The Touhou Mod Development Thread

Yeah... I'll probably try out the latin features name with my own Lunarian civ idea... might work better with them than Eientei.

Also, finally tried getting the Oni Clans up on Steam. Hope it worked!

You need to set it to publically viewable. In "Owner Controls" on the right-hand side in the workshop page, "Change Visibility \/" to "Public".

You need to set it to publically viewable. In "Owner Controls" on the right-hand side in the workshop page, "Change Visibility \/" to "Public".

Should be publicly viewable... I apparently had to agree to something before it was posted, so maybe that's why it wasn't showing before. But it looks like it's in the Workshop now, so now I just gotta hope the mod itself works properly... X3

EDIT: Got my brother to check it on his Steam account and it showed up, so should be fine now. :3

Got it.

Did you include instructions on how to enable the custom music, and the custom music file? I don't see it in there...

Got it.

Did you include instructions on how to enable the custom music, and the custom music file? I don't see it in there...

Hrm... I tried to include the same text file I put in for the civfanatics download, but I don't think it got uploaded since it wasn't part of the modinfo file. Not sure how to add it in...

Shouldn't you be able to put it into the mod with Add Existing Item and then just not have an onmodactivated entry for it? The download includes the SuikaDiplo and SuikaExtraDiplo files even though nothing points to them.

Hrm... maybe. I wasn't sure if, as a .txt file I'd need to load it to the VFS or something... I'll have to give it a shot and see.

Will you use the big master list files I posted, for the whole "only have to do it once" thing?

Well the whole point of me putting it up for you was so YOU could test it out to see if that was actually happening, or if I was just getting a problem from some other mod or something!

Regarding the newly added Suika mod for Steam. It seems that every text meant for her only show the code instead of actual words.
http://i.imgur.com/Lttu9e3.jpg

On the other hand, the music worked. But i guess it's because i use the old Suika mod downloaded here and followed the step on how to apply it.

Regarding the newly added Suika mod for Steam. It seems that every text meant for her only show the code instead of actual words.
http://i.imgur.com/Lttu9e3.jpg

On the other hand, the music worked. But i guess it's because i use the old Suika mod downloaded here and followed the step on how to apply it.

Ugh, I bet I botched up the text file. I tried adding some civilopedia text for Suika and rebuilt the mod without testing it... so I probably screwed something up, it doesn't load the text, and thus none of it appears. I'll have to go over it and see what I missed up, or just edit out the changes I made and go back to the working version.

As long as you've got the relevant code bits in the music files it'll work... I just gotta include the instructions for new users.

Guess I'm going to have to try and push a quick update tonight. X3

Okay, figured out the error -- I'd copy-pasted some of Huitzil's code from the Fairy Alliance mod (AGAIN), and had neglected to change one of the references from CIRNO to SUIKA, causing it to generate conflicts. So I fixed up the code and tested it, and it seems to be working properly now.

I tried using Huitzil's "all in one" audio files, but it gave me some weird behavior -- the opening and loading music was different, and Suika's sound file didn't play when I started up the mod. I'm thinking there must be something different between the existing audio files I've got and the ones Huitzil provided, so I'll have to go through the code and figure out just where those might be. For now, I just added the instructions I included earlier about how to add Suika's music to the mod, until I can figure out what the issues in the larger audio file are.

EDIT: And damn it... I accidentally wiped out all of the description text I'd written by updating. Blargh... I'll just have to fix that tomorrow night. Too tired right now... @__@

Well, it worked before, when I had the beta version of your mod. The Suika audio defines are:
Code:
    <SoundData>
      <SoundID>SND_LEADER_MUSIC_SUIKA_PEACE</SoundID>
      <Filename>SuikaPeace</Filename>
      <bDontCache/>
      <LoadType>STREAMED</LoadType>
    </SoundData>
    <SoundData>
      <SoundID>SND_LEADER_MUSIC_SUIKA_WAR</SoundID>
      <Filename>SuikaWar</Filename>
      <bDontCache/>
      <LoadType>STREAMED</LoadType>
    </SoundData>
and

Code:
 <Script2DSound>
      <ScriptID>AS2D_LEADER_MUSIC_SUIKA_PEACE</ScriptID>
      <SoundID>SND_LEADER_MUSIC_SUIKA_PEACE</SoundID>
      <SoundType>GAME_MUSIC</SoundType>
      <iMaxVolume>40</iMaxVolume>
      <iMinVolume>40</iMinVolume>
      <bIsMusic>True</bIsMusic>
    </Script2DSound>
    <Script2DSound>
      <ScriptID>AS2D_LEADER_MUSIC_SUIKA_WAR</ScriptID>
      <SoundID>SND_LEADER_MUSIC_SUIKA_WAR</SoundID>
      <SoundType>GAME_MUSIC</SoundType>
      <iMaxVolume>40</iMaxVolume>
      <iMinVolume>40</iMinVolume>
      <bIsMusic>True</bIsMusic>
    </Script2DSound>
, which are the same as everyone else, and it's still working for Eirin.

Did you change the filename? With every other filename I have it in the pattern of <filename>Eirin_Peace</filename>, but I noticed you had named your audio files SuikaPeace and SuikaWar (no underscore), so these XML files will look for them without an underscore. It might be that. Or maybe you didn't have the right Windows setting and it didn't let you change the file format I posted them in (since it doesn't let you post XML attachments on the forum I had to change them to .txt) and you have a useless AudioDefines.xml.txt that the game doesn't know how to read.

Did you change the filename? With every other filename I have it in the pattern of <filename>Eirin_Peace</filename>, but I noticed you had named your audio files SuikaPeace and SuikaWar (no underscore), so these XML files will look for them without an underscore. It might be that. Or maybe you didn't have the right Windows setting and it didn't let you change the file format I posted them in (since it doesn't let you post XML attachments on the forum I had to change them to .txt) and you have a useless AudioDefines.xml.txt that the game doesn't know how to read.

Maybe I didn't change the file type correctly, which would explain a few things. It looked like a .txt file when I downloaded it, and since it's been a while since I messed with AudioDefines I thought it was stored as a .txt file, so I just copied it over... but if it is an .xml file, then the game likely failed to load it and was forced to revert to the original audio files, which would explain why the opening and DOM music was different. I was kind of rushing at the time, which is why I ended up making so many mistakes, and I wouldn't be surprised if this was another one of them. :(

I'll experiment with it this weekend -- now that we've got a new computer, I want to play through a Civ game properly on it, and it'll be a good chance to test out the Human Village mod as well as your sound files.

I had planned to take a break after Eientei, but it seems the amount of procrastinating I am doing on finishing Eirin's dialogue is itself a break. I started thinking about what to do with Yuuka Kazami's Mugenkan civ.

Her UI is almost certainly a Flower Field (improved Polder graphic), which will provide culture, and maybe damage adjacent enemies like a Citadel does (only way less damage). So that encouraged her to play small and defensive, which is okay as an option, but this is Yuuka! Creator of the Master Spark! Most terrifying youkai in Gensokyo! So her ability needs to be somethign thematic to her that encourages war and conquest.

I had thought of playing into her ability to make things blossom, and the idea of cultivating a "garden" being something that doesn't require a lot of direct intervention, and making it so that her puppeted cities get +50% production (and perhaps a growth boost on top of that) -- she cultivates them, she doesn't really direct them. While talking about this with some people on IRC, one suggested a more active bonus that eliminates hassle from taking cities, like removing the Happiness penalty and reducing the cultural policy cost penalty for annexing a city. That one seems harder to justify as Yuuka, but it's more proactive, and there's a chance that the first ability I came up with for her might not be seen as fun becuase it's behind-the-scenes, and the ability to pick any city you like and "harvest" it from your puppet garden and make it a new active forward base might not be obviously tied into that enough.

Both abilities will probably require messing with LUA scripting, which it is high time I had to figure out anyway. And both of them can fit under the ability name "Lotus Land Sovereign" (which tickles my "ability names referencing game titles" bone). What do you think?

Her UI is almost certainly a Flower Field (improved Polder graphic), which will provide culture, and maybe damage adjacent enemies like a Citadel does (only way less damage). So that encouraged her to play small and defensive, which is okay as an option, but this is Yuuka! Creator of the Master Spark! Most terrifying youkai in Gensokyo! So her ability needs to be somethign thematic to her that encourages war and conquest.

Actually it's the opposite. In canon, Yuuka never assault people on spite. And she never really get out from the Hill of Flowers. She only interested in strong people be it Youkais or Humans. When someone enters her turf is where she will terrify people. So it makes sense that Yuuka is more defensive than offensive type.

As for the function, I agree on the replacement of Polder. The second i recommend is a UB that replaces Garden.

Actually it's the opposite. In canon, Yuuka never assault people on spite. And she never really get out from the Hill of Flowers. She only interested in strong people be it Youkais or Humans. When someone enters her turf is where she will terrify people. So it makes sense that Yuuka is more defensive than offensive type.

As for the function, I agree on the replacement of Polder. The second i recommend is a UB that replaces Garden.

Well, considering she's a PC-98 character (shady canonicity already) with a LOT of fanon, there's going to be some weight to the fanon here.

People ought to be *afraid* of Yuuka. To inspire fear in a Civ game, you gotta go offensive. Yuuka should be powerful; generally military power equated to offensive power. (Remilia already is kind of "defensive military".)

Huitzil does have a point -- it's one of the difficulties in converting Touhou to a Civ game. Most of the factions in Gensokyo are pretty non-expansionist, but Civilization is a game all about expansion and competition, so it comes down to a question of trying to find a balance between aggressive and defensive.

I could certainly see Yuuka is being a "tall" sort of civ, which stays on the defense and works towards other victory conditions (probably a culture victory, although I suppose diplomatic could work?). On the other hand, there is a point in that fanon considers Yuuka to be one of the more violent characters of the setting, and it does make a certain sense that she might consider converting the entire world to a garden could potentially suit her.

I love the Polder idea, and replacing the Garden seems rather appropriate, although one would likely have to pick its bonuses according to what victory condition you wanted her to pursue. The issue with that, though, is that then you don't have a UU, which is pretty rare, I think.

I'm not quite sure what would make a suitable trait for her, myself... I'll have to mull that over a bit.

Also... has anyone considered a Makai civ yet? The thought occurred to me earlier today, but I don't really know enough about the PC-98 games to say for sure what they'd be like, although I'd guess Shinki would be the obvious leader. The events of Mystic Square make me wonder if it would have some kind of tourism effect, although that'd have to wait until BNW came out. I suppose one could view Makai cities as being the various portals/gateways to Makai, so it'd make sense as a "tall" civ, in that regard...

Come to think of it, I wonder if the trade route/tourism effect would be interesting to incorporate into the various shrine-related civs? The whole "visiting the shrine" concept... so the Hakurei Shrine might milk trade routes and tourism for more money, while Moriya could do it for faith...?

EDIT: Also, I think I'm going to knuckle down and study the "attrition" effects in some mods... it could be useful for things like Makai's miasma, or even the carnivorous plants in the Forest of Magic. (I'm sorely tempted to see if I can make forests in the Forest of Magic cause attrition to enemies...)

The thing about the PC-98 games is, NOBODY really knows "Enough" about them to say for sure what the characters therein would be like. They didn't have the level of documentation and secondary material that the Windows-era games do. I mean, you know that Shinki is the ruler of Makai, you know it has a toxic miasma, you know that in Mystic Square they launched a demonic invasion due to a travel agency, and there's gateways to get there from Gensokyo. Add in "Byakuren was sealed there" and you pretty much know all we know.

Waiting for BNW and giving them something involving tourism does seem like a good idea though. Tourism/trade routes with civs you are at war with, maybe giving you some kind of bonus against them but not giving any/giving significantly less of the normal trade route bonuses?

Top Bottom