Installing Mods on Civ5 for Mac

Hi all,

I'm running the latest version of Mac and the latest version of Civ V, with G&K and BNW from Steam. I updated the MainMenu.lua file and am able to click Mods within Civ V.

However, I added a mod to my ~/Documents/Aspyr/Civ V/MODS folder, and when I open Civ V and go to enable the Mod, it just says "No Mods Installed."

I'm not sure why it's not recognizing it, it's just not showing up at all so I can't enable it. For the record, I'm trying to install the Falcon - AI Diplomacy mod, and I downloaded the .civ5mod directly from civfanatics.

Any thoughts on what I might be doing wrong?

Thanks.

Hi, welcome :wavey:

Civ5 for Mac cannot read a .civ5mod file. You can only run a mod that has been expanded to create a folder. You then put the folder into the location you have defined. Please make sure that you have followed ALL the steps in the first post in this thread.

I have follow every step to the letter. I can load the IGE from the mod menu and start a game but once the game is loaded there is no button to use the IGE. I have the App store version and posting pics to show I have done everything. Any help would be awesome. I'm not a computer god but I have a very good knowledge of Apple computer.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-07-30 at 4.42.51 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2013-07-30 at 4.42.51 PM.jpg
    165.3 KB · Views: 256
  • Screen Shot 2013-07-30 at 4.41.06 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2013-07-30 at 4.41.06 PM.jpg
    138.6 KB · Views: 164

After you select IGE in the Mods screen you must press Next, and then click Single Player to proceed using the mod. If you click Back, you cancel the mod selection.

Thank you for respond that fast but that is not the problem. I click the mod then hit next then single player and set up a game or just hit random and nothing shows up with anything in the game about ige. It should be left of the turn count from the screen shots I have seen but nothing is there or anywhere on the screen about it.

My reply was based on the fact that the only on-screen indication that the IGE mod is loaded is the IGE button. If that isn't there, it's possible that the mod is not loaded, and the most common cause of that is that players click Back instead of Next after enabling a mod.

If the mod is loaded then, sorry, I have no idea why the button doesn't show.

Thank you for respond that fast but that is not the problem. I click the mod then hit next then single player and set up a game or just hit random and nothing shows up with anything in the game about ige. It should be left of the turn count from the screen shots I have seen but nothing is there or anywhere on the screen about it.
I had that very same problem, and after hours of research and testing, I think I may have found a solution for you. I have found that some mods conflict with IGE, such as ones that add new units or such, and stops it from running. Try removing those mods and see if that works, it worked for me. :mischief: I hope you it works and you enjoy your mods!

Cheers, ColdMagma

Great work on the post ! One problem: when I do the -- on the line : Controls.ModsButton:SetHide( true ); -- MAC_PORT - rickb Comment this line out to re-enable mods. Happy modding!. It says that there is an error code 20004

Great work on the post ! One problem: when I do the -- on the line : Controls.ModsButton:SetHide( true ); -- MAC_PORT - rickb Comment this line out to re-enable mods. Happy modding!. It says that there is an error code 20004

What application reports that error, and when? If it's coming from your text editor when you hit Save, have you done whatever's necessary to give it permissions to change the file?

What application reports that error, and when? If it's coming from your text editor when you hit Save, have you done whatever's necessary to give it permissions to change the file?

Well, I got TextWrangler from the App Store and how do I give it permission ?

As you haven't answered my questions, I'll assume it *is* a permissions issue.

See Step #1 in the first post.

Firstly, you must edit it in an Administrator user account.

I use BBEdit, TextWrangler's big brother. When I open the MainMenu.lua file, and try to edit it, BBEdit asks if I want to unlock the file. If I say yes, it lets me edit the file. When I tell it to save it, it asks for my Administrator password to confirm that I am allowed to do it.

I don't know whether TextWrangler has the same facilities. If it doesn't, then you will have to change the permissions on the MainMenu.lua file AND it's parent folder so that you have write permissions.

Ok. I managed to get the mod screen to appear successfully on Saturday. However, today, nothing is appearing on the main menu! What happened!? HELP!

nevermind. Got it to work. For some reason, the mainmenu.lua file went back to its older version. Once I put in the two dashes (and grayed out the line), it worked! :)

Hi There, thanks for all the info. I've followed this to the letter, but when i move a mod (unzipped) into ~/Library/Containers/com.aspyr.civ5campaign/Data/Library/Application Support/Civilization V Campaign Edition/MODS, nothing happens. I had to create this folder.

I don't think it should be necessary to create the MODS folder. It should already exist. Did the parent folders exist, or did you create those as well?

Silly question, but I have to ask - I assume you're using the App Store version of Civ5?

Which mod did you install? And what failed - did the Mods menu option appear, or did your mod just not show up in the Mods window?

so i did all this and ive successfully installed several mods. but some wont show on my mods list. ive expanded every mod into a new folder using Ez7z and dragged them into my~/Library/Containers/com.aspyr.civ5campaign/Data/Library/Application Support/Civilization V Campaign Edition/MODS folder. And STILL NOTHING. I've tried reinstalling them, extracting them, then expanding them, compressing them, putting them into new folders, please i need help.....

Give us a clue - Which ones work and which ones don't?

If the expanded mod folder doesn't include a xxx.modInfo file then it won't show up. That file's name is the info that appears in the Mods list.

Hey everyone, I'm computer illiterate so I have no clue what I'm doing.

I'm running the Steam version of BNW, I'm trying to use mods from the workshop but they don't show up. I'm pretty sure this is because I'm still lacking the Mod button in the main menu. I've tried making it appear but all the advice I've found says I need to find "mainmenu.Lua" and edit a line. That being said I can't find it where it should be.

Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Hey everyone, I'm computer illiterate so I have no clue what I'm doing.

I'm running the Steam version of BNW, I'm trying to use mods from the workshop but they don't show up. I'm pretty sure this is because I'm still lacking the Mod button in the main menu. I've tried making it appear but all the advice I've found says I need to find "mainmenu.Lua" and edit a line. That being said I can't find it where it should be.

Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong?

First off, welcome to CFC! :band:

In the first post of this thread (Link to that post) it states AlanH has done an excellent job explaining exactly what you need to do. Try that first and if you need further assistance, then feel free to ask.

Top Bottom