with monopoly techs.
Great quick game, Thanks Theoden

Ronald

Ronald said:
That was a very interesting scenario:

I reduced the number of military units and disbanded them in cities where I thought I had a chance to finish universities as long as it matters.
The rest of the cities were set to wealth with as many scientists as possible.

Research sequence:
astronomy to finish in 3 turns
music theory to finish in 6 turns
economics to finish in 5 turns

trades:
with astronomy: engineering + all contacts + some money with luxuries
with music theory: feudalism, invention, gunpowder, physics, navigation, banking & chemistry
with economics: metallurgy, democracy, chivalry, republic, theorie of gravity, magnetism

Finished in 1260 AD

When I started, I did not think it was possible in so few turns (I hoped to get an IA tech as well, I gifted Babylon into the IA and had 3 optional techs, which they did not have, but they got nationalism and would not trade.

It was amazing how quickly a large gap in techs can be closed with monopoly techs.
Great quick game, Thanks Theoden

Ronald

i only count 5 optional MA techs: navigation, democracy, chivalry, economics, music theory

predesad said:
i only count 5 optional MA techs: navigation, democracy, chivalry, economics, music theory

Sorry. I forgot printing press (democracy would not be possible without it). I think I traded it with music theory.

Ronald

The super trading ability of this scenario was amazing. I definitely thought I would have to research at least one tech myself, but the AIs were a lot further along than anticipated. I think revolting to republic would only have been best if the game went on past the beginning of Industrial.

killercane said:
The super trading ability of this scenario was amazing. I definitely thought I would have to research at least one tech myself, but the AIs were a lot further along than anticipated. I think revolting to republic would only have been best if the game went on past the beginning of Industrial.

It was almost as if it was designed, certain civs needing certain techs, as you traded your way up the tree there was always broker potential, all the way to the IA.

I buy all contacts for gpt deals. I am a banker, buying all lump gold around. That allows to run deficit for several turns. Also sell/buy extra luxuries when possible.

As others, join all workers to mainland cities. Disband military units. Hire a bunch of scientists.

Music theory is a monopoly tech. Research it in five turns. Enter the "what is big picture" screen. Set slider to 10.0.0 and do these trades in between turn. Music theory and gpt deals for Banking, Astronomy, Printing Press, Feudalism, Engineering, Invention. Scroll through city screens changing University builds to Banks/wealth.

Next is a monopoly tech Economics. Five turns again. I get a bit of luck two civs learn Democracy, I be able to trade for it. Together with Economics, Democracy, gpt trade for the rest techs. The IA and 6 optionals accquired in 1230AD.

10 turns quite good. It would be interesting if someone does it in 8 turns. For that you have to hire so many scientists that your population become starved. 8 turns is minimum for this scenario.

1410AD. Not good. I really missed the opportunity to get Economics as a monopoly, and didn't do well out of Music Theory.

I thought I had to change to Republic. I disbanded troops but not enough. Didn't realise i had so many workers: poor prep. I couldn't believe that a combo of trades and GPT could accelerate me through so many techs so fast. Played last night too late to submit. Great fun. Finished 1350.

Top Bottom