[BTS] Fictionalization IV

In that Case, Spain would have El Cid, St. Santiago, and some of the conquistadors as folk heros.

Sherlock Homes, got to get him in somewhere (english hero or leader), Im still playing the first version you posted and loving it, also the fountain of youth occured to me as an interesting wonder.:lol:

Sherlock Homes, got to get him in somewhere (english hero or leader), Im still playing the first version you posted and loving it, also the fountain of youth occured to me as an interesting wonder.:lol:

Sorry for the db post, forum lagged on me.

In that Case, Spain would have El Cid, St. Santiago, and some of the conquistadors as folk heros.

El Cid is already Spain's leader, and the Conquistador is already a Spanish UU. I need something else that's both appropriate and complimentary

Sorry for the db post, forum lagged on me.

I have Holmes in the game as a hero, but he isn't working right now. The unit model doesn't animate, and I've written a python function for him that isn't working either (he's supposed to create a Baker St. building in a city the same way FfH's gypsy wagons create gypsy camps. Supposed to, but isn't)

I had considered the Fountain of Youth, but I think it would work best as a unique improvement (again, like the ones in FfH). But considering I can't write or compile custom SDK functions to save my life, I'll have to put that idea on hold for now.

@Spain
Spain'll be really hard: before the Roman period, there were too many groups with many ethnic origins. Celtics, protoceltics, tartessians, iberians and a few minors. Besides, it was influenced (and colonized, sometimes) by phoenicians, carthaginians and greeks and we don't know much about their pre-Roman mithologies. After the Romans, there were Visigoths, Franks, Dark Ages, about a dozen states at the Moors period, Reconquista, and the formation of the Spanish National State, so things are pretty messy.

You could try Basque mythology, that seems to have Celtic roots and to be influenced by Christianism. I think people know a few things about it (try Wiki =p) and it could be a good shot.

Jose Gaspar Gasparilla, famous purported pirate known as the last of the buccaneers in florida folklore, they still have an annual festival for him, check wiki entry.

For "Pop-Culture" influences for this mod, exactly what do you use and what is your criteria?

For pop-culture, I have only one or two criteria

- It has to be popular. Some of the characters and references I use may not be mainstream, but they would definitely have at least a decent cult following.

- It has to be relevant to the timespan and place we're working with. The time span is recorded history up until the near future, and the place is Earth. So for example, I can't use anything from Star Wars since it takes place in a separate galaxy.

Other than that I'm open.

Then what about including things from any of the following:

-James Bond (more than just Bond himself)
-Metal Gear Solid
-Some wonders/treasure featured in the "National Treasure" films
-Jason Bourne Films

This is what I came up with just off the top of my head.

I have Solid Snake, Jack Bauer and Jason Bourne listed as Great Spies. You can see the list of Great People in the UnitInfos.xml file in the mod folder.

There are more than great spies in the source material. Liquid Snake could be a military hero. Plenty of the Bond villains would also fit into that catergory. CTU could be a wonder, built by Bauer, which would offer Counter-Intelligence bonuses (foriegn spies would find it more difficult to operate in your territory and would find it much harder to pull off espionage missions). The CIA unit from "The Bourne Ultimatum" could also be an intelligence wonder (but would have bonuses for all of your spies operating in foriegn territory). There is a lot more in the source material than just Great People (though CTU techs like O'Brian and Morris would make good Great Scientists and Ocelot and Big Boss from the Metal Gear games would make good Great Generals).

P.S. Perha[s Maxwell Smart could also make a great Spy? If he isn't already, though.

P.P.S. For a Spanish Folk Hero You should use El Cid, he was more of a soldier than a leader, replace him in the leadership role with King Alfonso. PM me or Post for more info on him.

I really only used El Cid as a leader because I couldn't think of a usable fictional Spanish leader. Unless someone can point me in the direction of one.

And the Legendary units aren't supposed to be individuals, they're supposed to be archetypes. So the American LU is a Gunslinger, the Greek one is a Centaur, the English one is a Knight of the Round Table.

I really only used El Cid as a leader because I couldn't think of a usable fictional Spanish leader. Unless someone can point me in the direction of one..

El Cid was a real person. His exploits and actions have been romanticized, dramitized and exaggerated over the years, but he did actually exist. Likewise, The Spanish king that I mentioned also existed, but part of his story is also shrouded in romantisized folklore. Some other leaders in the mod, like Odesseus and Romuleus/Remus, also may have existed, but their stories have been given the cloak of legend and have been turned into mythological heroes by storytellers of their time. Most mythological stories, including the ones referenced in this mod, have at least something of a base in reality; wheather that is an event or a person. What I Am trying to say is, consider your use of "fiction".

El Cid was a real person. His exploits and actions have been romanticized, dramitized and exaggerated over the years, but he did actually exist. Likewise, The Spanish king that I mentioned also existed, but part of his story is also shrouded in romantisized folklore. Some other leaders in the mod, like Odesseus and Romuleus/Remus, also may have existed, but their stories have been given the cloak of legend and have been turned into mythological heroes by storytellers of their time. Most mythological stories, including the ones referenced in this mod, have at least something of a base in reality; wheather that is an event or a person. What I Am trying to say is, consider your use of "fiction".

I apoloize if I have sounded a bit antagonizing, please forgive me.

On to the mod...
I have been thinking of some new Ideas for some new Corporations:

-Hendley Associates (from the Ryanverse): Set up by former Senator Gerald Paul Hendley (as a self-sufficient, shadow intelligence operation working outside the normal chain of command), It produces some gold and intelligence (at the cost of public order); and could also provide special spies...

-Universal Exports (from the Bond films): A business front for Her Majesty's Secret Service, It would provide lots of intelligence at the cost of gold.

-King Oil (from the Bond film "The World is not Enough"): Oil Company set up by the plotting vilianess, Electra King. Takes in Oil and gives back gold and less Oil.

-Executive Operations (from the Mercenaries videogames): Provides recruitable mercs (very powerful but very, very expensive) and some military production bonuses, eats up gold

-Tactical Solutions (from the Mercenaries videogames): Provides recruitable mercs (for the military on a budget) and some military production bonuses, eats gold

Version 2.3 of the beta is now up

Link

The biggest thing I've added are the Alliances. These are wonders that grant access to special units like Amazons, Cyclops, etc. I still can't get my python functions working though. If anyone reading this has python experience, I could use your diagnosis.

@cfkane
try adding a "python ppl needeed!" or something to the topic's title. it sounds silly, but it might help =p

Top Bottom