Resource icon

The Nobles' Club Bullpen: Second Cycle

As you can see in the first message, here's the tentative schedule:
  • 75: De Gaulle (Cha/Ind) May 27
  • 76: Charlemagne (Imp/Pro) June 10
  • 77: Hammurabi (Agg/Org) June 24
If anybody wants to suggest a map they'd like, feel free. The only suggestion I recall so far is for a Fantasy Realm map with Charlemagne, but if Charlie is somebody's favourite for a more normal map, we can push Fantasy Realm later with one of the unplayed leaders.

Since this series is mean for teaching Nobles, would it be appropriate sometime for a map where on of the options turned on is Aggressive Barbarians (and ask people not to go for Great Wall)? If I did that, of course people could turn it off, and I'd give instructions in the first post. We'd also need to post advice on how to deal with the situation. Would a PRO leader be appropriate? After Charlie we have Gilgamesh (Cre/Pro), Mao Zedong (Exp/Pro), Qin Shi Huang (Ind/Pro), Tokugawa (Agg/Pro), and Wang Kon (Fin/Pro). Alternatively we could pick someone with an axeman, spearman, chariot, or archer UU; I'd make sure copper or horses were nearby, as I usually do with resource-dependend UUs. Hatty's war chariots would be pretty good.

Maybe a Less common MapScript again, like Ice Age, Lakes, or Oasis. The last 2 are ones like Inland Sea where you might have to drop the size/add civs i think. Or do something special, recently i had a mess about game where i generated a normal map and then replaced all non-resource plains tiles not in a starting location with peaks. It created a map with lots of choke points for some fun with Raging Barbs + Aggressive civs + all Warmongers + only Conquest/Dom Victory :)

I like Habitus,s idea for a game with more choke points,I usually play small map scripts where choke points are more common,it makes building and defending forts alot of fun.Maybe a tinkered with tectonics map might work as you have lots of mountain ranges to begin with.

If you want choke points, then try the Erebus mapscript (formerly called Creation: it should be in the downloads section under that name). It was written for FfH II and has many isolated mountain valleys linked by (infrequent) passes.

If you want choke points, then try the Erebus mapscript (formerly called Creation: it should be in the downloads section under that name). It was written for FfH II and has many isolated mountain valleys linked by (infrequent) passes.

I almost suggested that actually,I love FFH2,but im not sure it would create the right "feel" for a BTS game though.Id be building forts in every pass to repel the imaginary hordes of pyre zombies from Paris:crazyeye:

I feel fairly confident about being able to figure out how many civs to add to a Lakes or Oasis map -- we did Oasis a while back and found it very difficult because a couple of civs expanded too fast, but that was before I was using my map analysis software regularly. However if a Standard map with one of those requires more than a few extra civs, as we had for Pericles, maybe I need to shift to the next smaller size.

With a "block the passes" map we should decide on a leader like I asked in message 263.

This appears to be the Creation map thread. I'll download the script and see how good it looks for regular BtS, since that's an FfH2 thread.

@dalamb.In post 263 you have Hammurabi following charlie,Bowmen for Block the passes maybe?or Wang Kon with his PRO archers and Hwacha UU.To create choke points you dont have to use just mountain ranges,1 tile land bridges also work.To add those it may just be a case of enlarging a fresh water lake or adding a bit more ocean.Pangea with a natural shoreline seems to create some possibilities for that kind of map.:goodjob:btw,Looking forward to the next NC game with De Gaulle.

I almost suggested that actually,I love FFH2,but im not sure it would create the right "feel" for a BTS game though.Id be building forts in every pass to repel the imaginary hordes of pyre zombies from Paris:crazyeye:
Yes, I know. The terrain in Creation/Erebus is obviously artificial, but it does provide barriers.

As for Pyre Zombies from Paris, I think you mean Mimics. The Balseraphs speak French, the Sheaim speak Urdu (?), an Indian dialect. :D It's in the XML.

NC 75 De Gaulle is up. It's Medium and Small, which I'm not familiar with; if anybody wants to summarize what it's like, please do.

I've started to record what maps we use in my spreadsheet. A lot of the early maps don't list the map type in the original post, so we've only got complete data since #30, with odds and ends before that. Eventually I'll program a list that counts how many of each we've done; this is the 2nd Medium-and-small.

Medium and Small is like Continents but only generates Medium and Small ones iirc

It's like Continents but more broken up. Generates a lot of straight coasts IIRC.

Not in Worldbuilder saves, the Map types = nam of Worldbuilder save then.

Not in Worldbuilder saves, the Map types = nam of Worldbuilder save then.
Aaarrgh! True! My bad. I never used WB saves before, but I've noticed what you mention in the games posted here, and I just forgot about it replying. Sorry about that. :)
(btw, in facts I was mostly wondering how come that you guys didn't think about it)
Greetings,
yatta.

Part of the reason for delaying NC 76 (Charlemagne) is trying to figure out which map type to use. The current policy is to have some reasonable mix of "normal" with "unusual" map types. The two most recent suggestions for "unusual" map types are Fantasy Realm and Creation.

I think the main feature of FR is random placement of resource types: that is, similar amounts of resources but placed in unusual terrain, e.g. bananas on tundra.

To get an impression of what Creation is like, I generated seven maps and ran them through my "count useful land tiles" scripts. For the Standard option maps are 52x52 and mostly land. There's no map wrap. There are usually 2-3 continents, sometimes navigable pre-astronomy and sometimes not. On one of the maps, an AI was isolated on a small continent. However, lots of land is unusable: there are a heck of a lot of mountains. This means three things:
  1. There are a lot of defensive choke points. It should be easier than on many maps to protect yourself from invasions and block off barbarians.
  2. Lots of otherwise nice sites will have mountains in their BFC.
  3. You're pretty much required to go to war to get the amounts of land you're used to.
It seems to me that means PRO might actually be a reasonable trait for this map type -- maybe even IMP too, to claim land a bit faster and get GGs faster if you're playing defensively. So maybe Charly is a good leader for this map type -- but I'm not convinced I've analysed the situation correctly.

Any opinions on which type to use for Charlemagne? I'm currently somewhat inclined towards Creation, being rather unhappy about the recent Fantasy Realm BOTM. I'd especially like to hear from those who have used Creation often enough to be able to guide us on what it's really like to play. I'd also appreciate comments from anybody who likes maps where you have limited land to expand into peacefully; I get the impression a lot of people don't like such maps. But maybe Nobles need a chance to try out such situations once in a while?

Was going to test out Creation and forgot all about it, lately for UR i've been using Planet Generator as with the options you can get a very wide range of map types. The problem is cause of the large amount of options you have to play around alot to get the type of maps you want to generate :)

I'd vote Creation then purely cause not used it before :)

Top Bottom