Planet of the apes scenario

Well folks,

I was browsing through my files again and came across the Planet of the Apes modpack. Now, I wanted to make a scenario for this a long time ago but never got around to it.

I realized that I had too many ideas to make it work in one long scenario and didn't want to make folks play the entire saga. I chose to break it up into (4) scenarios that include:

Scenario #1 'NOVA': A scenario where you find Nova and free her from the apes, which on the run yourself.

Scenario #2 'OMEGA': A scenario where you find and detonate the Omega bomb to win the game.

Scenario #3 'ESCAPE'
: Find the technology and the rebuilt Liberty I (Icharus) and Escape the Planet of the Apes!

Scenario #4 'BATTLE'
: An all out battle between the humans, mutants and apes where only one can survive lead by your favorite characters.

FEATURES:

45 NEW Units!
New Terrains and Resources
New Icons!
Beautiful Opening Titles to choose from

Status: Still in production, some play testing, graphics 70%, sounds 90%, 2 scenarios 90% finished, 2 scenarios 20% finished, overall at 75%.

A custom map depicting the map shown in the original movies was drawn specifically for these scenarios to be built upon. Since the map is never shown in its entirety in any scene, several scenes had to be pieced together to get an accurate map. So the map used is authentic and from the POTA universe and will be included separately in the zip file.

This preview thread is here for everyone who will want to to learn about this upcoming new scenario, download when it is released and post their experiences.

Hey Everyone!

I just wanted to give an update on the POTA scenarios that should be available soon!

Play testing has gone really well, and I am enhancing the events files for a more exciting experience. The first scenario loosely covers the first 1968 POTA movie with an emphasis on traversing the map when playing the Astronauts. You will start with three astronauts, Dodge, Landon and of course Taylor. Discovery and saving NOVA from the apes is facilitated through the events and you have to stay alert or the apes will win. Even the humans can threaten your mission, just as in the movie.

The second scenario takes place loosely covering the time of the second movie. This is where you have to find the omega bomb and destroy it. You will need to defeat the defenses of the mutants and the apes to get to the bomb.

The third scenario plays the back story of the third POTA movie, Escape from the Planet of the Apes. This is to be played as Apes, where you are going to find the space craft, and the computer data necessary to escape. You have to avoid humans and powerful mutants to get this done, and by timeline is actually parallel to what is happening in the second scenario.

The last scenario plays the battle of the fifth movie of the series, Battle for the Planet of the Apes. Essentially, Mutants, Humans and Apes battle it out trying to rule the planet. You won't have much time to research, you will simply be at war fighting everyone.

I will have some new graphic updates that will include screenshots by the end of the week to share with everyone interested in this new set of scenarios!

Cheers! :lol:

Hey CivFanatics!

I've got more news on this set of scenarios and a screen shot:

Play testing is going well but new graphics have been added including over 45 NEW Icons:

As it turns out, I will make this as complete as possible to play and if I have time I will included alternate files to play this as a modpack if I can get it to work that way. I did not plan to update the POTA modpack but I am seeing that possibility but no promises. We are shooting for a release of this scenario package in ONE WEEK, on OCTOBER 3, 2015.

Nearly all the graphics are fully complete, sounds have yet to be fully tested and I am still working on events files to get as complete of a package as possible. Other files that are being modified include: Menu.txt, game.txt, labels.txt, rules.txt

A readme file still needs to be generated but I will wait to complete these other files first. We are about 85% finished with this project and we have some more scenarios on the way. :lol:

Thanks to all for waiting patiently and supporting my work.

Cheers!

I wish I remembered more of the plot of these movies. I haven't seen them since I was a kid (which for me is about 35 years ago).

Oh, I know what you mean. I had to watch a couple of the movies just to remember the plots so I could make the scenarios. We come a long way in special fx, but the stories are fun.

I've pushed the release date back by a week. For those who have been waiting its just going to be a bit longer. I am still working on the events and play testing. I don't want to rush this release because it will better if I give my very best. Thank you for your support and patience. Stay tuned!

I'm sorry guys. Work is getting in the way lately...I have no other excuse for going so slow on this project. I'm am so close to finishing and yet so far away when an event doesn't turn out right. I've got this planned, and it is coming together. Units and graphics look great--sounds are as expected and the scenarios just need a little spicing up with final touches--I'm just not ready to give the seal of approval so I am stepping back to October on this. Just hang in there :)

But will the Apes be so patient?

Seriously, though, take your time. Scenario design is not a job.

heheh...you're right Patine

I know, and I have to admit I'm as anxious to finish this as ever...but I do want to do it right. It's been a lot of fun when I get the chance to work on it :)

I have to get back to this one...I took some time out to review the francise so I could get the story lines correct and life intervened. I have the feeling I am getting back into Scenario mode :D

I have a new scenario that I am working on for the holidays that I keep saying I will finish, so lets see what happens this weekend. I may have something by Sunday.

Whatever you do, please don't draw anything from those wretched "remakes" and "expansions to the franchise" made more recently. They fell flat (like most remakes of older intellectual properties lately seem to in Hollywood, or maybe I'm just getting old).

Hahaha...you seem to be on the same page. This has to be done from the originals...I looked at some of the hollywood stuff nowadays and it just didn't jive. The time line is all wrong and the units didn't fit in to the story lines. I originally wanted to do 5 scenarios for the patch, but there just didn't seem to be a good fifth story to work into it "that would be fun to play"--I know when to commit to story lines and not force it. On the other hand, I was only going to do three stories when I wrote the Star Trek Generations mod and I was trying to decide between two different stories to wrap it up--I finally just included both :D

I always know what I want to do, but sometimes creativity steps in...lol! I also axe a lot of units--I look at a unit, play it, look at it again and try to see the universe I am creating as a whole--sometimes I start all over and begin again. That's happened on a few scenarios and I am always glad I did. To me, it has to feel like the world I am playing or it doesn't get released. I've got a lot of good stuff I need to finish so I will keep everyone posted.

Top Bottom