3 reasons for civ 4 over civ 5

phillip1882

Prince
Supporter
the first reason i like civ 4 more than civ 5, is that the tech tree seem more natural to me. every tech either develops a new military unit, a new civic, or a new building/wonder, and sometimes more than one.
in civ 5 there are several techs that just improve production or happiness or some other minor effect.

the second reason is probably the biggest for me, the cpu actually offers a significant challenge, even on normal difficulty, at least for me.

the third is that wonders have a significant role in the game. oracling bureaucracy can net you some hefty bonus points, and pyramids give you early access to representation for your gp farms for example. the primary reason to get wonders in civ 5 is for the culture bonus, most of them are useless enough that it would be faster to get the bonus the wonder provides by building the corresponding building/unit.

Yes, the wonders stopped being wonderful.
The land specials stopped being anything really special.

There's a lot more... Science mechanic, UPT system, leader traits, and more. I prefer traditional traits because they are balanced, and still offer unique leaders/playstyles. They also encourage playing several leaders. I'm what you might call a "wonder whore", so in 5, I always played Ramesses, but I play several leaders in 4... Unfortunately, 6 seems to be suffering the same fate. Hopefully the community will work together on it.

Just three?? :eek:

OK, I'll play along... just one reason.. it's so damn BORING!! Nothing interesting to do, no interesting choices to make, nothing you do makes much difference and the constant shuffling of units around is just a chore.

Otherwise, good. ;)

I don't like the built-in incentives to keep your empire so small -- 4 or 5 cities.
There are small wonders that provide free "_______" in your first 4 cities. But build (or conquer) any more than that, and you're stuck building them all from scratch.

Global happiness is upside down; instead of fearing for their lives, my people get happier if one of my far-flung cities is conquered, and the size of my empire decreases? WTF?

Science = population makes me feel like Civ V is a bin-filling game, not running an empire. 1-upt renders the war AI completely incompetent.

There are other reasons but those are my main 2.

3 reasons for life over death.

I kinda like to live.
Being dead must be boring, cold and lonely. Maggots. Kind of a game changer.
Depending on your religious view, stacks of doom might actually be a thing.

3 reasons for life over death.

I kinda like to live.
Being dead must be boring, cold and lonely. Maggots. Kind of a game changer.
Depending on your religious view, stacks of doom might actually be a thing.

Nah mate. When it comes to death I much prefer 1UPT:
Spoiler :

I would show a pic of Stack of Death (holocaust), but I'm pretty sure I would be banned by a mod for showing gore on a family forum.

My 3 dislikes about civ 5 (if I can remember correctly, its been many years since I tried it last time)

1) Feel like no control of empire and cities (no manually controlling science/espionage/gold/culture. what you got is what you got. Cities was a nightmare to micromanage (could have been I wasnt used to the GUI, but wasnt very intuitive. Global Happiness. No flexible "Civics")

2) 1UPT and everything this brought with it (if you only have space for 20 units per civ instead of 200, then everything had to be slooooooowed dooooowwwwnnnn. Carpet of Doom was a nightmare to move. AI had no idea what to do strategically. Ships magically appeared when units walked into water.
Dont get me wrong, I like 1upt in many games, but the movement system with units moving 1 or 2 tiles isnt geared to 1UPT. It was like playing chess with only pawns on the board.

3) Complete lack of lust for "1 more turn". Iirc I came from Rise of Mankind, a great mod that gave birth to Caveman2Cosmos and all its modmods, A new Dawn, A New Dawn 2 and partly (the tech tree) my own VIP and prolly more. ROM was interesting from start to finish, and I think many of us had hoped they (firaxis) had looked at it and drawn inspiration from it.
Instead they brought a "bad word" to the table. Streamlining.

3 reasons for civ 4 over civ 5

- When I think of IV, things are nice, I stay positive, and a giant turd doesn´t come up into my mind.

- I feel free to try out whatever interests my imagination at the start of a new game, knowing it might actually work in IV!! And... of course, I can raze any city in the map.

- By the time being, to play IV, I don't need a computer anymore.

2) Civ4 doesn't require Steam.

Really? I had problems with Steam recently and wasn't able to get any new games - that's one reason why I've only just now got Civ 4.

One reason for Civ4 over Civ5 is that 4 is less demanding spec wise, and will probably run better on older PCs (Civ 5 is fine on my laptop, but 4 runs even better even on huge maps).

- I feel free to try out whatever interests my imagination at the start of a new game, knowing it might actually work in IV!!

Not to mention that what works in one game may not work in another. That makes thing interesting, forces you try different things all the time.

Good luck finding it anywhere else but Steam these days though, if someone doesn't already have it.

Well there is GoG I guess.

For me a lot comes down to the extremely stupid or non existant AI.
The 1 UP system is horrible as the AI has no clue how to handle it which makes it even dumber. The AI diplomacy is so bad it also makes the AI more handicapped.

But of course you have everything else like wonders, policies, expansion, happiness, slow pace, steam etc.

I don't actually mind social policies on principle. The real problem is the execution, making some trees overpowered and others useless, but then you have the same situation in Civ4 with Slavery vs Serfdom for example so I don't think that's a fair point. What I do like about Civ5 is that they made culture actually useful apart from expanding your borders.

I can't believe you guys are still :) :) :) :):) :) :) :):) :) :) :):) :) :) :):) :) :) :)ing about Civ V, it came out like 5 or 6 years ago lol

Top Bottom