language change

lord_graywolfe

Wolfman
ok i looked around and couldnt find anything pertaining to this. is there a way to change the nations language? its not a big deal but it bugs me that i cant understand what they are saying since each civ speaks in its native tounge. right now im trying france for the first time and my frence sucks so the only part i understand is the when nimoy pops up after a tech is finished lol. tell me there is an option to make them all speak english.

they say the same things but in a differnt langauge

Yeah
i knwo thsi cos i speak spansih.
a mistake: they all speak they modern versioan of said languages:p

This is an intentional game function to encourage us to become multi-lingual. Unfortunately, their pronunciation and delivery makes even words with which I am familiar difficult. It would enhance my game experience if the words were printed in phonetical English so I could learn what I am sure would be some really useful foreign phrases. Captured workers should be afforded to express their dismay and resistant workers should be chanting or wailing in their native tongue when one mouses over them.

who cars what they say? it doesnt affect gameplay. its quite cool that they all speak different languages anyway, it may appeal to a broader range of gamers, who may perhaps be flattered to hear stuff in their native language when the rest of the game is in englsh.

I think its pretty cool, but i dont really pay much attention to it. better than them just mumbling nothing like do in the sims.

Are you talking about the noise the units make when you select them? It's not like they are saying anything important.

You should be able to the files in the C:\Program Files\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Assets\Sounds\Units folder ... but I tried doing the same deal to get rid of the stupid dog barking and horn honking but didn't seem to work.

I meant erase the language files in question and replace them with the ones you want (e.g. erase FranceOrder-000.wav, make a copy of EnglishOrder-000.wav and rename it FranceOrder-000.wav)

Not sure if this works, didn't seem to eliminate the dog barking.

SenhorDaGuerra said:
its quite cool that they all speak different languages anyway, it may appeal to a broader range of gamers, who may perhaps be flattered to hear stuff in their native language when the rest of the game is in englsh.
Actually the rest of the game usually goes through a thing called "localisation" when selled in that strange other world around America, and is translated into each language. The only english thing in my game is what the British dudes say.

I don't get a word of what 95% of the Civ units say, and it doesn't bother me as long as they do what I tell them to do. Now I understand that some people may be surprised by the fact that there is actually others languages than english around. :mischief:

I just let my mind pick the closest english words that sound similar. Get some pretty funny combos at times. Don't remember which civ I was playing, but about fell out of my chair a while back when one sounded like it said "now look what you did!"

This "native language" crap should have been an option.

I managed to swap unit speech by renaming the sound files in Civilization 4\Assets\Sounds\Units directory, but it's a cumbersome solution :( That's 20 files per language that need to be changed.

its quite cool that they all speak different languages anyway, it may appeal to a broader range of gamers, who may perhaps be flattered to hear stuff in their native language when the rest of the game is in englsh.

I always enjoy playing as the Dutch because even though I grew up in Canada, I was born in The Netherlands and Dutch was my mother tongue. So it's kind of cool being able to hear it spoken in a game I'm playing.

I think it's cool flavor, just like the building and unit art styles. You're not supposed to "understand" it because they aren't delivering vital military intel or anything. Without flavor you might as well be playing as Leader013-02 of Civilization013 researching the Strength6MeleeUnits technology.

But absolutely feel free to change it. My custom modded civ has Japanese unit speech because that's a language I'm trying to learn.

The Incans sound like they are saying "I hate you" when you select them.

The Incans sound like they are saying "I hate you" when you select them.

So true. 'I HATECHU'.

I like that there`s a sound bit for every different language. I speak both French and English so I understand both, they all say the same but in their language, it`s nothing special.

Ex.: 'Oui?' = 'Yes?' 'De quoi avez vous de besoin?' = 'What do you need?'

Top Bottom