HOW TO: Create a Civilization

mrkingkong said:
EDIT: when you say about the text files(i.e. you dont like it when people use the default text files,etc) , do you mean you can just have the one file, literally just enter what you want into it. Rather than following the naming pattern of the other files. Or is that just stupid (its not what iv done with my mod by the way)

One file.
Try deleting all the entries in a copied text file and entering your own. Or download mine and customize it from there.

Also note, you don't even NEED a text reference file if you plan to directly enter all your text information into the actual files themselves. For instance, instead of referencing city names (TXT_KEY_CITY_CHICAGO) you can just type in city names into the city list directly (Chicago) -- along with leader names and other things. The main purpose of a text reference file is for multiple languages, imo.

SoCalian said:
how do Imake a UU?

... wow that would be a long response. But basically you want to find an entry within the unit list that you plan to make your unit replace. Copy the entire Unit's reference -- then change its type to your type (not the class). Afterwards you want to reference the UU in the Civilizations xml info files.

Hi, i am currently workin on the Frisian Civilization. I just started, so i only have the concept and preperations at the moment. I am planning to do it with two leaders. So I wondered if it is possible to add two special unitis. One for the first (Grûtte Pier) and one for the second leader (King Redbad). So the special unit of the first leader isn't present, when you choose the second (and the other way around).

I am also wondering if i can make the two leaders extra suspcious and wary againts foreign religions and neighboring civs.

I'm gonna hold off work on this for a bit -- finals are coming up here at college. Check back in a week or so and I'll have all your questions answered and a lot of information up on the first page.

I have a fixed version of it in the link above, but some of the art work isn't working, i'm not sure what the problem is, since I followed you directions exactly.

SoCalian said:
I have a fixed version of it in the link above, but some of the art work isn't working, i'm not sure what the problem is, since I followed you directions exactly.

Your leaderheads are stretched to 1024x512 pixels... that could explain some kind of graphical errors. You want the pixels at 512x512 -- the stretching of 125% width doesn't mean adding another 100% to the width...

Just get your base image at 512x512 -- and without manipulating the canvas size -- stretch the actual image inside the canvas to 125% width... Lincoln on the first page is a good example.

SoCalian said:
can you do that with paint?

You can -- but it's difficult.
  1. Go to Image - > Stretch/Skew.
  2. Set Stretch to 125% and click okay.
  3. Now select 512x512 pixels of the image.
  4. Copy that.
  5. Make a new image at 512x512, and paste.

Sorry didn't mean to post here at all so I deleted my post

But ahem, since I'm here... anyone knows how to change the existing leader's traits? :D

Jecrell said:
You can -- but it's difficult.
  1. Go to Image - > Stretch/Skew.
  2. Set Stretch to 125% and click okay.
  3. Now select 512x512 pixels of the image.
  4. Copy that.
  5. Make a new image at 512x512, and paste.
ok, how would you specify a 512x512 square to crop with?

mrkingkong said:
Thanks for your reply. However i dont beleive that the problem is the leaderheads as i just defined default leaders i.e. one of my races was formally Germany so i left the leader art as Bismarck.

I am going to take a shot at this just because of your last sentence here.

Perhaps you have the Leader "Bismark" being used twice in your CIV4CivilizationsInfo.XML file? I am not positive, but I don't think the game would like you having the same leader for two Civs?

Perhaps you should make a copy of Bismark and just add in a quick new leader that isn't used anywhere else.

I cant save my alpha channel:cry: . I keep clicking save in paint AND in Dxtbmp but everytime i reload it it is just white:cry:

arseface said:
I cant save my alpha channel:cry: . I keep clicking save in paint AND in Dxtbmp but everytime i reload it it is just white:cry:

Do you save it first, or you reload it first?
i reload first, and save after.

By the way... that you so much Jecrell for your indepth advices and for all the hard work.

But... i did all you said before, and i still have problems with this:
My team color is white and I have a flag (white with a blue cross) all done, and i made the Alpha channel all black except the blue cross (i think black means transparent, right?so, i wanted all white except the cross). anyhow all i get is a white flag with a BLACK cross! Where do you think i messed up ?

thanks in advance (did u get you finals score yet?)
:king:

Great tutorial, I'm having a bit of a problem with my civ though. Everything plays great for about 20 turns then crash to desktop. All of the graphics load as expected, leaderhead looks good. I've made contact without other races without problems. Eventually though its just crash, bang, and out. Any ideas or any place I can look for a troubleshooting log? I've tried the output dump from the civ ini, but I can't make any sense of the output.

darkpaw said:
Great tutorial, I'm having a bit of a problem with my civ though. Everything plays great for about 20 turns then crash to desktop. All of the graphics load as expected, leaderhead looks good. I've made contact without other races without problems. Eventually though its just crash, bang, and out. Any ideas or any place I can look for a troubleshooting log? I've tried the output dump from the civ ini, but I can't make any sense of the output.

I've had the same problem before -- it stopped eventually -- I had no idea what I did eventually to stop it.

I'm assuming it might have to do with restarting the terminal, clearing the cache, or mudding around in the XML. Sorry I can't be a big help, but when I did a complete revamp of the game's Civilizations in another mod, I got the same kind of problem and thought I was going crazy.

I'm back again to work on this tutorial btw. Sorry it's been a while.

Have you encountered a pink box appearing where your leaderhead should be while trying to use it in multiplayer? Because that is what is happening to me and I don't know why. My LH looks fine in singleplayer but shows up as a pink box in any LAN or Internet game I create even if I'm the only one playing it.

arseface said:

I'm having a similiar problem. I downloaded a mod and it works fine. The problem is the flag shows all white. So I've been trying to change the flag using the guide here in this thread.

I change the alpha to black (is it supposed to be all white and then all black?) and then save both. When I load it up again it's back to white.

I'm still somewhat new at modding or editing mods and such, but I'm betting this is also causing the flag in game to be all white. Any help would be most appreciated.

I'm also going to load the original dds and the flagDecal from the mod in the hopes that if the fix is above my head someone may be able to fix it for me LoL.

Edit : had to put them in a zip file as wasn't uploading in the base format.

ok, in DTXbmp, when I go to edit the alpha channel, to make it black, it goes to edit in paint, I fill to black, then click save. Now should it show up as black in the alpha channel window in DTXbmp?

generalshake said:
I'm having a similiar problem. I downloaded a mod and it works fine. The problem is the flag shows all white. So I've been trying to change the flag using the guide here in this thread.

I change the alpha to black (is it supposed to be all white and then all black?) and then save both. When I load it up again it's back to white.

I'm still somewhat new at modding or editing mods and such, but I'm betting this is also causing the flag in game to be all white. Any help would be most appreciated.

I'm also going to load the original dds and the flagDecal from the mod in the hopes that if the fix is above my head someone may be able to fix it for me LoL.

Edit : had to put them in a zip file as wasn't uploading in the base format.

Well I was able to set the alpha to black. Now the flag shows up in game. However it has a blue tint over it. When I open it in the dds editer thing the alpha is back to showing white. Either way half the battle is over. I welcome any advice on removing the blue tint though.

Top Bottom