An update from Firaxis about the Colonization patch

Civilization IV: Colonization Patch 1.01 is up on the official website.

Sounds a bit like patchmod/aod1.0-1 to me... think ill stick with Dale til firaxis catch up!

Don't install the patch if you also want to play AoD2 1.07. At least, for me, once I installed the patch I got a ctd each time I would start a new game in AoD2. It would start to generate the map and boom...

AOD2 is NOT compatible with this patch.

Though, the list of fixes is consistent with PatchMod, so if you only play AOD2 wait for me to update. :)

I just found a bug in the original that is a little ironic. "Check for updates" doesn't find the update.

That's ironic to say the least. And on top of that when I download the patch file from Firaxis and try to install it I get the error message "The setup has detected that no version of Sid Meier's Civilization IV Colonization is installed. This update requires that a previous version of the application be installed." It is installed and I've been playing it. I uninstalled and reinstalled it and still got the same error message (but I could still play the game -- ver 1.00). I originally downloaded the game from GameStop and have had no trouble playing the game since then. For some reason the patch doesn't recognize the GameStop download version of the game. Does anyone have a clue about how to get the patch to install? Thanks for any help.

CB

Education point threshold increases per city, as intended, rather than per player

Hmm... This does explain a few things.

So overeducating in single town makes education go slower in that town only, thus encouraging school building in other towns, or at least balanced education in most towns.

It's pity that this patch got that late, when interest in this game diminished (mostly due to issues already fixed in patch).

'as intended' - yes I noticed that too. This single point caused a huge amount of acrimonious debate that could have been easily avoided by someone saying 'Oops, got that wrong, will be fixed in the patch' - like 6 mths ago.

Late, but not bad. At least they did something to improve (by thanking Dale and Snoopy). Well, most of us had been playing and enjoying AOD2. But still, I'm one of those people who always care for the 'Original' stuff, no matter how bad it is.

The reason Firaxis got lazy in case of 'Colonization' resulted in almost a failure for this game. I mean, money is important. But from marketing point-of-view, more important than how many games are sold is that, how many customers got satisfied. And in case of 'Colonization', I don't think there was even a reasonable percentage of people who bought this game. What 'Dale' and 'Snoopy' were doing, can be just said as 'they were saving 'Firaxis' asses. Just a simple 'Thanks' is not enough for that.

'Dissatisfied customers' is the biggest problem any company should have in current highly competitive market. It should never be taken easy. I'm writing all this just because I love all the games by the name 'Sid' on them. I believe many others in this forum do that as well. But this can not remain same always. We can find many big companies of the past got corrupted just because of mishandling their customers. I hope 'Firaxis' look that out.

The patch will, one hopes, persuade a new round of gamers to take the plunge. It's inspired me. I was reluctant as too many fans of the game were lukewarm about the game and if the enthusiasts aren't enthusiastic, then...

So can you trade a variable quantity of goods, or its the same all or nothing?

So can you trade a variable quantity of goods, or its the same all or nothing?

It's the same. :shifty:

Somethings never change so easily. :spear:

Looks like they stole a lot from Dale and Snoopy.

Will there be a new patchmod to fill in anything missing?

Only AoD2. It was a lot of work doing 3 mods after release. I'm working on other projects now, so only have time for 1 Col mod. And of course, I'm going to pick AoD2. :)

AI tries to produce more defenders in their settlements

I can confirm this change. I declared war on England in 1600 and sent twice my usual assault force - 12 units in two galleons supported by a privateer. The English trumped that, Jamestown was defended by 13 units (including 9 dragoons) and a frigate. :(

Top Bottom