What Native American tribe do you expect/want?

Which Native American tribe do you expect/want?

• Total voters
So.
Looking at the list of the Amerindians in the poll, I find few of them to be potential candidates. Ed Beach (I think) referred to the Zulu as the "fly in the ointment" because they didn't take advantage of the new mechanics added by BNW, thus implying the other Civs included do. With that in mind, I can't honestly see how most of these could be included.

The Sioux - Aside from the fact that CiV is a game based around cities, which the Sioux never founded or captured, the Sioux don't have a reputation for extensive trade networks, manufactured goods, or a unique approach to "culture". Perhaps they could be given a unique luxury/resource, bison is often tossed around. The problem I see with that is that : 1.) Bison were never traded, 2.) Bison were nomadic and thus wouldn't occupy one tile indefinitely, 3.) If bison are just a resource on a tile, how does that make them unique to the Sioux?

The Apache/Navajo - While they did trade, they were not famed for their trade networks. And as for culture, they too don't really have a legacy of "uniqueness". Their best bet for inclusion is probably based of their geographical location and potential relation to the Pueblo. Perhaps a desert/plains bonus. They're also decently well known to both American and European crowds based on their common inclusion in "western" movies and shows.

The Comanche - The Comanche suffer from many of the issues the Sioux have for inclusion. Nomadic, non-agricultural, not known for trading or an influential/unique culture.

The Cherokee - Out of the options listed, the Cherokee seem the best bet. The inclusion of a potential Tomahawk(Eastern weaponry) easter egg and the American Civil War scenario also hints towards them. The main reason for inclusion though would be their interesting take on culture. Its been said a couple times, apologies if its redundant. The Cherokee had a unique trait in how they handled European influences to their society. Instead of rejecting them outright, or letting them erode the fabric of their society as was often the case, the Cherokee used the "innovations", be them technological or societal, of the Europeans to help strengthen their own society. They adopted plantation style farming, invented their own alphabet and newspaper for their language, and even sent pupils to be trained in Western law to better help defend their lands from encroachment. Previously I noted that a potential UA could involve taking a percentage of external culture from their neighbors adding it to their internal culture. This could then reflect their unique ability to solidify their own culture by using other cultures around them.

I feel that other potential options include :
The Pueblo's Chaco Canyon was a huge center of continental trade. Also Turquoise could potentially be a new resource. And lets not forget we only know their leader was scrapped, not the Civ itself.
The Mississippians are also an option. For years people have been calling for river trading routes, and if implemented, a UA that takes advantage of that would make for some interesting gameplay.

So.
Looking at the list of the Amerindians in the poll, I find few of them to be potential candidates. Ed Beach (I think) referred to the Zulu as the "fly in the ointment" because they didn't take advantage of the new mechanics added by BNW, thus implying the other Civs included do. With that in mind, I can't honestly see how most of these could be included.

The Sioux - Aside from the fact that CiV is a game based around cities, which the Sioux never founded or captured, the Sioux don't have a reputation for extensive trade networks, manufactured goods, or a unique approach to "culture". Perhaps they could be given a unique luxury/resource, bison is often tossed around. The problem I see with that is that : 1.) Bison were never traded, 2.) Bison were nomadic and thus wouldn't occupy one tile indefinitely, 3.) If bison are just a resource on a tile, how does that make them unique to the Sioux?

The Apache/Navajo - While they did trade, they were not famed for their trade networks. And as for culture, they too don't really have a legacy of "uniqueness". Their best bet for inclusion is probably based of their geographical location and potential relation to the Pueblo. Perhaps a desert/plains bonus. They're also decently well known to both American and European crowds based on their common inclusion in "western" movies and shows.

The Comanche - The Comanche suffer from many of the issues the Sioux have for inclusion. Nomadic, non-agricultural, not known for trading or an influential/unique culture.

The Cherokee - Out of the options listed, the Cherokee seem the best bet. The inclusion of a potential Tomahawk(Eastern weaponry) easter egg and the American Civil War scenario also hints towards them. The main reason for inclusion though would be their interesting take on culture. Its been said a couple times, apologies if its redundant. The Cherokee had a unique trait in how they handled European influences to their society. Instead of rejecting them outright, or letting them erode the fabric of their society as was often the case, the Cherokee used the "innovations", be them technological or societal, of the Europeans to help strengthen their own society. They adopted plantation style farming, invented their own alphabet and newspaper for their language, and even sent pupils to be trained in Western law to better help defend their lands from encroachment. Previously I noted that a potential UA could involve taking a percentage of external culture from their neighbors adding it to their internal culture. This could then reflect their unique ability to solidify their own culture by using other cultures around them.

The Pueblo's Chaco Canyon was a huge center of continental trade. Also Turquoise could potentially be a new resource. And lets not forget we only know their leader was scrapped, not the Civ itself.
The Mississippians are also an option. For years people have been calling for river trading routes, and if implemented, a UA that takes advantage of that would make for some interesting gameplay.

Aside from the Comanche being extensive traders, especially in horses, I'd say your perspective is spot on. I had suggested in the past that the Comanche could get culture from unimproved plains tiles to reflect their spiritual ties to the land. But it is a moot point. I just don't think any plains Natives are in.

The Cherokee are the likeliest Native Americans. The Pueblo would have worked well, but I think they are completely out of it. Not only did they lament about Popey, they also lamented about the interesting UA concepts with espionage features they were abandoning.
I don't think the Mississipians are likely, unfortunately. The Tomahawk unit would seem to preclude them, as the weapons were introduced by European traders and the Mississippians were all but gone by then.

I just want a southwestern one, doesn't matter which. There aren't enough good desert civs.

This poll should have been made multiple choice.

Aside from the Comanche being extensive traders, especially in horses,

True. I guess I was thinking more along the lines of "caravan" style trading than horses. I should have specified better.

The Pueblo would have worked well, but I think they are completely out of it. Not only did they lament about Popey, they also lamented about the interesting UA concepts with espionage features they were abandoning.

Oh, I suppose I missed their lament. A shame, they could have been fun.

I'd love to see the Navajo/Diné to be in the game. I heard a suggestion for their Unique Ability to be Code Talkers with an espionage bonus, which I think would be pretty cool, because we don't have a civ with an espionage bonus so far. They also are very cultured, and they currently have the largest reservation in the US. They also tie in with the trading/culture additions in the expansion, they love to create art and if you have ever been to the Navajo reservation, you will see that there are many trading posts selling their local art. The I think they would be a wonderful addition to the game.

I'd love to see the Navajo/Diné to be in the game. I heard a suggestion for their Unique Ability to be Code Talkers with an espionage bonus, which I think would be pretty cool, because we don't have a civ with an espionage bonus so far. They also are very cultured, and they currently have the largest reservation in the US. They also tie in with the trading/culture additions in the expansion, they love to create art and if you have ever been to the Navajo reservation, you will see that there are many trading posts selling their local art. The I think they would be a wonderful addition to the game.

You bring up an interesting notion about the potential for an espionage bonus considering the apparent concept surrounding the scrapped Pueblo. Though it should be noted that the use of their language in WW2 doesn't necessarily reflect their culture in a historical light, nor does trading posts constructed on their reservations imply extensive trade networks.

So.

A great analysis there ! :goodjob:

Given the huge popularity of Native American Civs, I think they really should add two instead of just one. Sioux seems most popular and I am sure many would be disappointed not to see Sitting Bull in his headdress, but the Pueblo/Navajo or the Apache instead, Cherokee and the Mississippians are way more deserving. Hopefully we will get some DLC Civs after the expansion.

The Apache / Chiricahua would make a excellent Desert/Plains Civs. Perhaps Baishan (Black Knife) as the leader, Wigwam UI/UB and Chiricahua scout as the UU. Unique Ability something like; Cactus Life. Desert tiles provide +1Food and +1 Production and all Land units start with Blitz promotion.

Good idea. The Navajo would be the closest replacement for the Pueblo and could use, at least, the Espionage part of their concept UA. :)

A great analysis there ! :goodjob:

Given the huge popularity of Native American Civs, I think they really should add two instead of just one. Sioux seems most popular and I am sure many would be disappointed not to see Sitting Bull in his headdress, but the Pueblo/Navajo or the Apache instead, Cherokee and the Mississippians are way more deserving. Hopefully we will get some DLC Civs after the expansion.

The Apache / Chiricahua would make a excellent Desert/Plains Civs. Perhaps Baishan (Black Knife) as the leader, Wigwam UI/UB and Chiricahua scout as the UU. Unique Ability something like; Cactus Life. Desert tiles provide +1Food and +1 Production and all Land units start with Blitz promotion.

Good idea. The Navajo would be the closest replacement for the Pueblo and could use, at least, the Espionage part of their concept UA. :)

It's possible that they add 2 but there are lots of options for that 9th slot and Italy/Venice really does seem likely to have got that slot based on the evidence people have observed. With Asia likely to get the 8th slot and Morocco the 6th it would leave only one for a Nth American tribe.

As alpha2117 said, I doubt they'll have 2 native american civilizations. For the other three last slots, I'm also buying that Italy/Venice, Morocco, and an Asian civ will get in, so only one native american civ.

Still, to be honest, that's way better than previous iterations of Civ (though that's not saying much, admittedly), which either had only one native american group (Sioux or Iroqouis) or probably the most ludricous blob civ in the Civ series' history (Native America).

So.

As said before, good analysis. Cherokee are looking more likely with every argument for them. The leader would be John Ross, I presume?

I'm still stubborn for a plains/western tribe. I think the only way for Fireaxis to completely satisfy us all is to make Sitting Bull the leader of the Native American Empire like in Civ IV.

I think the only way for Fireaxis to completely satisfy us all is to make Sitting Bull the leader of the Native American Empire like in Civ IV.

You have an interesting definition of "completely satisfy" :p.

I can't think of a solution that would be less popular on these forums.

You have an interesting definition of "completely satisfy" :p.

I can't think of a solution that would be less popular on these forums.

It was sarcasm, of course. ;)

Well, it's not exactly unique since Japan did much the same thing after they were forced to enter the world stage (with more success because their isolated geography made it easier for them to avoid Blatantly Illegal Things being done to them) but this sounds like a very interesting game mechanic that I'd love to see and use. They might end up being that "aw nuts" civ for culture players because the Cherokee getting culture for being next to you means that it'll be a heck of a lot harder to spread tourism to them.

But don't youy see, it's brilliant! There are few things more satisfying than griping about Firaxis' design choice of which civs to include or not include. At least, that's the impression I get from these forums some days.

...all joking aside, keep in mind Microprose did manage to assemble a list of city names for the Sioux in Civ II. I think their capital was Wounded Knee, make of that what you will.

As said before, good analysis. Cherokee are looking more likely with every argument for them. The leader would be John Ross, I presume?

I'm still stubborn for a plains/western tribe. I think the only way for Fireaxis to completely satisfy us all is to make Sitting Bull the leader of the Native American Empire like in Civ IV.

John Ross would make the most sense, but they could also go with Nancy Ward if they want to have a women.

Civ 5 seems to have departed from the amalgation civs of previous itinerations, so god no, no Native American Empire any more. I prefer practically anything to that...

John Ross would make the most sense, but they could also go with Nancy Ward if they want to have a women.

As a female Native American leader she surely would be a better choice than Pocahontas. Though I would prefer her original Cherokee name Nanyehi ("One who goes about"). :)

After all this time i've still been holding out for the Pueblo with a leader other than Pope.

But it's just occurred to me, looking at pictures of Pope and other Puebloans like these fellas:

They can't be in BNW. There's no way... They don't have beards... :(

Top Bottom