Poland Discussions

Didn't want to post in the sticky thread up top, but someone posted the stats of the Winged Hussar. Disappointing to see that it seems the Lancer base unit hasn't changed much. The pike into lancer upgrade and huge gap until anti-tank guns is constantly mentioned as annoying. It is still early and the stats obviously show nothing of the upgrade path or tech tree modifications, but I think if the base Lancer unit isn't fixed, the new Polish UU isn't going to get a lot of love.

Case in point: Hakkapellita

Well, the Winged Hussar isn't a unit designed to win entirely by itself, it's designed to open up tactical abilities brought about by forcing other units to involuntarily withdraw.

I can bet 10$ that the first three cities in the list are going to be Warsaw, Kraków and Vilnius.

Wheres the UA info coming from?? One free social policy per era is ridiculously OP. Frances UA only grants it two free social policies the entire game. Personally im doubtful

Wheres the UA info coming from?? One free social policy per era is ridiculously OP. Frances UA only grants it two free social policies the entire game. Personally im doubtful

It's from here..

Firaxis said:
Poland’s trait is called Solidarity, and they receive a free Social Policy when they advance into each new era. Poland gave us the opportunity design a Civ with extremely strong mounted units in the Medieval-Renaissance era. When you see the bonus for the Winged Hussar, it should give players a lot of flexibility in terms of changing the way a battle unfolds tactically. Since their Civ trait is extremely flexible, I think Poland is an effective Civ for a wide variety of victories.

Well, the Winged Hussar isn't a unit designed to win entirely by itself, it's designed to open up tactical abilities brought about by forcing other units to involuntarily withdraw.

I understand that, but there are still some core issues with the base unit. There are complaints all the time. The upgrade cost is expensive and it is only marginally better than pikes against mounted.

Compare:

Pikes have 24 combat strength against mounted. 30 while fortified. Cost 90 hammers. Can fortify and use defensive terrain. No penalty against cities.

Lancers have 33 combat strength against mounted. Cost 185 hammers. Extra movement and move after attack. No defensive bonuses and penalties against cities.

With all those penalties, I consider the Lancer a very minor upgrade which comes significantly later in the tech tree. Then just two techs later and Cavalry hit the field at 34 combat strength making your 200 gold upgrade a waste. If they do manage to survive, they use up gold maintenance as useless units all the way until Combined Arms way down the tech tree when they finally can upgrade into anti-tank guns.

Like I said, unless there are changes not yet apparent, the Winged Hussar is set-up for a terrible place in the tech tree with terrible stats. As it stands now, you are better off just deleting pikes and ignoring lancers. Let us just hope that there are changes not represented on the posted Hussar stats.

Firaxis themselves mentioned it in one of the interviews and let's not call something OP until we used it. Remember the cries about how the Celts would be OP and how Austria would be UP in G&K?

It's also worth pointing out that people are complaining that the UA is overpowered and other people are complaining that the UU is underpowered. That seems to me like it evens out right there.

Wheres the "two free social policies the entire game" coming from?? It is helping puppet France empire and helps if you are not either screwed militarily or way too good at research.

I can't say whether it is underpowered or not, only commenting that I hope the base unit was/is looked at else the UU is bound to fall in the footsteps of the Hakkapellita and Sipahi. It is difficult to get excited about a new UU if the base unit is crap.

The free policy per era doesnt sound overpowered to me actually. You either beeline to the next age or you choose the tech you need. Besides, they'd have nothing till the classical age. The AI otherwise would be a killer. But it still nice and strong late game.

It is also difficult to say one way or the other until we know just how the entire culture system is being changed. In the current game a free policy per era would be extremely powerful and would be essentially allowing you to build Utopia in four policies instead of five. But Utopia is out and CV's are getting a complete overhaul.

While more policies is always better, I don't know how great a large number are with no Utopia. After your third completed tree, the bonuses begin to gradually lose relative power. Or to put it another way, there are a lot of time-sensitive policies that become filler junk policies you need to complete for Utopia. After all the useful policies are picked up, you are left with things like free settler after map is filled, culture from barbs after all camps are cleared, etc.

Going off of what we currently know, I'd even argue that Poland's UA is better used as a way to get policies without relying on culture buildings rather than as a way to get more additional policies on top of what you already have. I think I'd rather be able to ignore most of the culture buildings while still maintaining a decent policy rate than get forced into picking up a junk policy, just 'cause the UA tells me to.

I think lancers should get 2-4 more xombat strength and then we need something between lancers and AT-guns. Now i just delete pikes after medieval era if i don't have lancer UU. Winded hussars may be good unit in late renaissance, but about 2 techs later there are rifles and cavalry on battlefield.

So far, I think I like this Poland. It soesn't seem OP and an awkward UU doesn't always mean anything. In my games, there are very few UU I seem to be able to get the most out of. Mainly just Longbowmen and both Greeks. The only problem I have with them is the name of the Winged Hussars. I know that is most widely known but Hussars are already in the game. Could Poland not have got Uhlans instead. They do pretty much the same thing.

How can we possibly determine if it's OP if we don't even know anything about the jump from G&K to Brave New World? The jump from vanilla to G&K was massive and changed how we approached core concepts

"Solidarity" is what it is until we get more information. Not OP. Not not OP.

Latest linked interview cites two new policy trees and that the previous culture system is still in the game. It could be that all Civs will acquire more policies through out the game, so 5 or 6 free as Poland may be right on par.

In other words in current games you generally get 20-25 policies in general play (not pushing for CV). If that number in BNW is pushed to 35 or something, Poland's number of free policies is a lower percentage. A Civ like France may also be getting a similar amount of additional policies in BNW.

If we can say that the existing social policies are going to be retained in BNW, plus new social policies, then i think its safe to say Poland will be OP. Image if they go cultural, start game, find ruin with 60 culture, go traditionalism, then go go honor, slay barbarians go all the way down to professional army...your going to see ridiculous bonus' absolutely unfitting for a country i feel doesn't deserve to be in civ v. The UU, whos cares, itll still be better than the hakkapeliitta

If we can say that the existing social policies are going to be retained in BNW, plus new social policies, then i think its safe to say Poland will be OP. Image if they go cultural, start game, find ruin with 60 culture, go traditionalism, then go go honor, slay barbarians go all the way down to professional army...your going to see ridiculous bonus' absolutely unfitting for a country i feel doesn't deserve to be in civ v. The UU, whos cares, itll still be better than the hakkapeliitta

But why would you make that assumption? It seems more likely that the acquisition of social policies will be changed significantly due to the social policy/ideology schism. It seems like you are kind of jumping to conclusions based on the fact that you don't want Poland to be in the game.

Top Bottom