What Native American tribe do you expect/want?

Which Native American tribe do you expect/want?

• Total voters
I can't, I'm just a regular guy ;)

I've studied history and various tribes in the past. I used to be fascinated by the Iroquois, which helped inspire me to learn about more as well. Plus, I've posted here for about a decade, so I see a lot of suggestions pop up.

For example, I used to dismiss the Mississippians as a viable option, but someone here convinced me otherwise.

Ah, it's alright. It was my first thread with a poll and I didn't really know how it worked. I just wanted a small amount instead of 25 tribes where a majority had probably no chance of getting in.

Now that I have studied the Inuits, however, I really would like to see their UA affect ice terrain. It's a useless terrain that no civilization improves as far as I know. Then again, ice isn't really a big part of maps, so it could become useless.

What do I want? The Inuit would be awesome if they came with a suitably game-changing UA and/or UI to turn desolate tundra into awesome, but Nazca with a Nazca Lines UI for deserts could be a lot of fun as well. Part of the reasons I love the Polynesians is because stone heads everywhere. Now, give me something like that that exploits the otherwise barren deserts instead of valuable coastline? Yes.

What do I expect? IIRC, the Sioux were in Civ 2, which seriously ups their odds.

Oh man I would LOVE this. I love unique improvements, the Nazca Lines are fascinating already, so... yeah.

Wonder what yield it could give.... +1 Faith, with +1 science upon researching Archeology? Hmmmmm.

Aww man, an Inuit Inuksuk UI that gives +1:c5food::c5production::c5culture: for every surrounding snow tile. Sweet.

Or +1 food and hammer for that tile. A little more balanced.
Although that would almost have to mean they'd have a dogsled for their uu and I'm not sure I'm ready for that. Or maybe an ulu or bolas warrior, if they really want to reach for a decent unit. I'm just not sure what bonuses any of them would get.

You're Mayan, right? MesoAmerican.
South American natives? Native South Americans.

Aka, Native Americans ;)

Mesoamerican is a description of a different epoch and not a valid descriptor of people still alive

I could see the Inuksuk providing food and production, and maybe culture after a certain tech (much like the Moai statues). A unique unit could be an Ulu Warrior (like Awesome said) that replaces the Warrior. Maybe an Ulu Warrior could create (once per unit) a camp or something food related?

You're Mayan, right? MesoAmerican.
South American natives? Native South Americans.

And a Native South American is not a Native American? Really?

What do I want? The Inuit would be awesome if they came with a suitably game-changing UA and/or UI to turn desolate tundra into awesome, but Nazca with a Nazca Lines UI for deserts could be a lot of fun as well. Part of the reasons I love the Polynesians is because stone heads everywhere. Now, give me something like that that exploits the otherwise barren deserts instead of valuable coastline? Yes.

What do I expect? IIRC, the Sioux were in Civ 2, which seriously ups their odds.

Wow a Nazca civ would be awesome too!! Well-thought!! But if the Nazca Lines are not in as an UI, they could be a World Wonder, right?

I expect the Sioux because they're well known and have had a leader previously appear.

I want the Inuit, mainly for the reasons people have said above. Snow and ice are basically useless tiles that function more as obstacles, and it would be interesting to have at least one civilization that could utilize them. Apanuugpak may have been mythical (the Nelson Islanders don't treat him as such) but that hasn't stopped Firaxis before, and this time I'd be inclined to give them a pass.

My vote goes to the Potawatomi and the Council of Three Fires.

Capital = Michilimackinack
Leader = Nuscotomeg
UA = River Traders - Can form sea trade routes along tiles adjacent to rivers. Tiles adjacent to rivers produce an extra food and gold. Units pay only 1 movement point moving into a tile adjacent to a river

I expect the Sioux, I want the Caddo.

The Caddo would be the best choice to represent the mound-building Eastern Woodlands cultures. I don't really like generalized amalgamation civs. I prefer a civ like England or a more specific amalgamation civ like the Iroquois. So I'm not really a fan of the idea of a Mississippian civ. I'd rather see a specific Mississippian culture and the Caddo are a great choice.

The Caddo numbered 600,000 when the Columbian Exchange began. Their complex culture collapsed due to European diseases but they did build cities. The word Texas is derived from a Caddo term and hey've even made an appearance in Civ IV in the NA city list with Nacogdoches. There is a Caddo languages project to aid/provide a voice actor, so some of the technical problems could be overcome.

I really hope that if the Sioux are chosen, Sitting Bull is not their leader.

Much better, in my opinion, would be Crazy Horse of the Cheyenne - but I think for a game like Civ, we need a culture that had more permanent settlements - thus, my vote is for Cherokee. Their culture is fascinating, and they could have some sort of bonus for adapting to different situations.

But if they are included their ability will probably be something silly like "Trail of Tears"...

My vote goes to the Potawatomi and the Council of Three Fires.

Capital = Michilimackinack
Leader = Nuscotomeg
UA = River Traders - Can form sea trade routes along tiles adjacent to rivers. Tiles adjacent to rivers produce an extra food and gold. Units pay only 1 movement point moving into a tile adjacent to a river

Sounds good. I like the idea of brainstorming possible ideas.

Mine:

Sitting Bull of the Sioux

UA (Dwellers on the Prairie): 25% Combat Bonus against technologically superior Civilizations and +1 :c5culture: on Plains terrain.
UU: Dog Soldier (replaces Lancer)
UC: Tipi (+ :c5food:, an additional + :c5production: if on adjacent tiles)

Achievement: Custer's Last Stand
Kill an enemy general with a Dog Soldier

New resource is Bison/Buffalo, maybe?

Given the focus of the expansion - and that with the inclusion of the Zulu, we already an early-rush military-focused Civ - I'd want and expect a Native American civ that doesn't focus on military or horse-rushing. A dark horse like the Hopi, known to be a spiritual and peaceful tribe, might well be a welcome addition.

But I would have preferred the Apache. The US military feared Geronimo more than they feared Sitting Bull.

The Apache would also be a very good choice. Geronimo is famous in his later years for his diplomacy with Teddy Roosevelt. Could open up some diplomatic options for them.

Much better, in my opinion, would be Crazy Horse of the Cheyenne - but I think for a game like Civ, we need a culture that had more permanent settlements - thus, my vote is for Cherokee. Their culture is fascinating, and they could have some sort of bonus for adapting to different situations.

But if they are included their ability will probably be something silly like "Trail of Tears"...

Considering we now have a culture system that affects Civs around you, I imagine the Cherokee might get a bonus from outside cultural influence. An example could be that 500 external US culture is exerted on the Cherokee a turn, and a 10th of that goes to their defensive culture. It would align perfectly with a well documented historical trait of theirs: Adopt techniques and cultural practices from neighbors to strengthen your own culture and identity.

Given the focus of the expansion - and that with the inclusion of the Zulu, we already an early-rush military-focused Civ - I'd want and expect a Native American civ that doesn't focus on military or horse-rushing. A dark horse like the Hopi, known to be a spiritual and peaceful tribe, might well be a welcome addition.

The Hopi are one of the Pueblo peoples. By definition if the Pueblo aren't in, the Hopi won't be either

I prefer the Comanche over the Sioux. However, if the Tomahawk unit is any indication, it will be some kind of Eastern Native American (the western ones didn't use tomahawks). I think either Cherokee, who readily adapted to the new technologies and way of life being brought in by Europeans. Or the Shawnee, who had an awesome leader in Tecumseh who put together a large confederation of tribes in order to resist the US and establish a Native American nation in the Midwest. He was killed in battle and betrayed by the British in the Treaty of Ghent. He failed of course, but so did Sitting Bull. Can he rise again and lead his people? Will he build a civilization to stand the test of time?

However, if the Tomahawk unit is any indication, it will be some kind of Eastern Native American (the western ones didn't use tomahawks).?

What is this tomahawk unit? I think I saw a picture that had a Native American with barbarian colors to it, but that could just be another ethnic skin for barbarians.

However, if the Tomahawk unit is any indication, it will be some kind of Eastern Native American (the western ones didn't use tomahawks). I think either Cherokee, who readily adapted to the new technologies and way of life being brought in by Europeans. Or the Shawnee, who had an awesome leader in Tecumseh who put together a large confederation of tribes in order to resist the US and establish a Native American nation in the Midwest. He was killed in battle and betrayed by the British in the Treaty of Ghent. He failed of course, but so did Sitting Bull. Can he rise again and lead his people? Will he build a civilization to stand the test of time?

I think Hiawatha will represent the "eastern" Native Americas. Now it should be a western, or plains, tribe. I mean I don't think geography means much to Fireaxis. Sitting Bull was the head of the Native American Empire (seriously?) in Civ IV. Then again, I guess it could have changed with this entry.

Top Bottom