My First King Win.What should I know before going to Emperor ???

Subotai777

Warlord
I won on King on Giant Earth Map.I was playing Mongolia.My score is 6193 after 535 turns and 45h 17min playing.What should I know before playing Emperor ???

Hopefully you won't have to play for 500+ turns. Emperor AI have a bit more of an advantage (refer to the AI difficulty chart), but you should be ok. Also maybe standard continents would be a bit better in terms of experience

I take it that was epic speed? (Because on standard someone would have won a time victory on turn 500)

Provided that was epic speed your already ready to try Emperor. It may even be easier with the AI having a bit more gold.
If that was normal speed though, you need to focus on science more.

My recommendation is to win 10 times on King at Standard Speed before attempting Emperor at Standard Speed. I am not meaning to knock Marathon Speed mind you. Imho, it is best to master Standard Speed while developing some Strategy Fundamentals...then you can move on to Emperor+ with a much more complete toolbox.

1. No more archer early game archer wars. The t35-45 early game archer rush stops working at emperor. Unless your attacking ghandi, and even then it might not work.

2. No more wonder spam, you have to be actively trying for petra, stonehenge and the hanging gardens, the oracle is still always getable, a well as pyra and generally LTOP is as well. But staples like the taj mahal, porcelain tower, big ben are now in sketch "could get swiped at the last second mode. TOA is still gettable, but its still sketchy, especially is rammy is in your game.

3. bring six comp bows instead of four, bring six x bows instead of 4. Artillary is no longer as back breaking but still the most effective period to smash face if you can hit it first.

4. You will be behind in tech a lot longer, but you will still rocket ahead. Depending on the kind of game im playing, that can happen shortly after education and uni.

5. The A.I has money. always. This will be weird coming from king and prince, where your not looking for who will give the most, but who has more then 5 pennies to rub together. This makes early gold a million time easier to come by.

6. You have to try for a religion if you want to get one, it will not stay dominant for long, somebody will spam it away.

7. The A.I can spam units for DAYS, for DAAAAYS. youl mash there bros, and then theyle spit out a bunch the next turn, surprise attack and blitzing become warfare 101.

8. Worker steal, they don't start with one. But they will produce them earlier, and you can start swiping them around turn 40-50ish. You will still have to make your own.

9. Aaaaaaaaand the most important thing, get out 4-6 archers ASAP, or the AI will try to smash face early, if you start next to Shaka, or his buddies(atilla, ghengi, alex), its honestly better just to wipe him out or cripple him early then deal with him all game.

My recommendation is to win 10 times on King at Standard Speed before attempting Emperor at Standard Speed.

There's no need for that between King and Emperor, that is actually only a very tiny increase in difficulty, and back before BTW removed the free instant gold from trade deals was actually in some ways easier due to the AIs increased gold.

It's emperor level that needs to be mastered before moving up to Immortal as Emperor to Immortal is the second highest jump in difficulty in the game (entirely due to the AIs free starting worker on Immortal. Deity is a bigger leap due to the AIs starting settler on Deity.)

I'd advice to go straight up to the next difficulty after winning once anyway, just to directly experience the difficulty spike without diluting it with all the knowledge that one gathers by playing against lower AIs.

But especially King -> Emporer isn't really a big difference. My advice is to keep a good eye on trading opportunities and try to get used to selling as much as you can and buying as much as you need. Also, if you haven't done already, this is the time to incorporate extensive scouting and city states into your routine.

1. No more archer early game archer wars. The t35-45 early game archer rush stops working at emperor. Unless your attacking ghandi, and even then it might not work.

2. No more wonder spam, you have to be actively trying for petra, stonehenge and the hanging gardens, the oracle is still always getable, a well as pyra and generally LTOP is as well. But staples like the taj mahal, porcelain tower, big ben are now in sketch "could get swiped at the last second mode. TOA is still gettable, but its still sketchy, especially is rammy is in your game.

3. bring six comp bows instead of four, bring six x bows instead of 4. Artillary is no longer as back breaking but still the most effective period to smash face if you can hit it first.

4. You will be behind in tech a lot longer, but you will still rocket ahead. Depending on the kind of game im playing, that can happen shortly after education and uni.

5. The A.I has money. always. This will be weird coming from king and prince, where your not looking for who will give the most, but who has more then 5 pennies to rub together. This makes early gold a million time easier to come by.

6. You have to try for a religion if you want to get one, it will not stay dominant for long, somebody will spam it away.

7. The A.I can spam units for DAYS, for DAAAAYS. youl mash there bros, and then theyle spit out a bunch the next turn, surprise attack and blitzing become warfare 101.

8. Worker steal, they don't start with one. But they will produce them earlier, and you can start swiping them around turn 40-50ish. You will still have to make your own.

9. Aaaaaaaaand the most important thing, get out 4-6 archers ASAP, or the AI will try to smash face early, if you start next to Shaka, or his buddies(atilla, ghengi, alex), its honestly better just to wipe him out or cripple him early then deal with him all game.

I'd say that the biggest difference is the wonders. If you want an early wonder, you pretty much have to beeline for it and realize that you still might not even get it (unless you're going for something worthless like the Pyramids). I'd say that if you're going domination, just skip wonders altogether and try to steal theirs. Also, the AI will form alliances and gang up on you more. You'll probably need to watch out for that.

In regards to #8, ever since I started worker steal, I've never needed to produce my own workers, I still have more than I need. I only produce them when its later into the game and it only takes 1-2 turns. It's nice when you get lucky and the Barbs are holding somebody else's worker hostage and you can steal it without them knowing.

Top Bottom