Automated Workers

Felix953

Chieftain
Guys, I have a doubt about how automated workers work more concretely. For example, if I am playing with Brazil and I have many jungle tiles inside my territory, is expected to build on them the brazilwood camp improvement. If I don't have the technology to construct that improvement yet, automated workers will start chopping my jungle tiles or they will wait till I can make brazilwood camp? In options should I order them to don't replace improvements or to don't clear marshes, jungles and forests except when improving a luxury resource? What options should I choose in order to have a consistent strategy using automated workers?

they'll probably chop the jungle. However I would suggest not using automate.

Connect luxuries, food / production and roads. Roughly in that order and you're good. 1 worker per city is usually more than enough, after a while you can ditch a few or use them in your wars for repairing pillaged tiles or building roads.

There is a general consensus never to automate workers as they are useless.

There is a general consensus never to automate workers as they are useless.

Ok, maybe not at the begining but there is a point in the game when u could set few workers automate.

When most of the work its done, they can go at their own

Ok, maybe not at the begining but there is a point in the game when u could set few workers automate.

When most of the work its done, they can go at their own

Once you get the empire going, and have huge mass of land it's probably a good idea to automate.

Once you get the empire going, and have huge mass of land it's probably a good idea to automate.

They build me railroads when I forget about those.

I used to automate workers, but then they would destroy all my farms and replace them with trading posts, because I switched to a gold/science focus. Yeah, my citizens don't need food, THEY CAN EAT GOLD.

Yeah, I don't automate them anymore.

I used to automate workers, but then they would destroy all my farms and replace them with trading posts, because I switched to a gold/science focus. Yeah, my citizens don't need food, THEY CAN EAT GOLD.

That makes me wonder: why can't we buy food from other civs?

There's a setting that stops them from build on top of existing improvements.

I automate a couple once I run out of things I need them to do. All resources improved, roads build. I have them set not to build on other improvements.

They go improve resources that get picked up by cultural growth, build trading posts in puppets, railroads.

I would never automate them before that and only automate two of them. If I really have nothing else to do beyond those two I turn any others into soylent green via the delete button.

If you automate workers, put on the
"don't remove features"
and
"don't remove existing improvements"

Then have at least one worker that you control (chop the forests/jungles/marshes you want removed.. and change the TP/farm/mines to what you want)

If you automate workers, put on the
"don't remove features"
and
"don't remove existing improvements"

Yes, you should do it. On the other hand, under this settings worker will build traiding post on marsh:goodjob: giving you 1food+1gold tile.

Automated workers sux, but when you have a lot of cities you have no other choice.

Automated workers are completely horrendous and one of the primary reasons why the AI can't compete with the human player on Prince difficulty. Don't automate your workers unless you just don't care or the game is already won.

If workers algorithms were improved, everybody could move down on or two difficulty levels. A main problem is automated workers are far too interested in connecting cities with roads and will ignore more pressing tasks.

Addressing OP's question more directly: Your workers will almost certainly start cutting down the jungle to build farms - they will not be waiting for the Brazilwood improvement.

Guys, I have a doubt about how automated workers work more concretely. For example, if I am playing with Brazil and I have many jungle tiles inside my territory, is expected to build on them the brazilwood camp improvement. If I don't have the technology to construct that improvement yet, automated workers will start chopping my jungle tiles or they will wait till I can make brazilwood camp? In options should I order them to don't replace improvements or to don't clear marshes, jungles and forests except when improving a luxury resource? What options should I choose in order to have a consistent strategy using automated workers?

We agree. For the fall balance patch, we've added quite a bit of worker AI to accommodate the custom abilities of a number of civs.

That makes me wonder: why can't we buy food from other civs?
<sarcasm>

Yes, if only there was some civilization that wasn't trying to win and would give you food to your capital for a little diplomacy and gifts, or all of you cities for a bit more effort.

Why can't we have a food version of the cultural city states? If only someone thought of adding that at some point!

</sarcasm>

That aside, don't automate workers. The AI is stupid, that's why the AI neds to cheat to compete, so why let it think for you?

I often find unimproved resources in AI capitals LATE GAME. Not pillaged. Never improved. Things like improved salt in the capital. That is how bad the AI is. You would think that with all its bonuses it could have one worker assigned to the capital.

Actually I wish you could assign a worker to a city. Put him in the city's sphere and then click an "improve resources" button and he would work on improving resources in the city and wake up when they all done.

The AI itself could then use that logic to assign workers to its most important cities until they were fully improved.

I don't know what's worse: automated Workers or automated Scouts. I find that when I automate Scouts, they tend to go off and explore every nook and cranny of the north and south poles, but large chunks of the interiors of continents are left unexplored (even though I have Open Borders with the Civs on those continents). :crazyeye:

I don't know what's worse: automated Workers or automated Scouts. I find that when I automate Scouts, they tend to go off and explore every nook and cranny of the north and south poles, but large chunks of the interiors of continents are left unexplored (even though I have Open Borders with the Civs on those continents). :crazyeye:

I hate when they do the dance where they just keep moving back and forth between the same tiles, especially in the water. It usually happens on land if a barb camp is in the way. They should snap out of auto if something is messing with their plan. Heck, I'd love it if they would snap out whenever a hostile unit is near.

Actually I wish you could assign a worker to a city. Put him in the city's sphere and then click an "improve resources" button and he would work on improving resources in the city and wake up when they all done.

That used to be in CIV. I don't know why they got rid of it. They also had a setting to just work on connecting cities.

If you want to be good at this game, never ever ever ever ever ever automate your workers. Ever.

Top Bottom