Poland Discussions

just realized that in a city with Barack, armory, military academy, polish UB stable, Alhambra and Brandenburger Tor = winged hussars with Drill 1 + 75xp!

imagine the pushback ability + attack twice + bonus against wounded, poland could be preatty mean!

That'll upgrade to one powerful Anti-Tank gun :p

Moderator Action: Historical spam deleted. Please heed moderator warnings to not conduct a historical discussion in this thread. Discuss the known details of the Polish civ in BNW, and speculate about what else we might find out.

Everybody has so far assumed that Poland will get a Social Policy every era, and even Firaxis seems to have confirmed that, but the actual text on the start screen is:
"Receive a free social policy when you advance to the next era."

"The" next era, not "a" "new" era or "each" next era. Written that way, it sounds like you will only get a free social policy when you enter the era following your starting era, and that's it.

Probably just sloppy writing on part of the developers, but still.

Everybody has so far assumed that Poland will get a Social Policy every era, and even Firaxis seems to have confirmed that, but the actual text on the start screen is:

"The" next era, not "a" "new" era or "each" next era. Written that way, it sounds like you will only get a free social policy when you enter the era following your starting era, and that's it.

I suppose the text can be interpreted that way, but it is a very safe assumption that Poland will get a free social policy at the beginning of each new era. One social policy would be... pathetic, to say the least.

I suppose the text can be interpreted that way, but it is a very safe assumption that Poland will get a free social policy at the beginning of each new era. One social policy would be... pathetic, to say the least.
If social policy costs/benefits remains similar it would not be weak, in particular if you can choose the era you take this free SP. It would be like free Oracle. If you compare this with G+K free spy for England its quite a lot. On the other hand, free SP every new era means +7 free SP (more than one social policy tree) and this would be overpowered.

In addition, both are completely valid interpretations of "the," given the flexibility of English. I can come up with a great example, but it's a fairly nuanced legal issue so it might be more confusing than elucidating.

We had a vote here at the office (everyone here have a degree in military history...) on what military unit that was the most "Elite" in human history, and Winged Hussars ended up on the list at 5th place. (1st was Navy Seals, 2nd was Varangian Guard, 3rd was Immortals, 4th was Knights Hospitaller...)

Looking forward to play Poland.

I don't think the UA leaves Poland overpowered. We know that social policies are going to be somewhat less important in BNW than before - at least they are not the path to victory. You won't have built up the culture that would equate to the extra policies, so you won't have anything extra towards cultural defence. The UB/UU combo is nice, but not overwhelming. So I think Poland will be just asnthey advertised it at PAX East - flexible and readily adaptable to most kinds of victory, but hardly a runaway superpower.

Myself and others have said a lot of Poland depends on the Winged Hussar.

Well, on paper this UU doesn't disappoint

I was worried it would be a chance UU like the Slinger, but it's so much more powerful than that:

Unique Unit - Winged Hussar; Lancer replacement; If they deal more damage in combat than they take, the unit they're fighting is forced back one tile. If the enemy has nowhere to run, they take extra damage and may be destroyed.

Smart move by the design team finally making a Lancer worth building

you're forgetting that everytime you are in the "current" era, the next era is always "The" next era

Top Bottom