New Player Question

jfp3

Chieftain
....just bought the game finally on sale at Gamers Gate last weekend.

I have played older Civ games long ago and remember the following happening to me (just don't remember the cure):

I am playing the Dutch and have a city after some 100+ turns at population. There is a small Spanish city next to me with only 4 pop, while I have 11 at this point. All of a sudden they have encroached on a couple of my city tiles! They've been thrown over to the Spanish side. How in the world can this happen if my city is so much bigger? I think it should have been the other way around eh?

Any help with this dilemma would be most appreciated.

Thanks and Game On!

It's not about colony size, it's about culture. If they are producing more liberty bells than you they will expand faster. Employ more statesmen so you can outproduce them.

- or better still send a couple of dragoons over there to sort them out.

Thanks Dalgo,

But I was under the impression that throwing a Statesman in the Town Hall simply caused more problems with the King if you do so early on in the game. Is it good to utilize a Statesman as soon as you possibly can in most cases?

Yeah, it's a balancing act. Too many liberty bells and the king penalises you. Too few and you miss out on a lot of really good FF. I prefer to produce bells from the start myself. By the time I have to face the REF I am so strong that numbers don't matter. They land, I wipe them out. etc etc

Mind you - I haven't won every game :)

I have started to produce LBs from near the start now where possible. Its good for 2 reasons: territory if you're close to another Euro and want to defend your own/steal there territory; and FFs. I find that a little while into the game the AI starts churning out LBs so you will get left behind in FFs if you dont yourself. In Vanilla i normally prod LBs after building dock/stock/warehouse as needed to get to a couple early FFs - Minuit and one other, the ones that make crossing the atlantic only 1 turn and Units on the Docks -25% - then . Now I play AOD tho so dont race to the early ones so much and just generate in the TH.

Edit:
N.B. I haven't won any games, tho did miss out on one independance victory by a few years!

You don't strictly have to produce LBs to get FFs -- if you develop high-production cities and have them crank out Political Points, it gets you FFs without triggering REF increases. I am a coward who holds off on LBs until I have lots of Elder Statesmen at the ready and am cranking out horses, guns and SoLs. The fat king doesn't see me coming 'till its too late. :p

You don't strictly have to produce LBs to get FFs -- if you develop high-production cities and have them crank out Political Points, it gets you FFs without triggering REF increases. I am a coward who holds off on LBs until I have lots of Elder Statesmen at the ready and am cranking out horses, guns and SoLs. The fat king doesn't see me coming 'till its too late. :p

if you develop high-production cities and have them crank out Political Points, it gets you FFs without triggering REF increases. :p

Is this true? Sorry to doubt you but I often see two people saying the opposite things. Anyone else confirm?

Confirmed. You can crack out any of the FF points, not just political. :)

Top Bottom