Quotes from AI that we can't make

brewgod

Prince
Hello Fellow Die Hard Civ 5 Fans:

Is it just me and have not yet seen these options to communicate with to the AI or does the AI just have many more options than we do. Example...Austria was trailing most the game with it's 20+ cities. Theresa says to me "I have finally caught up to you and now I have the advantage" and decides to declare war on me. Exact wording might be off but I have never come across this for me to use. This is just one example that come s to mind.

Have you guys notice this too?

Brew God

Hello Fellow Die Hard Civ 5 Fans:

Is it just me and have not yet seen these options to communicate with to the AI or does the AI just have many more options than we do. Example...Austria was trailing most the game with it's 20+ cities. Theresa says to me "I have finally caught up to you and now I have the advantage" and decides to declare war on me. Exact wording might be off but I have never come across this for me to use. This is just one example that come s to mind.

Have you guys notice this too?

Brew God

I notice this a lot. It has always bugged me. And it seems the Devs really don`t care to give us these options. I suppose it`s because these don`t actually do anything to the AI. And I`m sure people will say we don`t need it.

But I would`ve loved to be able to say things like, "Now how do like it when you`re losing?" or "You started the war first, I was peaceful." I`d love to say things like, "You denoiunced me first, why are you so angry?" or, "Didn`t I tell you not to put cities near mine?"

But it`ll take an enterprising Dev that will be brave enough to add flavour speech for the Player to the AI. For once I`d like to see Devs do something really different than playing boringly safe like with Beyond Earth which is really boring with its Leaders. I think it`s a long rope to haul on.

I just yell at the screen . . . Isn't that what everyone does?

EDIT: Seriously, though, players are often confused or annoyed by dialogue decisions that don't do anything. There's nothing "brave" about putting in a bunch of meaningless menus of canned responses. There are tons of adventure and RPG games with that sort of thing.

Yeah I'd prefer to have something like:

*enemy lost a couple of cities already and would like peace* "I think you've made your point. Provoking you was a big mistake." Instead, if an AI is losing and you go and talk and he's like "come to beg for mercy?"

*if bribed to attack you and it backfired* "You know, I didn't really want this war anyway.."

*the immediate 10 turns following a devastating loss* "We are broken already. Come to rub it in?"

or you know, something like that. I really really like it when you go to a leader 3-4 times in quick succession and he says "you sure do like talking to me"

I like it when they comment on third party relationships, there's a different type of response for every love-hate combination:

if you love someone they love, they're happy that a makeshift alliance is in the works etc
if you love someone they hate, they're gonna be mad like don't get too close
if you hate someone they hate, they commend you
if you hate someone they love they either remind you they worked together in the past and it worked out well, or they say something like "anyone you don't get along with is likely worth getting along with"

I just hate it when the AI gets really chatty, especially early on in deity when they're mostly right, especially if it's Alex.

Another one is when you mass your troops in their borders, the AI can confront you, at which point you have only two choices:
- Declare war (during their turn so that they can attack first)
- Promise that you will not attack them, and you'll get diplo penalty if you attack them later anyways.

I think this is quite a powerful action to do, but I don't see being able to do that to an AI.

Another one is when you mass your troops in their borders, the AI can confront you, at which point you have only two choices:
- Promise that you will not attack them, and you'll get diplo penalty if you attack them later anyways.

I think this is quite a powerful action to do, but I don't see being able to do that to an AI.

I've gotten away with the second choice many times in emperor.

Yea. Why can`t we warn the AI not to build up its troop movements on or borders?

One other thing that bothers me is the period when we first meet a leader. The Leader says `hello` or whatever, but you can`t reply anything at all. In Civ4, you could at least say, "Let there be peace in our time!" You can`t even say `goodbye`.

It just seems rude to simply click away without acknowledging anything to the AI leader like you could in Civ4. Sits ill with me, I`m not the kind of guy to slam the phone down without saying `Goodbye`. There should be a basic politeness when dealing with Heads of State.

But it`ll take an enterprising Dev that will be brave enough to add flavour speech for the Player to the AI. For once I`d like to see Devs do something really different than playing boringly safe like with Beyond Earth which is really boring with its Leaders. I think it`s a long rope to haul on.

"'Brave' enough to add flavor speech" seemed like rather unusual wording to me too. What's so scary about adding a bunch of lines?

It just seems rude to simply click away without acknowledging anything to the AI leader like you could in Civ4. Sits ill with me, I`m not the kind of guy to slam the phone down without saying `Goodbye`. There should be a basic politeness when dealing with Heads of State.

You don't actually "click away" from the leaders because you're not actually (or pretend) communicating with them over a computer. The idea is that your leader is communicating with the other leaders in person, probably with a lengthy conversation. The game cannot properly simulate that so, instead, it leaves out details so you can use your imagination to fill them in.

Be brave enough to use your imagination when playing Civilization. :)

The diplomacy system needs the most work. SMAC's diplo was much better IMO. In SMAC, the dialogue had more impact on the game and flowed better. I'd definitely like to see more meaningful dialogue that impacts the game and more treaty options.

You don't actually "click away" from the leaders because you're not actually (or pretend) communicating with them over a computer. The idea is that your leader is communicating with the other leaders in person, probably with a lengthy conversation. The game cannot properly simulate that so, instead, it leaves out details so you can use your imagination to fill them in.

I think it can better simulate that aka Civ 4.

Playing a game at the moment on Prince...which I am finding to be just as easy as Warlord to my surprise....Alex is expanding more and more across the water to my borders wedged between Rome and getting closer to me. I keep telling him to stop settling next to me or close to my borders and he says....Not a Chance.

I wish we could have the choice of "If you settle your next city any closer to my borders you will pay for it" or "I will Declare War and take out your Capitol". A more direct responses to the AI is what I would like to have and that the AI response is realistic not just some bogus reply.

Brew God

I just hate it when the AI gets really chatty, especially early on in deity when they're mostly right, especially if it's Alex.

"Oh how's my favorite city-state?"

Ironic considering he was effectively rendered as a city-state by Monty in my last game.

Top Bottom