"Shadow" schedule

having done some archery, I can say you that simple body building is not sufficient.(especially if your bodybuilding is done by falling tree with axe or by swordfighting as in FfH or middle age... these are not the same mussle at all).

plus ranged combat with bow is not straight flight... so you need not marksmen but people that can pull the same weight as their neighbour, and aim in the same direction at the same height.... it is way harder than you think. if you miss you may fire on your friends.
+ aiming (even roughly) at a 100m distance (or more) while you are in a tensile stress is quite hard.

then, going for the RoF that is the strong point of LB, you need those 5-10 years. (try cocking and firing 10 arrows a minute for an extended period, without making some stray or even fall, without smashing your fingers or your wrist : you need a hand move that is almost instinctive only hard training can do that).
If you train not enough (only few month + do body-building), you can have eventually the pull, the almost-aim, the endurance or the RoF, maybe 3 of the four caracteristics but not the four.

and if you only have three of those, a X-bow is more powerful on a 1-1 fight than a LB, and easier trained, without Body building.

wor X-bow, the pull-weight is identical. you just need the guy to vaguely aim in the right direction. + as strengh is much more important you can fire almost straight.

Changing the subject from this fascinating philosophical discussion :p. Have there been any changes to any other civs, however small other then the malakim, belseraphs, svartalfar and sidar? Any new units or buildings or graphics etc?

I like the Crossbow change simply because it adds extra flavor for the Elven civs. I would prefer though that both were in the game in a way which reflected their strengths and weaknesses. But if I had my way, the game might not load due to too many units lol.

I have fired both the recurve and cross bows. I've never used a proper longbow. I was actually more accurate at moderately short range with the recurve and compound bows than with the crossbow. But I have had a couple years of light practice on the recurve, whereas I only fired the crossbow a handful of different times. Aiming the recurve with declination in mind, seemed far more natural to me than with the crossbow. I couldn't imagine how the crossbow could ever totally replace the longbow in combat. Its distance and the ability to hit foes behind fortifications and in forest cover with great accuracy, made it a valuable asset. The crossbow could not do all that the longbow did. But then again, the crossbow had some versatility and strengths that the longbow didn't have. They are different weapons with their own strengths and weaknesses. The crossbow didn't obsolete the longbow. This now happens in the game, but with game mechanics considered, this may make sense whereas in real life it wouldn't.

By the nearly same arguements, the long bow never replaced the short bow.

And I have often seen people state that the units represent an entire regiment, not a single (or 3) person. So just imagine that there are twice as many Crossbowmen represented by the unit because they take barely more than hald the resources to develop. More people who are not quite as effective individually IS a logical progression in advancement of warfare, which is why the Musket eventually came into power (which was almost the same argument as the Crossbow, but slightly more apparant as having been a change)

*twitch twitch* Isn't it the 16th yet... *twitch* Want Shadows... *twitch*

yea... realized that the 16th is on a sunday rather then saturday! (guess i have to stay up to get it at 12 and play it in the a.m.):rolleyes:

I have a question concerning the council. Wouldn't it be obvious that another player is following the council if he's shown as having no religion in mid to late game? I also worry about their sneak attack special ability, especially in combination with invisible units.

Gna, damn it, I got so used to Kael always posting the info articles after (his) midnight that I'm now disappointed to not be able to read about the Sidar. Cursed anticipation! :D

Yea, the most boring breakfast of the whole weak :/

I have a question concerning the council. Wouldn't it be obvious that another player is following the council if he's shown as having no religion in mid to late game? I also worry about their sneak attack special ability, especially in combination with invisible units.
By late game the surprise has probably worn off. But one game I ofunded OO and CoE, didn't want to switch to CoE until after I had the tower of complacency. I didn't really pay attention to the fact that three AI's had no religion, I figured it hadn't spread to them yet.
But when I did switch, I was surprised to find there were three ai's who had the same religion.

By late game the surprise has probably worn off. But one game I ofunded OO and CoE, didn't want to switch to CoE until after I had the tower of complacency. I didn't really pay attention to the fact that three AI's had no religion, I figured it hadn't spread to them yet.
But when I did switch, I was surprised to find there were three ai's who had the same religion.

i think it would be interesting to have the ability to have CoE and another religion at the same time... would make since if the Svartalfar could be (practicing) CoE and FoL at the same time (for shows)

December 13th Sidar: Fighting Shadows
gahhh.. the suspence is killing me!

One thing which comes to my mind is......if you go to the religion screen can you see Council of Esus % population, cities where it has spread?

One thing which comes to my mind is......if you go to the religion screen can you see Council of Esus % population, cities where it has spread?

No, we added a new function to players, "Can see Religion" and "Can see Civic" which controls if messages and such are displayed to players for that religion or civic. Thats not to say that we haven't missed a place, which is one of things I will want to know from you guys after we release (no, I dont want a list of all the places it displays right now, just play and let me know if you see a message you shouldn't).

Its actually a bit of a pain to hide information like this, but after we get this worked out we are going to add some events and such around accusing players of being members of the Undercouncil (correctly or incorrectly) that should be fun and first we have to make sure there actually isn't a way for non-members to know.

Also the Sidar link is up in the first post.

--------------

I'm starting to drool like a Pavlovian St Bernard with rabies! All these teasers, its not fair!

Top Bottom