ToT - Can't install

MPK

prince
3 days I've been trying to get Civ ii Test of Time to work. I feel I'm in a Maze, try something and get a dead end. I know this is an old threaded problem. But a new post might help me more than constantly reading non understandable Blaa Blaa.

I don't have a CD version, just a downloaded version. I can't remember when or how it was downloaded. I run (2 separate) windows 7 64 bit home premium laptops, both have this same problem.

I have read so much here on how to do this. Not really helping. I read Catfish post on "Test of Time Installation Guide"..... hmmmm.... I do have a simple file location system. C:\Users\Public\Game\ ... --- I put all my games here. Learned this lesson from Civ3.. avoid (x86).

Where I am at now:

I unzipped my ToT.zip
- Folder: "civII_test_of_time"

I entered this folder to find another folder and a txt Doc (.games.com.br) and a chrome HTML doc.
- Folder: "Civilization_2__The_Test_of_Time"

I entered this folder and found 5 folders (ExtentedOriginal,Fantasy,Midgard,Original,Scifi,Sound)...... Has CivII application.

Now problems: If I double click the Application to play I get a message "ICDecompressEx returned -100" ..... I can continue to setting up a game. mapsize, ...race.. leader etc. --
When I try to make the first city I get another message "CivII.exe has stopped working".... game exit and is gone.

I added the V1.1 Patch ... I tried to open and run as Administrator but got the message "...must have CivII Test of Time installed in order to install this update".

I even tried to use the TOTPPv011.2 PATCH ( hoping the NO CD patch in it would help)... but similar thing,,, "need V1.1 Patch"....

I'm not computer minded so computer abbreviations don't help a lot. I want to get back to Civ2 from Civ3. ToT seems to offer me some hope of Modding.

Where have I gone wrong? :confused:

I ran into the same problem yesterday.
I had a downloaded version too.
sadly the patcher don't seem to recognize it as Civ 2 or any civ.

thankfully I had a way out, I got two test of time discs.
You're prolly gonna have to buy a cd rom online. last I checked amazon still sold them. If you can spare 10$

I am afraid that's all I can do to help :dunno:

Seems I may have to buy a Game. Problem is it is not made anymore. So far I can't even locate even a 2nd hand Game in New Zealand. ebay and amazon are out of the question as they are in foreign countries.

(Now my normal civ2 is not working as well. was fine last time I played.)

Maybe I am stuck with just playing civ3 forever.....

EDIT: I asked the Bombay Indian across the hall from me to give it a go at fixing it. He did it in 5 minutes! :goodjob:

"wonder how long it will last"?

New Wall (problem) - I want to add the Patch v1.1

I am really trying to get "The Test of Time Patch Project" (TOTPP) by TheNameLessOne. But first I need to add Patch v1.1.
Within the Requirements section it says TOTPP is not compatible with the Patch v1.1 by Mastermind. So I am using the download posted by Thunderfall.

But every time I try to run it I get to the last step and then click "Next". Get the message-"You must have CivII Test of Time installed in order to install this update"

I do have the Game Installed. I've playing it for a couple of hours today to test it.

Q: what should the 'Compatibility' settings in the civ2.exe be set at?

------------EDIT:
I found a post similar to my problem:
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=233203

Download the following zipped registry file:
http://forums.civfanatics.com/attach...9&d=1185233370

Open the civ2tot10.reg file in NotePad and replace all 4 occurrences of D:\\Games\\Test of Time with the path of Test of Time on your computer (use double backslashes!). Then import the file into your registry.

You should now be able to apply the patch.

Q: how do I make a .reg file. Seems to only have .txt file . I saved it anyway, see what happens 2moro. Hopefully someone who understands what is going on has a few clues.....

I read Catfish post on "Test of Time Installation Guide"....
My installation guide doesn't cover half-baked pirated versions. :p It's a couple of ToTPP iterations behind and needs an update.

But every time I try to run it I get to the last step and then click "Next". Get the message-"You must have CivII Test of Time installed in order to install this update"
Two solutions to this problem (including the registry patch you found) are listed in step 3 of the installation guide you cited in the OP.

Q: what should the 'Compatibility' settings in the civ2.exe be set at?
I've never used any for any machine ranging from WinXP to Win7.

Q: how do I make a .reg file. Seems to only have .txt file . I saved it anyway, see what happens 2moro. Hopefully someone who understands what is going on has a few clues.....
A REG file is a text file with the .reg extension, so you can edit it in Notepad or any other text editor. Change the extension from TXT to REG. When you've made your edits, double click the file to install it to the registry.

Hey. Sorry for necro posting, but this is one of the few hits google has, on the particular problem. What I found out is that the TOT installer, as a "32 Bit Setup Installer", gets hang up waiting on another process; in my case something called "nvcontainer.exe". If you follow the instructions here, you will be able to find it out if it's the same for you or not. Basically if just go to Task Manager, on the details tab, right click on the process and click 'analyze wait chain'; you will find out what process is blocking the installation and close it from there so it can continue.

Top Bottom