Turn Discussion Thread I - Turns 1-50

+1 SW. If there is seafood out there it may be well worth not settling on that hills and settling where the warrior should (will) move next turn...we still get all those resources and fresh water for +2 :health:.

+1 SW. If there is seafood out there it may be well worth not settling on that hills and settling where the warrior should (will) move next turn...we still get all those resources and fresh water for +2 :health:.

I doubt many would agree to that. We would lose a p-hills bonus, and another perm 25% defense. This also now allows two key wonder-cities to become razzed by amphibious assaults, and would cause many other complications.

I've just got a feeling that the map is set up so that all teams have a small, resource-packed island with galley access to a much larger central island, and that circumnavigation is not going to be possible until optics.

We know there is land to the east, which is probably that central land mass...

Just a hunch.

Well, to be honest I'm not even sure how to handle such a scenario. Many smaller islands fine, but one much larger continent to be fought over is a bit un-natural to my playing style.

I suppose, we could try to rush-expand over it, while using our early triremes to block other nations from getting over, but without making a colonization, we could tax ourselves to death. At least we can manage OK without the slider so we can handle a bit of pressure.

There is no rule against making a colony is there? We could (if allowed) try to keep expanding that asap and keep gifting cities to that colony, letting it take advantage of the free maintenance, etc. Maybe we could get it powerful enough to do our own teching for us even, and we just help trying to win the military battles over there (AI is sooo stupid).

I've just got a feeling that the map is set up so that all teams have a small, resource-packed island with galley access to a much larger central island, and that circumnavigation is not going to be possible until optics.

We know there is land to the east, which is probably that central land mass...

Just a hunch.

Seems about right, Our landmass is looking mighty island-like atm with onle the possibility of having more land to our south now. We should probably start thinking of how many cities we can cram into tight spaces right now...

There is no rule against making a colony is there?
Vassal States were voted OFF for the game, so not only is there a rule against it but it's also technically impossible. :p

+1 SW FTW.

we see 19 costal tiles without ANY seafood... ....ugly, ulgy, someone seems to have really reduced food to our rice... ...confirms what niklas has posted in demographics thread:

not much food around...

as soon as we see our island, we have to make a solid plan, on how to settle it... ...depending on how island shows in the end, we might even think on delaying mids for optimal city placement if food is really that low and landtiles are rare:confused::crazyeye:

a map exactly like that was already played in another demo-game where dave has designed the map;)... ...I cant really imagine him doing twice ecactly the same, so not sure about this (tglh wouldnt have to be eliminated also, cause a large central landmass also meansfar less costal cities)

If it is the case that this map is largely made up of small islands, CDZ will be rejoicing and we are all royally screwed...

As for not settling the hill in the case of seafood like I suggested, yes obs you're right about the amphibious assaults (especially from CDZ). But, since that hill is only two tiles away from the coast settling it may make it either awkward or even impossible to settle a seafood resource that hypothetically may be there depending on it's location, and, considering the apparent lack of seafood resources, loosing one would not be good. Again though we need to explore more before any possible conclusion can be made...;)

Also, since naval production may be a top priority, it is probably a good idea to keep as many cities coastal as possible.

1 NE of warrior looks like a good hammer site. Thoughts?

Well...so much for my hypothetical situation with having seafood there....

+1 south

We have to absolutely sell out for the Oracle to MC to colossus. It is surely moving up other teams priority boards. More important than pyramids? If so, build oracle right after settler and don't worry about forge prep.

To be clear, I'm suggesting we build Settler -> Oracle -> Forge -> Colossus. Our capital will pop the first GP, we can still build a forge in 2nd city and get our second person a GE. Maybe the pyramids are still available at that time, with everyone expecting a GE Pyramid perhaps they won't want to invest the hammers.

Top Bottom