Bugs with the DS version

AznWarlord

Monarch
I've been playing CivRev on the DS, and I have to say it's pretty interesting and different. But I've found a major bug with the game.

The big one is the battling, like after winning a battle, even if you didn't lose a single "unit" sometimes you'll still end up hurt. At first I thought it was because I hit "Skip" after the last hit was made but the guys didn't cheer yet, maybe that causes the last attack to not count and they just keep battling. So now I just just let the battle finish out every time and I still get the problem sometimes. I have a knight army at fully health destroying an Archer army, I don't lose any "guys" but I still end up losing health.

The DS version, although lacking to the 360 or PS3 version, still is a bit interesting. I'd love to play in on a console though.

I've been playing CivRev on the DS, and I have to say it's pretty interesting and different. But I've found a major bug with the game.

The big one is the battling, like after winning a battle, even if you didn't lose a single "unit" sometimes you'll still end up hurt. At first I thought it was because I hit "Skip" after the last hit was made but the guys didn't cheer yet, maybe that causes the last attack to not count and they just keep battling. So now I just just let the battle finish out every time and I still get the problem sometimes. I have a knight army at fully health destroying an Archer army, I don't lose any "guys" but I still end up losing health.

The DS version, although lacking to the 360 or PS3 version, still is a bit interesting. I'd love to play in on a console though.

I don't think it's a bug per se, but rather what you see happen on the field is not a reliable indication of the actual combat. For instance, I'll attack a group and they're celebrating while they're getting mowed down. Now that's a bug!

The DS screen is not big enough to represent something as large as a knight army (6 knights). So while you might not see any damage happening during the battle, it is actually keeping tally in the background.

Thanks, and I've also had the cheering while getting owned thing as well.

Yeah, this is identical to my experience; however, I always thought (as Dennis pointed out) it was as designed. I really notice it when attacking an enemy city where I lose attacks against 2-3 Rfilemen for example, then my continue attacks show riflemen weakened by a third or two-thirds.

On Emperor and above, I do see the mysteriously appearing enemy unit, in locations that I find it hard to believe they're landing - especially when I have the FOG lifted. However, I'm not going to let that trouble me. I do assume it's WAD and Firaxis wanted it that way for a reason.

As for bugs, the most common one I come across is when the game hiccups IBT while the game-view moves across the map.

I really feel the DS version is absolutely wonderful. To those who do not own a DS, you are missing out on pure joy, Civ-on-the-go!

I would have liked for Firaxis to have incorporated the mic for sound and sense activations in-game. I posted the question for Sid in the on-going Apoly thread for their upcoming interview w/ him. Imagine giving a nice guttural "Argh!" just before attacking to gain a +1 berserk bonus. Or, blowing on the mic to gain a +1 movement for your galley because you had earned the "Age of Sail" bonus. Dennis, anytime you guys need some spot-on consultation, let me know. ;)

I am really enjoying the DS version. I like the pacing of Civ Rev. I really like Civ 4, but a game take soooooo long.

I am really enjoying the DS version. I like the pacing of Civ Rew. I really like Civ 4, but a game take soooooo long.

On Civ 4:

You know you can set the pace at which the game progresses by changing the 'game speed' option. If you would like it quicker than the 'quick game' setting, then you can always go and edit the XML file yourself.

Personally, I edit the normal setting and change it to 300% science cost, so it slows down the scientific progress to a point where the units are actually useful. I find both Civ Rev and Civ 4 suffer from the same problem, they both progress too quickly relative to the unit production. By the time the unit is built, it's already obsolete... and in Civ Rev you can't even upgrade the thing.

- John

That's what really sucks about Rev, no upgrading. And no wealth to go towards an Economic Victory. I swear that's the impossible one.

That's what really sucks about Rev, no upgrading. And no wealth to go towards an Economic Victory. I swear that's the impossible one.

I don't understand your second point.

I meant building Wealth instead of something else to generate gold, like in Civ3.

I find Economic Victories to be very hard, but that's probably cause I'm playing on Deity and all the AI's do is attack.

I meant building Wealth instead of something else to generate gold, like in Civ3.

I find Economic Victories to be very hard, but that's probably cause I'm playing on Deity and all the AI's do is attack.

I'm not really finding economic victories all that difficult, and I'm playing on Deity. I think you just need to utilize the tech tree more, with all those first attainment bonuses. It takes a different strategy than the previous Civs.

- John

Top Bottom