More victory types!

Conquest - Defeat all three colonies and 75 % of Native american forces

Domination: Have 50 % more land, Population, Army or Gold (any combination of two) than your next best opponent for 10 turns. Doesn't kick in if the enemy has 25% more in two ther category's or 50% in one.

Influence: Win 51% of Parliaments support by Bribing politicians or doing favours for them (like sink 5 dutch ships), Sending Founding Fathers to the Motherland (they give + 5% support but you lose their abilities) and sending goods requested by parliament home.

What do you think. Too complex, Too stupid or needs to be thought through? Or maybe even another Victory type?

As long as you're a colony, your mother country gets all the glory. The Influence victory idea is nice, but the others are kind of irrelevant in the context of Colonization. All extra victories should point towards achieving independence through various means, in a way your King wouldn't be able to blame you directly, and therefore unleash his Royal Expeditionary Force on you.

The Influence victory is suitable for that, as you'd get enough parliament support to get independence from them. There could be an Economic victory as well, in which you 'bribe' the other motherlands with a lot of gold so that they apply pressure on yours, and get your King to grant you independence for the sake of his European territory.

However, the problem of the Influence victory lies in the fact that not all European powers had such legal bodies. In France, the King decided on basically everything.

However, the problem of the Influence victory lies in the fact that not all European powers had such legal bodies. In France, the King decided on basically everything.
It doesn't have to be specifically parliament or individual politicians you're appeasing. It very well might just be convincing the King to grant you independence. It might require a slight re-imagining from the OP's proposal, but the essential idea's the same.

Always seemed logical to me that a game with an economic foundation to have an Economic Victory condition.. In Civ4, a modder added a complete new Religious Victory condition.. I'm hoping Colonization allows modders the opportunity to add a new one but I'm thinking not.. (sigh)

Yeah, I would like to see:

Religious Victory
Since Christianity will likely be the only religion in C4C, this could be based on either converts or religious freedom. Or both. For example, say you need to obtain 70% Religious Influence. Converting natives to Christianity will boost your influence by, say, 6%, while obtaining a number of crosses would boost it only by 3%. However, you need at least 50% of your the Religious Influence(35% of the total RI) to be from crosses.

Influence Victory
As mentioned earlier, this would involve gaining the support of either Parliament(If your country has one) or the Nobility and Aristocracy. This victory will be easier to achieve if your country has a Parliament, but is still possible if it doesn't. Sending over ambassadors(certain FF could become Great Ambassadors), sending gifts of gold or luxury resources, and liberty bell production would help them side with your colony over the King.

Diplomatic Victory
Unlike the Influence Victory, this involves gaining support from other nations. Helping their colonies, fighting their wars, and sending them treasure trains and/or gifts of money would help other countries ally with you.

There is no economic victory, and this is for a simple reason: until you gain independence, everything in your colony is technically your founding countries'. However, if you do have a powerful economy, you can use it to gain victory by 'purchacing' a Influence or Diplomatic Victory.

Okay eliminate the parliament. You have to influence nobles, who played a key part in society. And they were involved in warfare so a few favours like sinking one or two trade ships should appease them!

You could also influence nobles by selling them goods at lower prices (would require another option in Europe screen).

Well, there is no reason why Christianity can't be split up into Catholicism (Spain, France) and Protestant (England/Dutch). The idea being to get as many natives and individual colonies to convert to your specific sect of Christianity. Just a thought.

Aussie.

Or you could let it be really complicated- get used to being English Protestants, and then get the word from the mother country that the new king decided we're all gonna be Catholic now. Then three or four decades later, when you're used to that, the new new king says we're all going back to Protestantism.

Maybe that was part of the 50% cross bonus for the English- their monarchs kept on ticking off new groups of Christians.

Well, there is no reason why Christianity can't be split up into Catholicism (Spain, France) and Protestant (England/Dutch). The idea being to get as many natives and individual colonies to convert to your specific sect of Christianity. Just a thought.

Aussie.

I do like this idea.

Or it could be split into Anglicanism (England), Protestantism (Netherlands), Catholicism (France), Archcatholicism (Spain, which had a few officially "archcatholic" monarchs). This way everyone would have a religion.

Yes, but Spanish was more orthodox. Catholicism is different in every country. I know that because I live in catholic country with LOTS of unique aspects.

Yes, but Spanish was more orthodox. Catholicism is different in every country. I know that because I live in catholic country with LOTS of unique aspects.
So do I. But they all still acknowledge the same church and share the same theological values.

You could say there are different kinds of anglicans, lutherans and jews too.

Well they comletely ignored the fact that Christianity was in the beggining a Jewish sect (you can found Christianity without having a single city with Judaism) so they can ignore theological aspect as well. Besides it's more about organization of church. I don't remember much about France and Spain but in other Catholic countries local governments always tried to influence the church politically. Think of it as of a church with Spanish/French priests and Spanish/French traditions more than of a church with Spanish/French theological ideas.

And one more thing: there are two kinds of Catholicism: Greek and Roman. Believers of both of them obey the pope but they have some theeological differences.

Dutch= protestant/ lutheran
English= anglican church
Spanish= Catholic church(i.e. the pope)
Not sure about the French, though theyre not known for religious standpoints.
And orthodox greeks do not obey the pope.

Never heard of Greekocatholicism, or whatever it is called in English? It is a branch (if I can call it so) of western-european Christians that separated from the Orthodox church and agreed to obey the pope.

Also keep in mind that not everything with "Greek" in its name has something to do with Greece.

Never heard of Greekocatholicism, or whatever it is called in English? It is a branch (if I can call it so) of western-european Christians that separated from the Orthodox church and agreed to obey the pope.

Also keep in mind that not everything with "Greek" in its name has something to do with Greece.
Point is Spain and France share the same Roman Catholicism. Some people tend to be more orthodox than others, but you can find that in every religion.

Yeah, I would like to see:

Religious Victory
Since Christianity will likely be the only religion in C4C, this could be based on either converts or religious freedom. Or both. For example, say you need to obtain 70% Religious Influence. Converting natives to Christianity will boost your influence by, say, 6%, while obtaining a number of crosses would boost it only by 3%. However, you need at least 50% of your the Religious Influence(35% of the total RI) to be from crosses.

Influence Victory
As mentioned earlier, this would involve gaining the support of either Parliament(If your country has one) or the Nobility and Aristocracy. This victory will be easier to achieve if your country has a Parliament, but is still possible if it doesn't. Sending over ambassadors(certain FF could become Great Ambassadors), sending gifts of gold or luxury resources, and liberty bell production would help them side with your colony over the King.

Diplomatic Victory
Unlike the Influence Victory, this involves gaining support from other nations. Helping their colonies, fighting their wars, and sending them treasure trains and/or gifts of money would help other countries ally with you.

I like the two last ideas - especially the Influence Victory one.

I don't know how to quote, but I'll try.

Point is Spain and France share the same Roman Catholicism. Some people tend to be more orthodox than others, but you can find that in every religion.

That's why I added the point:

Besides it's more about organization of church. I don't remember much about France and Spain but in other Catholic countries local governments always tried to influence the church politically. Think of it as of a church with Spanish/French priests and Spanish/French traditions more than of a church with Spanish/French theological ideas.

What I meant was also the fact that can be simplified into this:
Spanish priests - obey pope and king.
French priests - obey king and pope.

For example: Philip IV taxed the priesthood and the pope opposed the idea french priests supported the king against the will of the pope (although that was in middle ages). French absolutism was also based on the theory that noone is above the king in his country not even the pope. Cardinal Rihelieu and Luis XIII let the Calvins practise they faith in Edict of Nantes ignoring counter-reformation.

Spain under Isabella and Ferdinand started the famous Spanish inquisition. I also remember this archcatholic monarh Philip II.

That's what I remember from history though I may be wrong at some points.

Beside that gameplay > realism and hawing the same religion for France and Spain wuld make it impossible to implement religious wictory.

Top Bottom