The Fate of Apolyton's Archived Threads

Catfish

Emperor
Just letting everyone know that Apolyton's archived threads will probably be gone by next month. The old Civ2 sub-forums contain a wealth of information about strategy and game mechanics. Much of the Great Library's content is stored there. If there's anything you want to save, go and grab it now. The Archives sub-forum can be temporarily found here. If you've got any questions, direct them to Apolyton co-owner, Robert Plomp, in this thread.

Yes, there's a link to that page in the Great Library Index #2 thread. The reason those thread links are not working is that the content is not stored on Apolyton's new server. Some of the really old archived threads are already lost, but others can still be found on the old server. Apolyton's owners have had problems migrating the archives to the new server. Due to running costs, co-owner Robert Plomp says the old server will go off-line next month.

Links in the Great Library Index point to apolyton.net. This is now the new server. Content on the old server can be accessed at mail.civilization4.net. To see if a thread still exists, edit the link and substitute the apolyton.net domain with mail.civilization4.net. For example, the Great Library link to Solo's A pattern governing supply and demand changes thread points to http://apolyton.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=66374 which redirects to http://apolyton.net/showthread.php/66374-A-pattern-governing-supply-and-demand-changes?s=, but it draws a blank because it hasn't been migrated to the new server. However, it can still be found on the old server at the following address: http://mail.civilization4.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=66374. That thread will most likely be lost forever next month.

Thanks for the warning! I am a little confused, but it seems that not even the GL is safe? I guess this is important enough to me, that I'll DL as much as possible in the next few weeks. Maybe the top 5-10 GL threads at least. If anyone wants to do this cooperatively somehow, I'm game.

Is there any chance of moving the GL here, to CfC ? It seems wrong that the War Academy should survive [which to be honest, is largely junk] while the GL goes down.

I am a little confused, but it seems that not even the GL is safe?
Not the entire GL, just those threads found in Apolyton's archives. Check the links. If they lead to blank threads, then they haven't been migrated to the new server; so try those thread addresses at mail.civilization4.net.

I don't know the exact date that the old server goes off-line, you'd have to check with Plomp.

Thanks for the warning! I am a little confused, but it seems that not even the GL is safe? I guess this is important enough to me, that I'll DL as much as possible in the next few weeks. Maybe the top 5-10 GL threads at least. If anyone wants to do this cooperatively somehow, I'm game.

Is there any chance of moving the GL here, to CfC ? It seems wrong that the War Academy should survive [which to be honest, is largely junk] while the GL goes down.

I will bring this up in staff and start a discussion there. I think it's time to update/reorganize our War Academy with the most interesting things from the GL.

I do need however some help with this. If somebody else can download everything that is important and perhaps can mail it to me (civ2gotm@gmail.com) it saves me some RL time which I really can use.

I will make this thread a sticky for now and update when I have more info.

OK, I'll help. But I do have limited time and abilities, so pls don't count on me to DL all the endangered GL threads. At the moment, I don't even know how to do it, but will give it a try.

Nice work, Catfish! I tried to get into the "Zoom to Home City..." thread (before I noticed you already got it), but couldn't. I pasted "mail.civ...." into the address, but got this message:

"An administrator is currently in the process of updating this site. Please come back later. "

So, I assume we are blocked from more DL-ing, for now. But I'm often pretty clumsy with technical stuff .... if I'm doing something obviously wrong here, pls let me know, and I'll try again.

No, it's still there. Don't click on the thread link, you'll get redirected to the new style of thread address containing the thread title. No point inserting 'mail.civilization4.net' there; it won't exist. Instead, right-click the link and select Copy Link Location/Copy Link Address/Copy Shortcut (depends on the web-browser you're using). Paste that in the address box. Replace 'apolyton.net' with 'mail.civilization4.net' in that address.

I've followed Catfish's directions, and DL'd about 10 additional GL threads. I saved them as "complete htm"s, so for each thread, I got the htm + a folder full of gifs and related stuff [is that OK?]. I guess there are approx 10 more threads I'll go for asap, and maybe 10 others I might skip.

Attachments

• Peaster GL DLs.zip
    1.1 MB · Views: 405
I have had contact with one of the admins of the apolyton site because we might need permission to show this info at CFC. The admin I contacted told me that everything should be on the new server when the old one stops. I still have no permission, but hope we can place the stuff soon at CFC.

When I have new/more info I let you all know.

The admin I contacted told me that everything should be on the new server when the old one stops.

I guess this refers to the Poly servers ? So, does this mean it is not urgent to DL more web pages ?

Also, note that many GL links actually take you to CfC threads, so there is some history of sharing both ways. But I agree that getting permission is a good idea.

I've followed Catfish's directions, and DL'd about 10 additional GL threads. I saved them as "complete htm"s, so for each thread, I got the htm + a folder full of gifs and related stuff [is that OK?].
I wouldn't worry about that. They can always be cleaned up later. However, you could've saved yourself some trouble by checking the links first. Most of those threads have already been migrated to the new server.
The admin I contacted told me that everything should be on the new server when the old one stops.
I'll believe it when I see it following Plomp's comments on hosted sites.
I still have no permission, but hope we can place the stuff soon at CFC.
The Apolyton logo and, I assume, any custom forum themes, belong to Apolyton, but the post contents are the property of the posters. The threads can be reformatted. Considering that they said everything in the archives would probably be lost, I can't imagine they'd complain if people try to save them.

I don't know the exact date that the old server goes off-line, you'd have to check with Plomp.
OK, this question has been answered. Apolyton's old server will be terminated on the 17th of December 2010. The only way to guarantee that something isn't lost is to save it yourself.

Again, if you wish to browse through Apolyton's archives, the link is here.

I've been a lurker here and at Apolyton for a long time (long enough to remember when Oedo years were news) and I was sorry to hear that their old discussion threads were consigned to the old bit-bucket in the sky. I still play the old Civs (as I suppose most people reading this forum do) and they had a lot of very good Civ2 strategy posts. Anyway, I made a quick-and-dirty mirror of the posts while they were up, so if you didn't save what you were looking for before December you should be able to find it here.

Sorry that there isn't an easy way to search the posts (maybe wait until Google spiders the pages?) Also, to navigate threads with multiple pages, you have to go back to the main thread list to select the page.

Top Bottom