Azeroth

I'm glad you and others like my map.

To answer your question: When you go to the scenario editor in the worldbuilder you can add and remove the civilizations which you want to be in the map. After that you can edit the starting position circles in the map and they will have the added option of selecting a start for a specific civilization instead of just "random civ" and "random city state".

I'm not sure what you mean with "Strangely no CS appears in the according list in the CS tab in the Scenario Editor." I didn't actually make a custom scenario as in Kalimdor VS Eastern Kingdoms or something, I just added the civilizations and gave them their starting spots.

Thanks Maze, following your description I found it ! I now know why France didn't show up at the right place, it's because I removed it from the list of civilizations by mistake, had it back when finding out, but in the meantime the starting location of the tile was obviously gone, so it affected a random one to France.

Not sure I was clear, but the most important thing is that I can now play your aMAZing map the way I like it ! Thanks. :goodjob:

I really like the map, although I havn't had a chance to try it yet, but I have 3 problems:
In the pictures the lack of resources makes it look rather barren.
The flat 'zone' terrain colours also adds to this a bit.
I would rather citie-states and civs were placed in areas appropriate to Warcraft lore.
But that said it's a great map and I will probably just make whatever changes I desire myself.

Hi Maze
I was just writing to say that you have done a great jobe on this map. :goodjob:
There are some things that could be looked into if you were thinking of making another.

Including, Quel'Thalas, the Draenei Inlands and more detail in the bay were Gilneas is, there are some Island in there that could be used.

Some of the Civilizations could be placed in areas that mirror their WOW counterparts. For instance, Native Americans should be at Thunder Bluff as their culture and life style is more like that of the Tauren.
France - Silvermoon
England - Theramore Isle or Lady Jaina Proudmoore original home Kul Tiras
Germany - Undercity
Russia - Ironforge
Aztec - Any old Troll city location, such as the one in Stranglethorn Vale
USA - Orgrimmar
These are only some that I can think of that match in one way or another.

Great Job again

I really like the map, although I havn't had a chance to try it yet, but I have 3 problems:
In the pictures the lack of resources makes it look rather barren.
The flat 'zone' terrain colours also adds to this a bit.
I would rather citie-states and civs were placed in areas appropriate to Warcraft lore.
But that said it's a great map and I will probably just make whatever changes I desire myself.

I used the 'reveal all cheat' to show the whole map and for some reason the resources do not show until I actually send a unit there. The actual map has plenty of resources.
Not sure what you mean with flat zone terrain colours, do you want more diversity?
I placed the city states and civs in the places I thought were logical for both lore and balance, not sure how well I did on that.

Hi Maze
I was just writing to say that you have done a great jobe on this map. :goodjob:
There are some things that could be looked into if you were thinking of making another.

Including, Quel'Thalas, the Draenei Inlands and more detail in the bay were Gilneas is, there are some Island in there that could be used.

Some of the Civilizations could be placed in areas that mirror their WOW counterparts. For instance, Native Americans should be at Thunder Bluff as their culture and life style is more like that of the Tauren.
France - Silvermoon
England - Theramore Isle or Lady Jaina Proudmoore original home Kul Tiras
Germany - Undercity
Russia - Ironforge
Aztec - Any old Troll city location, such as the one in Stranglethorn Vale
USA - Orgrimmar
These are only some that I can think of that match in one way or another.

Great Job again

Your suggestions make sense.
I used the old Azeroth map since I've never been to the places of the expansions. I've also never heard of Gilneas so maybe I missed that or it's an expansion area.
You are probably also right about the empire locations.

Anyone is obviously free to modify the map how they like it and upload it.

I used the 'reveal all cheat' to show the whole map and for some reason the resources do not show until I actually send a unit there. The actual map has plenty of resources.
Not sure what you mean with flat zone terrain colours, do you want more diversity?
I placed the city states and civs in the places I thought were logical for both lore and balance, not sure how well I did on that.

Most of the zones use only one terrain type (snow, grass, desert), which is understandable given WoWs zone colouring, but it looks kind of bland in some areas (which is also attributed to the lack of resources, and possibly the lack of cities and improvements).
Also I just noticed silverpine has no trees.
Your city / civ placement is fine but I probably would have considered placing cities in:
Zul Gurub
Black Rock Mountain
A proper civ in Ironforge
Stromguard
City-State at Dalaran
City-State at Aerie peak
City-State in Gilneas
A Civ at mount Hyjal
City-State at Dire Maul
Something at Ahn Quiraj

But those are my personal tastes, which are tailored more to representing the whole history of Warcraft and not just WoW.

And don't get the idea I hate this map, I love this map.

Most of the zones use only one terrain type (snow, grass, desert), which is understandable given WoWs zone colouring, but it looks kind of bland in some areas (which is also attributed to the lack of resources, and possibly the lack of cities and improvements).
Also I just noticed silverpine has no trees.
Your city / civ placement is fine but I probably would have considered placing cities in:
Zul Gurub
Black Rock Mountain
A proper civ in Ironforge
Stromguard
City-State at Dalaran
City-State at Aerie peak
City-State in Gilneas
A Civ at mount Hyjal
City-State at Dire Maul
Something at Ahn Quiraj

But those are my personal tastes, which are tailored more to representing the whole history of Warcraft and not just WoW.

And don't get the idea I hate this map, I love this map.

Ah, well I don't think I would change the terrain much even if it does look boring in some areas.
Oops, looks like I forgot to place trees in Silverpine in the smaller version of the map...
In the larger version I don't think it's a good idea to place a civ at Hyjal since that area is far too defensive and has only 2 exits. And in the smaller version the civ might quickly get cornered by the civ right next to it.
Everything else you say makes sense I think. When I am no longer bored with Civ V (shame, already bored) I will probably update the maps some more.

Good job on this. Is this a map for the old "World" or the new one after the cataclysm?

Good job on this. Is this a map for the old "World" or the new one after the cataclysm?

Revealed Pre-Cataclysm Version, basically.

I mean, we don't really have 100% of the information for Cata yet, so it'd be hard to make an accurate Cata Map. :p

Worth noting, btw... another sort of "secondary" use for the World builder...

I have an old world I created for D&D (pencil and paper version) years ago that I've been putting into World Builder with the intention of then copying it over to GiMP and creating a full-world hex map that I can print out and use for highly accurate world mapping in my game campaign.

Funny how that works out.

Everything else you say makes sense I think. When I am no longer bored with Civ V (shame, already bored) I will probably update the maps some more.

Great, great, great map, Maze.

10/10

Would you be okay with my using this as a template of sorts to make Cata (a reasonable facsimile of the latter, given the lack of lava tiles) version of the Azeroth map? Ideally, I'd like to at least add Gilneas, Tol Barad, Kezan, Silvermoon City (and surrounding area), and the Exodar (and surrounding islands). If there's space Northrend would be included, though that could probably be its own map.

Hey Maze

I like your map, and i have a question: Can i use your pictures you postet in this thread? I wanted to write a news about the map on the german page www.gamersglobal.de, and I dont find other screenshots which I could use. If my english is to bad, im sorry, im not the best in my english class :D

Rikum

Maze, amazing job. Seriously, it play fantastically as well.

I believe I'm going to try modding this (with your permission of course), and try to create civs for the 10 major pre-Cata (or perhaps just the 8 major 'vanilla') races to go along with it. I've honestly never tried anything like that before, but such is your map's inspiration.

Keep rocking.

Hey Maze

I like your map, and i have a question: Can i use your pictures you postet in this thread? I wanted to write a news about the map on the german page www.gamersglobal.de, and I dont find other screenshots which I could use. If my english is to bad, im sorry, im not the best in my english class :D

Rikum

http://www.gamersglobal.de/news/29279/civilization-5-azeroth-als-spielkarte "Zugriff verweigert" :confused:.

Oh, noticed it from twitter (civgame), http://www.pcgamer.com/2010/11/04/fan-made-map-brings-world-of-warcraft-to-civilization-v/.

Great, great, great map, Maze.

10/10

Would you be okay with my using this as a template of sorts to make Cata (a reasonable facsimile of the latter, given the lack of lava tiles) version of the Azeroth map? Ideally, I'd like to at least add Gilneas, Tol Barad, Kezan, Silvermoon City (and surrounding area), and the Exodar (and surrounding islands). If there's space Northrend would be included, though that could probably be its own map.

Yes, you and everyone else can modify it as much as you want and release it. I doubt Northrend will fit in there though.

Hey Maze

Rikum

Yes, thank you, but directly linking to the screenshots may cause photobucket to come up with "too much bandwith has been used for these images" or something, I'm not sure if photobucket still has a data limit to people viewing someone's images.

Ah, this made my day :)

Ah, this made my day :)

I guess your day is now even better :D.
You are on the main page, and there are several websites more linking to here :D.

Because i'm not only moderator here, i've created a copy thread of this one here and put you also here on the main page. I hope you don't mind it :D.

I guess your day is now even better :D.
You are on the main page, and there are several websites more linking to here :D.

Because i'm not only moderator here, i've created a copy thread of this one here and put you also here on the main page. I hope you don't mind it :D.

Thank you very much! I did not expect this at all :eek:

As a huge fan of the WarCraft series, I'm looking forward to hitting this map next after the game I am playing now. I'm most likely going to be using the random start maps, but it definitely looks like fun. Great job on the map.

-Mark

Top Bottom