Apolyton Preview Part 4: There Be Units

DanQ

Owner, Civilized Communication
The fourth part of Apolyton Civilization Site's multi-part preview of Civilization: Revolution written by yours truly :D is now available. Entitled "There Be Units", here's an excerpt:

If you have logged time with one or more previous Civ titles, you may find one or more of your most favourite or despised units are missing. This would not be surprising as the total number of units in CivRev is less than you will find previously in the series. However, all unit types (e.g. mounted) and classes (e.g. air) are represented.

The fifth part of this `Rev It Up` feature is to be released soon.

Is it just me, or did the Worker mechanic get changed to the one from Colonization?

How do improvements happen? Do they happen? I saw the comment in Appendix A: "Indian cities are able to use any resource, even if they have not researched the tech normally required to utilize it." Does that mean that if I put a worker on, say, a Sugar Tile, I get all of the food/trade benefits but not the sugar itself until I research the required tech? Or can I not put a worker on it?

f I put a worker on, say, a Sugar Tile, I get all of the food/trade benefits but not the sugar itself until I research the required tech? Or can I not put a worker on it?

Except in special circumstances (e.g. with a civilization's unique trait), you only get one 'benefit' per tile be it food, commerce or hammers. You can assign a worker to any tile within your city's (cultural) border whether it has a particular resource or not. You simply will not be able to take advantage of what that resource offers if you are required to have a particular technology for it and don't have it (yet). For example then, you must acquire Bronze Working before you can harvest Fish.

I believe that if you are working a water tile with Fish but before you acquire Bronze Working, the benefit your city gains is simply that of a standard water tile. To not be able to work it, or to work it and gain no benefit from it before obtaining the required tech, would not be consistent with the underlying goals for CivRev.

Top Bottom