Recommended map size/AIs?

No idea what u just said, sorry??
In general (not sure if this affects every map script):
1. Find your CIV4WorldInfo.xml file. Mine is located at C:\Program Files (x86)\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Beyond the Sword\Mods\Caveman2Cosmos36\Assets\XML\GameInfo
2.Right click the file, pick edit to open in a text program (e.g notepad)
3.You'll find
<iGridWidth>10</iGridWidth>
<iGridHeight>6</iGridHeight>

with some parameters under every worldsize option. For example changing <iGridWidth>10</iGridWidth> to <iGridWidth>11</iGridWidth> should change 40 tiles wide map to 44 tile one.

For custom maps:
1. Find a map script. For example C2C_PerfectWorld2f.py. Mine are located at C:\Program Files (x86)\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Beyond the Sword\Mods\Caveman2Cosmos36\PrivateMaps
2.Right click the file, pick edit
3. Many custom maps seem to have in their script parameters you can change:

For example you can find the bolded parts in C2C_PerfectWorld2f.py(these might be more or less different looking for different map scripts):

self.landPercent = 0.4 (would be 40% land area)

and

def getGridSize(argsList):
grid_sizes = {
WorldSizeTypes.WORLDSIZE_DUEL: (12, 8),
WorldSizeTypes.WORLDSIZE_TINY: (15, 10),
WorldSizeTypes.WORLDSIZE_SMALL: (18, 12),
WorldSizeTypes.WORLDSIZE_STANDARD: (24, 16),
WorldSizeTypes.WORLDSIZE_LARGE: (30, 20),
WorldSizeTypes.WORLDSIZE_HUGE: (36, 24) #,
# 6: (42, 28),
# 7: (48, 32)
}
if (argsList[0] == -1): # (-1,) is passed to function on loads
return []
[eWorldSize] = argsList
return grid_sizes[eWorldSize]

For example Changing (48, 32) to (55, 15) would change map height and width for the gigantic map size option. New gigantic map size would now change from 48x32x4=6144 tiles to 55x15x4=3300 tiles.

Edit: Also you'll want to remove # character since in python it means comment and anything after it on a line has no effect.

Hmm maybe the random seed is/was causing the CTD. No idea myself
I'm using the version 36 downloaded from moddb a while back.

I could call myself experienced but I'm not, eventhough I've been playing Civ4 many years I've always sucked at it (sucked at strategy / RTS games in general lol). Usually been playing on Warlord and barely beating Noble on vanilla games. My only victory condition is Conquest.

(PS. I've been getting familiar with the DLL sources in the past few days, any specific pieces of code or such that ThunderBrd want me to take a look at for any errors or mistakes? Should I PM TB or where should I post about these kind of DLL related questions?)

Yes PM T-brd and he can give you specifics. He just posted he needs to look at some Tags for streamlining/making more efficient. Any Help you can provide him would be a Big Big Help and we All would be very appreciative. Thanks. :D

JosEPh

In general (not sure if this affects every map script):
1. Find your CIV4WorldInfo.xml file. Mine is located at C:\Program Files (x86)\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Beyond the Sword\Mods\Caveman2Cosmos36\Assets\XML\GameInfo.

You should change Caveman2Cosmos36 to Caveman2Cosmos. Remove the "36".

Not using Caveman2Cosmos will cause problems ingame. :)

Yes PM T-brd and he can give you specifics. He just posted he needs to look at some Tags for streamlining/making more efficient. Any Help you can provide him would be a Big Big Help and we All would be very appreciative. Thanks. :D

JosEPh

hmm... that could actually be a very good way to get started with dll modding. I could explain how to make these conversions, identify one tag at a time to convert. Each one will take a bit of effort both in the dll and the xml.

Any idea what problems? Haven't noticed any.

To quote The Supreme Commander:

Again to everyone, PLEASE name ur playing folder to "Caveman2Cosmos", otherwise u will get errors, maybe not right away or even quite a while BUT sooner or later u will have errors, so again PLEASE, Caveman2Cosmos, MUST be the name NO MATER WHAT. .. SO

If I remember correctly, some C++ programs may use "Caveman2Cosmos" in the code. So after many hours of trouble free playing - CTD, if not using the correct name.

Just a warning. :)

Any idea what problems? Haven't noticed any.

Some have reported user interface issues. It's also infuriating to debug a game saved on a mod folder named other than the norm. Adds hours to the task.

Some have reported user interface issues. It's also infuriating to debug a game saved on a mod folder named other than the norm. Adds hours to the task.

And this is my main point i was really referring to in the OTHER threads . . . thx TB .

JosEPh

Alright thanks but there's gonna be a small delay.. I got interested some time ago about the ~4gb memory limit because of 32bit apps. I searched my old C++ programmings from ages ago and found my old DLL hook code which I'll try to modify for Civ4. So I can do DLL injection on Civ4 to run my custom code, more specifically load all the DLL files or the mod's DLL file to a shared memory map in RAM.

So the hook process will have 4GB RAM for those required DLLs to use and will free Civ4 process' memory to basically use total of ~8GB RAM.

I have a basic plan designed.. it should be possible, maybe.. in theory
I've seen it done on few other games without access to the game core's source

But I assume it'll be against TOS though

@bobwwd,
I hope you succeed.

JosEPh :)

Alright thanks but there's gonna be a small delay.. I got interested some time ago about the ~4gb memory limit because of 32bit apps. I searched my old C++ programmings from ages ago and found my old DLL hook code which I'll try to modify for Civ4. So I can do DLL injection on Civ4 to run my custom code, more specifically load all the DLL files or the mod's DLL file to a shared memory map in RAM.

So the hook process will have 4GB RAM for those required DLLs to use and will free Civ4 process' memory to basically use total of ~8GB RAM.

I have a basic plan designed.. it should be possible, maybe.. in theory
I've seen it done on few other games without access to the game core's source

But I assume it'll be against TOS though
Wow... that could be a major breakthrough! Fascinating.

Wow... that could be a major breakthrough! Fascinating.

It's gonna be fairly easy to the injection phase but I'm still unsure how I will override Civ4.exe's DLL loading routines to replace it with my hook's loading routines. But I have the whole day to do some research hehe. Then "redirect" Civ4 to read the memory from the address space where the hook process has stored it in RAM or pagefile.

I'm really excited, haven't done much programming lately and I'm interested to see if it'll work

EDIT: Alright, it seems to be far more complicated than I thought (sharing the gamedata between the processes, especially when you don't have access to the game source. But it is possible, it just requires some time and alot of programming. It is also possible to allocate and store Civ4 process data during gameplay when the gameworld fills up with units and other stuff to the hook process up to the ~4GB and once that limit is reached, Civ4 can use its' own 4GB. It must be a 4GB+4GB, both 32bit processes, since 32bit and 64bit processes cannot share data and "communicate" with eachother via injection. One thing that will surely help is the access to the mod's DLL sources if my other ideas fail). I'll try to get as far as I can and release the sources somewhere if I feel like giving up so someone else can see if they have an idea.
Don't know how long this'll take but let's just say a long time :D Good thing that I've always liked challenging projects hehe

I'll do my best, it always bothered me when I couldn't finish a long game I've been playing for weeks because of MAFs
Although this kind of programming is kinda new to me so it'll take some time to do some testing and learn. I'll start with my own old games I programmed long time ago and do testing on them first

And I wanna play a full Gigantic map with a lot of civs with conquest victory condition only :D This hook'll be my solution

Some sources I was looking through for the basic idea
https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa366551%28v=vs.85%29.aspx
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1200998/sharing-memory-between-two-processes-c-windows

Any feedback is welcome if someone has experience on memory mapping or such. When I get going and get the basic code working with the basic idea I'll start a new topic or something if someone's interested to know about the progress
But I need to know if that's allowed, since this project will surely require disassembling/reverse-engineering (but not necessarily, I haven't got in to that point yet but I'm assuming the "worst" here) of the Civ exe and such to find the executable's main entry point and other stuff, though it will depend what info I'll need from the exe.
If it's not allowed I will respect that and speak no more of it

You'd have to check with firaxis or the forum admins. I can't be sure of what you can and cannot get away with there legally.

Thanks, I'll contact them. I tried to search for forums rules but didn't find any or I'm blind.. Where are the rules?

I´m playing on the SVN version now. I think the AI works alot better now. But I can´t play with so many civs or a big map because of the loading time between turns.
I would like so big a map as possible + extra civs, and with barbarian world+barbarian civ mod. I´ve started on big maps and alot of civs and are currently working my way down, until I notice a setting that wont have to long loading time between turns..
I´m currently gonna test standard map(with 50 % landmass) and 10 civs but without the barbarian civ mod.

BR Loffas

If you think the game is too slow, there are options available to speed it up.

ESC key-> options

(game tab)
show enemy moves
show friendly moves
quick moves
quick combat (offense)
quick combat (defense)
stack attack

(graphics tab)
no combat zoom

You miss out on some eye candy but turns will go much faster.

Thanks, I'll contact them. I tried to search for forums rules but didn't find any or I'm blind.. Where are the rules?

Not sure...

Top Bottom