Volunteer Army is Incredibly Powerful

As I see it, the Foreign Legion exists in Freedom less as an 'emergency unit' or as an option to play a victory that runs counter to the ideology.

Now, just to be clear, the Foreign Legion gains a combat bonus in Foreign Lands, correct? Not Enemy Lands? So the FL gets the bonus in an ally's territory, correct? If so then the purpose of the Foreign Legion/Volunteer Army policy exists as a means to actively defend an ally, as well as a spearhead of sorts to lessen the threat of other rival civilizations.

Order's still pretty powerful for culture. +34% tourism to other Order Civ's is excellent, since the A.I usually picks Order themselves, and +34% tourism to less happy Civs is amazing. +25% science from factories makes rushing them all the more beneficial.

But yeah, Volunteer army is great, especially if you never bothered to build up a legitimate army. Of course, getting them totally free helps too.

I think the volunteer army in this historic way, that a democratic nation summons it's forces to fight a foreign warmonger thats threatening world peace. I think it's pretty cool that way, even Freedom empires have a bite in them.

I still think there should've been achievements for doing the "wrong" victory with each Ideology.

Eastern Bloc Party - Win a Diplomatic victory with Order.
Freedom Is The Only Way, Yeah! - Win a Domination victory with Freedom
It Appears We Have Missed The Enemy Base - Win a Science victory with Autocracy.

Thank you for the chuckle :)
I agree, too!

In fact, I had chose the trait to save money, assuming it was the same as the previous one that gave no maintenance on a number of existing units, and it did nothing because I felt bad about disbanding such powerful units, and still didn't make any money off it LOL.

... Why didn't you disband some of your less-powerful units that still required an upkeep instead? You'd still have been ahead in terms of your military, with a lower cost...

is that the freedom trait that gives you 6 foreign legion and covers the cost? OP. Considering it would take probably 5 turns each to build those, that's the equivalent of getting a free wonder for what is otherwise a (correct me if i'm wrong) second tier trait.

In fact, I had chose the trait to save money, assuming it was the same as the previous one that gave no maintenance on a number of existing units, and it did nothing because I felt bad about disbanding such powerful units, and still didn't make any money off it LOL.

Wait actually that makes me wonder about the mechanics of the policy. Does it, effectively speaking, make any six units maintenance free and then gives you six Foreign Legions? Or does the maintenance free part only apply to the FLs? Like, if you adopt the tenet, then immediately delete the FLs, are your six existing Landships then maintenance free, or do you end up paying the exact same GPT for unit maintenance?

This is assuming things haven't changed from the (X number of units regardless of unit type costs Y amount, increasing vaguely exponentially) formula of G+K.

It would be a great tenet for those very passive early games that turn aggressive late. The only thing that's odd about it is the units are Foreign Legion, which get bonuses in enemy lands. If I am on a conquering plan, I already have plenty of units, but if I'm not I just need something to keep the peace at home. So it can be conditionally very powerful, but it won't often decide games, just because it comes so late and is in the Freedom ideology.

I used it basically to replenish losses taken attacking Venice.

Yes, the units are strong but I still don't think it's as absurdly over the top as Convert the Heathen (as much as I go on about it). You only get those Foreign Legions once.

If you have a little four-city tradition empire, I guess this is a big deal, but frankly if you're sprawling at all, you should be able to poop infantry without much hassle at all.

I've used it in a couple of games recently. Both times it worked out quite well. My last game was as Brazil and as someone mentioned, they upgrade into Pracinhas, which later upgrade into Mechanized Infantry that get points toward Golden Ages with each enemy killed. Right before I got the Army, I was super weak militarily due to spending so much production on Culture stuff, and it really catapulted me into respectability, especially once I started upgrading them.

I`m surprised no one has quoted this yet, but there`s a saying in life:

`1 volunteer is worth 10 conscripts.`

I've used it in a couple of games recently. Both times it worked out quite well. My last game was as Brazil and as someone mentioned, they upgrade into Pracinhas, which later upgrade into Mechanized Infantry that get points toward Golden Ages with each enemy killed. Right before I got the Army, I was super weak militarily due to spending so much production on Culture stuff, and it really catapulted me into respectability, especially once I started upgrading them.

I remember doing something similar.. I was a bit upset though because pathfinders were attacking my pracinhas and also because pracinhas couldn't upgrade to XCOM.

When I go Freedom, I almost never pick that perk honestly because I hard build enough infantry/tanks anyway unless I have a really really bit culture output and I can churn out a SP is less than 8 turns

People think it's OP but I think it's actually perfect why?

Because that's it. you onyl Get 6, you lose those 6 and you will never get them back, you can't build them (as far as I know) and you are stuck with the ones you do get. So if you plan poorly, those guys will not last long.

And they are weaker than their contemporary units, Great War Infantry (42 combat strength vs. 50), and that gap is only made up when fighting in foreign lands (42 + 20% = 50.4 CS).

Yep. There's a limited window in which you have use for this. Basically, when you get Freedom, if you're at war and need a boost, you pick this, but if not, a different tenet will serve you better. No use wasting a slot for a one-shot boost that will quickly become obsolete.

Yeah, just because Freedom is not geared towards domination victory doesn't mean that it can't have any tenets that strengthen the military. Arsenal of Democracy also encourages building or buying units in order to gift to city-state allies, possibly in tandem with conquest.

As to the quickly obsolete point, when those Foreign Legions are upgraded to Infantry, they retain the Foreign Lands bonus. So tech up to Plastics (which you are probably doing as quickly as possible anyway, for Labs) and go stomp your neighbors.

Top Bottom