While We Wait: (Almost) Anything Goes

Link to video.

It's Blizzard-cheesy, but really hard for me not to be pumped about this. Also, I was confused about the details of the backstory, but the cinematic really explains everything, so that's pretty cool.

Yeah, Blizzard always makes great cinematics. To me they always seem like they're at least a few years ahead of any competitors. The WoTLK cinematic is pure gold, probably my favorite one.

Not really, utterly ridiculous would be a large triceratops wearing a conical hat while playing the bagpipes.
Out of curiosity, anyone with the artistic ability to draw this? I might want to use it for inspiration for something, although I'm not sure what.

Out of curiosity, anyone with the artistic ability to draw this? I might want to use it for inspiration for something, although I'm not sure what.
It's one of those things you need to see before you can come to conclusions...

Sorry, closest thing I get from google is Batman and Robin at a castle playing bagpipes. So, bask in my artistic talent!

I am sorry but I must agree with Thlayli that ghis kind of censorship is a big steaming pile of horse manure. For years I have seen people in Mafia directly provide links in forum posts to games hosted in other forums such as the big Total War-themed Org, and nobody cared in the slightest.

I cannot see why this is any different.

I can see why the advertising rule exists but I agree completely with Thy and Joan. With all due respect, until there's some way to link between the two forums (and I don't see any drama here) for each other's games, it's patently absurd that those links are being censored.

I am sorry but I must agree with Thlayli that ghis kind of censorship is a big steaming pile of horse manure. For years I have seen people in Mafia directly provide links in forum posts to games hosted in other forums such as the big Total War-themed Org, and nobody cared in the slightest.

I cannot see why this is any different.

I pointed it out exactly in place in the rules where this sort of thing is specifically not allowed. There's no prohibition on putting it in your signature.

Personally, I've never frequented the Mafia forums, and I don't know what they do, but based on the rules of CFC, it is not allowed outside of relevant threads or in signatures. There's not even a gray area in the rules on this one. Various other moderators of games elsewhere have links in their signatures, and that should be more than ample advertising. Think of it this way:

If you only post once to advertise your NES, that's only one chance anyone will see it and go to it.

If you post multiple times with your ad in your signature, that's more opportunities for people to see it and go to it.

I pointed it out exactly in place in the rules where this sort of thing is specifically not allowed. There's no prohibition on putting it in your signature.

Personally, I've never frequented the Mafia forums, and I don't know what they do, but based on the rules of CFC, it is not allowed outside of relevant threads or in signatures. There's not even a gray area in the rules on this one. Various other moderators of games elsewhere have links in their signatures, and that should be more than ample advertising. Think of it this way:

If you only post once to advertise your NES, that's only one chance anyone will see it and go to it.

If you post multiple times with your ad in your signature, that's more opportunities for people to see it and go to it.

Considering that BSmith is also the moderator of the mafia forums and he is the one who removed the links in this thread, I am seriously beginning to question his capability as a fair moderator.

There were no links in the post. I only added the mod text...

Naw, utterly ridiculous would be if I were to threaten legal action over it. ;)

If this is what I think it is I would respectfully ask that you get an exact copy of what was written before jumping to conclusions.

Anyone who comes frequently to this forum might be interested to know that I have a project at that other place that just opened.

Modern world plus alien conspiracy. Should be fast-paced.

Moderator Action: Links to games on other sites can be placed in your signature, but please refrain from linking directly in posts. Thanks.

So you felt the need to remind people not to link to other forums in a post that didn't have any links to other forum instead of, say, reminding people not to advertise another forum as per forum rules?

Here we go again...

If this is what I think it is I would respectfully ask that you get an exact copy of what was written before jumping to conclusions.

Frankly, if such an oblique reference raises hackles, then it must be pretty on the mark.

Well then, I am willing to admit it was all one big and unfortunate misunderstanding this time around, but definitely a specific post from the mod would have been less unnecessarily confusing. ;)

I understand the idea of not allowing posts out of the blue that are simply adverts to other forums. That would not really be appropriate. But I think we need some flexibility here if we are going to avoid some kind of apartheid situation.

I have to agree, its ridiculous to censure long-time CFC'ers from talking about forum games that happen to be on other forums, especially in this designated OT thread. If we can talk about role playing, computer games and movies in this thread, why not forum games?

Sorry for the borderline PDMA but I really wanted to say this.

Naw, utterly ridiculous would be if I were to threaten legal action over it. ;)

Very well, we are agreed, utterly ridiculous would be a person threatening to sue a large triceratops playing the bagpipes for intellectual infringement.

Well, I suppose I have finally been affected by a...certain noticeable absence of activity in this forum, and will take the opportunity to (as obliquely as seems manageable) comment on it.

Firstly, at no point was there a hyperlink in the post of mine that caused controversy, and I strongly approve of creating some sort of embassy-like thread for discussion of Civ-related games involving members of the community that has long inhabited this forum, since such efforts have proved successful in the past:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=428360

Secondly, to requote a section of the site rules:

If you have a civilization/history-related link to advertise, you can place one thread about it in our Other Civ Related Sites forum, or you may advertise it in your signature. For people wanting to advertise other things of interest to Civ players, you must receive permission from an admin first.

The only hit from Google upon searching these words was this very thread. I apologize for not being able to find these words before I made my post. I was acting under the assumption that my post met the 'altruism' and 'free service' tests elaborated in the following

CivFanatics Forum Rules v4.1 said:
Advertising and solicitations are NOT permitted.

Posting of advertisements, chain letters, pyramid schemes, and solicitations are inappropriate on this forum. You are ONLY permitted to advertise your site in your signature or in the "Other Civ-Related Sites" forum if it's a Civ site. The exception to this rule is to inform others of sites that provide a service to benefit them. For example, posting a thread regarding a new free web space provider is acceptable providing there's nothing in it for you except the satisfaction of helping your fellow members.

given that any user taking advantage of the free service implied in the post would have increased my personal workload (as opposed to adding one or more hits to my website, as I do not own The Frontier).

Thirdly, I want to stress how important the notion of "sites that provide a service to benefit" is to this whole discussion. While there is a long history of debates as to the relationship of this forum to the rest of the website that stretch at the very least to when I joined Civfanatics, and probably longer, the fact remains that when the...certain notable absence of activity in this forum began, it was clearly not because the forum itself was removed, or as far as I can tell, because there was any substantive interference with games themselves. This speaks to a certain level of goodwill that probably still exists here, which ironically is paralleled by the goodwill that exists on The Frontier.

While undoubtedly there are issues relating to the comfort level of various members of the NES community towards Civfanatics, one of the primary vehicles for the development of the community has been #nes, which by definition is essentially a more freewheeling version of While We Wait. The relationship between #nes and the Never Ending Stories forum at Civfanatics has been relatively positive for years. NESing can exist spread across multiple locations.

Bottom Line:

It is my hope that NES mods who still feel comfortable at this website (1) alternate starting games between here and any other location they have chosen, and with the support of Civfanatics moderators, (2) an embassy thread be created here for discussion of NESes held in any location that people wish to comment on in the historic birthplace of NESing.

I believe these two steps will be useful because given various circumstances surrounding...a certain noticeable absence of activity in this forum, a serious effort towards compromise may be the best way to insure the future of NESing, and since the IOT community is already affiliated with the NES community, some level of interaction will necessarily exist for the foreseeable future, so we might as well try to be honest about it and make the most of it.

Strongly agree ^^

I think we need to avoid driving a deeper wedge.

Those who want to leave CFC already did. 'Allowing' us to post notices of games back and forth on each forum can only be good for the community IMHO. Nor are we advertising any kind of paid service (unfortunately :p). CFC loses nothing, and probably actually gains more people over time.

Top Bottom