Vanilla Civ

jonburke

Chieftain
Hi, I am running Civ2 MGE on Windows 7. I am interested in the following:

1) Can I also downgrade Civ2 MGE to Vanilla Civ?

2) Are there some standard rules for increasing above the diety level? What is Diety + 4, for example.

3) Is there some challenge where, at a high enough level beyond diety, it become a notable achievement to win at all. Diety + 10?

1. If you are running a 64-bit version of Windows, it won't work, it won't run. If you're running 32-bit, it should work fine.

2. Under Classic, you can get deity plus levels (up to deity plus five) by editing the game.txt file.

Go under the Computer folder, then click on the MPS or MicroProse Software folder. Then, click on the Civ2 folder, then click on the game.txt file. It should open up in Notepad (otherwise, tell Windows to open it up with Notepad) Scroll down to @DIFFICULTY and add levels below Deity. You can't get more (functioning) levels than five above Deity.

3. The highest level that I remember seeing beat is D+4, during a succession game. See here.
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=321194

Thanks for your information. I'm surprised that my 64-bit version of Windows cannot simulate a 32-bit system. It's too bad.

64-bit can actually run a 16-bit program (Civ2) but you'll need virtualization software like DOSBox. Or getting a spare 32-bit Windows license to run Civ2, in order to get a dual boot mode (where you can boot under 64-bit or 32-bit) 32-bit can replicate a 16-bit environment, but not 64-bit.

The second highest Windows 7, Professional, offers virtualization, if you were wondering.

64-bit can actually run a 16-bit program (Civ2) but you'll need virtualization software like DOSBox. Or getting a spare 32-bit Windows license to run Civ2, in order to get a dual boot mode (where you can boot under 64-bit or 32-bit) 32-bit can replicate a 16-bit environment, but not 64-bit.

DosBox will run original Civ2?? :confused:

Top Bottom