SL Wiki Upload List

You need to restart ToT for the changes to take effect.
Obviously :)
Make sure you've got the latest WotR_Setup.bat file. I think I changed the directory structure late-2008.
Check!
What's your ToT installation path? Is the WotR folder located inside your Test of Time folder?
C:\Civilization II\Civilization II - Test Of Time\War of the Ring
Are you using Windows Vista or 7? If so, what are your User Account Control settings (Control Panel → User Accounts → Change User Account Control settings)?
Vista. My account is Admin.
Manual method. Inside your WotR folder you should have another folder called Tiles. It should contain a backup of the original: tiles_bak.dll, date stamp 20/5/1999. Rename it tiles.dll and copy it to the main Test of Time folder.
Tried this one and it still didn't work. :confused:

Obviously :)
Sorry, had to ask. :D

Vista. My account is Admin.
I'm not that familiar with Vista's UAC. I think it's either on or off. If it's on, it will screw with batch files and installers whether you're an admin or not. Even running the file as an administrator doesn't always work. I use Win7. It has four levels of UAC, ranging from off to always notify. I have it turned off completely to be sure and let Comodo Firewall's Defence+ handle unauthorised file execution. Less grief.

Tried this one and it still didn't work. :confused:
Are you sure tiles_bak.dll is the right file? It should be 1.33 MB, not 1.27 MB and have a date stamp of 20/5/1999. The batch file backs up whatever is in the main ToT folder (one level up) at the time of installation. Once the file is copied, it will never be overwritten. However, if something (eg, UAC) blocked the back-up procedure the first time it was run, and no back-up was created, running it successfully a second time would result in WotR's custom file being backed up. I'll temporarily (because it's 1 MB) attach the original here.

Sorry, had to ask. :D

I'm not that familiar with Vista's UAC. I think it's either on or off. If it's on, it will screw with batch files and installers whether you're an admin or not. Even running the file as an administrator doesn't always work. I use Win7. It has four levels of UAC, ranging from off to always notify. I have it turned off completely to be sure and let Comodo Firewall's Defence+ handle unauthorised file execution. Less grief.
I guess I'll have mine set to the opposite, though I've never had problems with bat-files.
Are you sure tiles_bak.dll is the right file? It should be 1.33 MB, not 1.27 MB and have a date stamp of 20/5/1999. The batch file backs up whatever is in the main ToT folder (one level up) at the time of installation. Once the file is copied, it will never be overwritten. However, if something (eg, UAC) blocked the back-up procedure the first time it was run, and no back-up was created, running it successfully a second time would result in WotR's custom file being backed up. I'll temporarily (because it's 1 MB) attach the original here.
This was of course the problem. I guess somewhere down the lien I upgraded the scenario and used the bat-file to install the tiles again, thus backing up the wrong file. Your attachment fixed all my problems. Thanks for all the help, Catfish! :goodjob:

I skipped IPaddressblacklist for now. Let's see how the new captchas work.

TitleBlacklist is working like a charm at preventing actual spammy articles, but I'm still banning about 10 fake accounts a day. It's tolerable, but it's usually better to automate eternal vigilance.

(Having inactive spammer accounts around is a bad idea for similar reasons to why having enemy submarines around is a bad idea. Sooner or later they surface.:D )

1. Can we toughen up the registration captcha somehow?

2. Would you want to try IPaddressblacklist?

3. All the spam accounts so far have 7- and 8-letter usernames. It may be overly broad, but would it be ok if I configured TitleBlacklist to block new registrations with 8-letter usernames for now?

4. Spammers might be too sophisticated for it these days, but blocking blank user agents with .htaccess seems like a good idea.

Thoughts?

hmmmm, yes on 1, 2, 4. I'll see if I can do it tonight. If not tonight, tomorrow night.

I say no on 3. I don't want to block out someone. Let me see if I can turn the others on and we'll go from there.

Sound good?

I guess I'll have mine set to the opposite, though I've never had problems with bat-files.
With Win7, UAC on default, the script's copy command would be denied access to the parent directory when I first tested it. Running the batch file as an administrator would result in nothing at all. It would work perfectly when I switched UAC off. That was a few years ago. Back then it was repeatable; tried it now with UAC on default and I can't reproduce the results. Oh well. There's a warning in the Readme file anyway.

@Harry:

Just noticed your signature. :D You may have to tighten it up to Civ2 scenarios. ;)

I know. We have to stop slacking and practice. We have a new king in town.

TitleBlacklist is working like a charm at preventing actual spammy articles, but I'm still banning about 10 fake accounts a day. It's tolerable, but it's usually better to automate eternal vigilance.

(Having inactive spammer accounts around is a bad idea for similar reasons to why having enemy submarines around is a bad idea. Sooner or later they surface.:D )

1. Can we toughen up the registration captcha somehow?

2. Would you want to try IPaddressblacklist?

4. Spammers might be too sophisticated for it these days, but blocking blank user agents with .htaccess seems like a good idea.

Thoughts?

Leo, I think I've reached the end of my technical expertise. I saw UNIX commands under the IPaddressblacklist page and my brain melted. Could you give it a go? Email me and we can exchange the proper info.

Love the signature Harry. Surely you mean civ2 MGE. Any other version like that stoopid ToT-CtP thingy just don't cut it ;)

The thing that really gets me about that guy is his rudeness and certainty, whether it's sincere or not. Why not accept help or at least politely decline? He just comes off as a jerk. There's every opportunity and a wealth of good reasons to cooperate for him and our group, but he just decided to throw it out the window.

The thing that really gets me about that guy is his rudeness and certainty, whether it's sincere or not. Why not accept help or at least politely decline? He just comes off as a jerk. There's every opportunity and a wealth of good reasons to cooperate for him and our group, but he just decided to throw it out the window.

:confused: I just don't get it, but as it seems to be funny, I wouldn't mind an explanation... :D

:confused: who is that about?

Just a guy who's proud of his creation and is crushed to learn that there's an entire community that's ten years ahead of him. This would have been way more fun on Poly, but we must learn to adapt to the customs of our new home. :assimilate:
He's 100% sure of himself and not even curious. Not worth the time...

Back to the wiki: I finished the Tips section. I used the offline tips uploaded by St Leo many years ago as my source. There are a few changes: The Barbarian Paper and the two Advance Slot Properties articles have been updated to the latest versions (same as CoC), and I've omitted DarthVeda's @Civilize2/@Leaders2 article; it simply contains too many errors. It can be found on the CoC anyway. Will check through them all later. Right now CFC's server is crawling - back-up time, I think. You can stick wiki tables where the sun don't shine.

Now I think I've got a few scenarios to convert...

Only sad, getting offered very high quality work for free and brushing it off like that.

Btw Catfish, I just found your graphic mod for ToT, they look amazing! Maybe ToT will be fun to play with these!(Dark graphics always made me depressed after a while.)

Edit: On your page there are screenshots of the Midgard scenario with a graphic mod, is that available for download anywhere?

Does anyone know if there exists an update of the Sci-Fi scenario graphics?

Top Bottom