Easter Egg Collecting! (spoilers be here)

^...and I had the same event happen to myself, my neighbor and another civ all within 5-10 turns, no borders changed. Is that a bug?

I never realised the Grigori cities were actually from FFVII! I always thought that the design team & Squaresoft had got the ideas from the same place... I always did wonder if anyone else on here (except the obvious Xienwolf) played FF and had a short smirk when they renamed their first Grigori axeman with 100XP (no swordsmen??) Cloud... Just out of interest, who suggested those names to the team?

Personally, I find the Grigori city name list quickly gets rather silly.
Sure "Forgotten City" and "Sleeping Forest" in pseudo-Japanese might be fine, but "Golden Saucer" and "Rocket Village"?

You were correct, they aren't from FF VII, just the same historic Mythos as a source

Really? What Mythos is Rocket Village from, again?

Spoiler For reference... :

<City>Midgar</City>
<City>Junon</City>
<City>Kalm</City>
<City>Edge</City>
<City>Corel</City>
<City>Costa del Sol</City>
<City>Gongaga</City>
<City>Nibelheim</City>
<City>Wutai</City>
<City>Mideel</City>
<City>North Corel</City>
<City>Fort Condor</City>
<City>Bon Birejji</City>
<City>Wasuraruru To</City> (Forgotten City)
<City>Nemuri no Mori</City> (Sleeping Forest)
<City>Aishikuru Rojji</City>
<City>Daihyoga</City>
<City>Gaia no Zeppeki</City>
<City>Tatsumaki no Meikyu</City>
<City>Kita no Daikudo</City>
<City>Saboten Airando</City> (Saboten(Cactuar) Island)
<City>Misuriru Main</City>
<City>Gorudo Sosa</City> (Gold Saucer)
<City>Roketto Mura</City> (Rocket Village)
<City>Materia Dokutsu</City> (Materia Something. Reactor, I'd imagine.)
<City>Midiru</City>

You would think withh the Grigori they would be named after places/people in Xenogears other than FFVII. I think that would deal with taking down god after all.

And intra-thread necro, but I think it's too funny to not comment.

I have read close to the entire works of Tolkien and I positively refuse to believe that any character named darkanus is of his design.

So Darkanus might have been his own twisted creation.:mischief:

I googled just about all those names and didn't come up with any definate hits. I call . .. .. .. .. .. .. .. . Kael, if google doesn't know, then no one knows.

Don't google Darkanus!!!! :eek:

Orthus' line "You love life, human. I love death." in Capria's civilopedia entry is taken from al-Quaeda & other Islamist's propaganda (although in their case its is more along the lines of 'the unbeliever loves life, we loves death").

Orthus' line "You love life, human. I love death." in Capria's civilopedia entry is taken from al-Quaeda & other Islamist's propaganda (although in their case its is more along the lines of 'the unbeliever loves life, we loves death").

You would have to ask Nikis-Knight to be sure but I sincerly doubt it. There is a big difference between "is similar to" and "is taken from". Correlation is not Causation.

I've noticed that the Water I/II/III promotions' pictures are the same as the White Magic: Nature spell: 'Thorn Shield' in Spellforce 1, but this could just be coincidence.

You know, I figured that Kael simply ran out of FF7 names he liked, and thus chose Japanese names lifted from some other source to fill in the rest of the Grigiori city list. I never guessed that those names are also from FF7, just randomly changed to a different language.

Just noticed: The Ljosofar Beastmaster unit's icon is the Elvish Beserker Magic: The Gathering card.

there is a Stygian marsh in the Divine Comedy
Mammon is linked with greed by Peter Binsfeld for the seven deadly sins

I didn't see anyone mention my personal favorite: Groo the Wanderer. He's a comic book character, created as a parody of Conan the Barbarian.

there is a Stygian marsh in the Divine Comedy
Mammon is linked with greed by Peter Binsfeld for the seven deadly sins

"Stygian" is the adjective form of "Styx", i.e. the River Styx in the Hellenistic Underworld, which was supposed to be very marshy. Dante borrowed from the Greeks a lot.

Top Bottom