Capto Iugulum

Definitely too early to start thinking about the Chunnel, I'm afraid.

Well the idea was there, if nebulous, since 1800 and serious proposals existed as early as 1919. The technology to build it definitely existed in the 1950's when renewed interest cropped up as well. In almost all cases, politics pushed it back, not necessarily the technical aspects of the challenge.

OOC: Attempts were made in the 19th Century in OTL, such as this one in 1880, which made use of this machine, and could have been successful had it not been for political fears in Britain over security risks. It's honestly probably at least just as likely though that it would have been a catastrophic failure. I simply wanted to get the idea out first before any other Channel nations grabbed it.

IC: We are proposing this merely as a long term idea, a dream, which may not come to fruition for generations.

I'll take a look into researching an early Chunnel, and get back with my response.

To: Poland

We are offering a mutual defensive pact; we believe that this can benefit both our nations, as well as help alleviate the Proletarist threat.

This is a splendid idea. Naturally, Serbia should be included.

Serbia accepts Hungary's proposal.

Also, upon research, a Channel tunnel can be built, though it will be expensive.

If you guys don't make a cool name for it, I swear I will blow it up. :p

@Crezth: Well, it'll be expensive no matter when we choose to build it, so we might as well build it sooner so we can begin reaping the rewards sooner. What do you say?

@Double A: I'm temped to name it the Channel Tunnel, just to cause a huge international incident :p that'd be an interesting cause for WWI...

@EQ: Can I get a ballpark estimate for the EP cost? Or do I have to launch an inquiry IC?

@m.t. cicero, you would have to inquire ICly with a survey, but expect a cost upward of 4,000 EP.

Why would the USA want a channel? They would earn more money moving other nations goods through themselves, rather than allow their ships just easily pass through water... And losing it would be insanely bad...

It's probably to get goods from California to the East Coast or something?

It's probably to get goods from California to the East Coast or something?

They can do that on land. The real problem is goods from France to Japan. The USA could demand a much higher price for allowing goods to move through its lands, rather than let a ship for very cheap just pass a little canal.

They can do that on land. The real problem is goods from France to Japan. The USA could demand a much higher price for allowing goods to move through its lands, rather than let a ship for very cheap just pass a little canal.

It's a lot slower and more expensive that way. For the USA as well.

What if what you want to move is a ship? You can't move ships over land. And overland transport is more expensive and takes a lot more time for everybody, including ourselves. Not to mention that since we own the canal, we can charge whatever we want for its use and make a profit, rather than have those ships go around the tip of South America, since they certainly won't want to go via land (I'm sure even going around the tip is cheaper than land transport). It also helps the economy of the region; put a bar by the canal, and you'll always be fed by the sailors passing through looking to get drunk.

To: Empire of Brazil

We would like to extend a cordial invitation to sign a mutual protection pact between our two nations.

TO: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland

May peace long reign in the western hemisphere. We accept.

To: Empire of Spain

This treaty between Britain and Brazil should be as disturbing to you as it is disturbing to us. Perhaps, for the sake of preserving the balance of power in the region, we should sign mutual defense pacts as well.

To: Empire of Scandinavia, Republic of the Netherlands

Brazil has shown belligerence in regards to your colonial holdings in South America, and Britain is backing Brazil up. We have no claims on your colonies, and we recommend that you also join a pact to curb the aggression of the Brazillians and British.

To: Britain

So, without committing to the project at this point, would you like to agree to make a committee formed from members of our nations' governments and businesses which would conduct a joint inquiry into the viability and profitability of a tunnel under the Channel?

Top Bottom