map size

grommit5

Warlord
I know there is only one map size but does anybody know how it compares to the maps in the demo. Those are some really small maps.

I believe the demo map is the actual size.

if that's true the more i find out about this game the less i'm liking it.

I like the map size.

I hated the fact that in age4, if playing at normal speed - in the 20-30 turns it took your riflemen to go to enemy they'd be fighting infantey instead. Always forced me to play epic++ which is a waste of time really.

I also like the fact that now ships are fast relative to the map and make great transport: some big improvements in key areas have been made - some big shortcomings too, but hopefully we can learn from the good parts.

When I first heard of the one small map size I started becoming skeptic of Rev, but after playing the demo I think it fits perfectly for what they're trying to achieve with Revolution. Though, I wouldn't have minded the option to choose different sizes.

Yeah the map size and gamespeed may fit the game like a glove, but they should still have included some options on this! Very weird..

Not that I've heard of, no. Even if there were, at this map size, it wouldn't be very detailed, so I think the designers decided against it.

Heh. I shouldn't be surprised ... wasn't Civ II the last in the series to actually ship with an Earth map included? *shakes head* You'd think a strategy game devoted to having gamers play as leaders/nations throughout history would have an Earth map included, instead of relying on the mod community to do the work pro bono instead.

Anyway, maybe it's a hidden blessing. I remember playing Civ I on the SNES back in the early 1990s, and, while it did include an Earth map, it was really tight when playing as *any* European nation.

Gatekeeper

i wasn't looking for huge maps or even large maps, just a little larger than the demo. the demo map just seem really small to me. maybe because i play mostly large and huge on BTS.

what dissapoints me even more than map size is the lack of a split screen mode for multiplayer.

Civ3 and 4 both had earth maps

Hmm. Now that I really dig into the old memory cells, I do remember an Earth map with Civ IV (I didn't buy Civ III). I know what kind of irked me, though — there wasn't any placement of the civilizations. Sure, one could play Egypt ... if you didn't mind starting, say, in South America.

I loved the standalone map editor app with Civ II. I hope that returns someday. The in-game editor just isn't the same.

Gatekeeper

Civ 3 had an earth map with random starting spots
Civ 4 had an earth map with specific civs only

Civ Rev should hopefully have an Earth Map with a Random Civ selection (but specific staring spots.... to resolve spacing difficulties, allow only 2 of (England, France, Spain, Rome, Greece, Germany)

I can't help but feel like the lack of map generation options is going to hurt Civ Rev's replayability. Messing around with all the world creation options in PC Civilization games depending on whether you felt like playing a long vs a quick game, on islands vs on a single continent, etc really helped extend the life of the game by letting you try out different strategies in different situations.

Without these kinds of options in Civ Rev, how much of a reward is there for, say, building a navy? If every single generated map is going to be of the one-snaky-continent type we've seen in the demo, I feel like the scope of the game is going to become quite limited. I played about 6 games of the demo, and while it was super fun at first that fun started wearing off as I became more and more efficient at exploiting the same scenario rather than having to think and adjust to different conditions.

Navy is incredibly powerful actually, and due to the usefulness of sea squares i find that 80% of my [and ai] cities are coastal.

Do you have the full version or something? It's hard to even have a navy in the demo, I'm typically just getting galleons when it ends.

yea I have the full version, and an army of battleships adds 27 strength to my attacking units and 27 strength to defending units [ i think the 2nd part is true, i never really paid attention when defending.]

Top Bottom